Your Book Activity - July 2013

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh good, this sounds promising. But I have now got caught up in Megacatastrophes! which I am enjoying far more than I imagined I would.

Oh, that looks like fun!

I've decided my next book will be The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton.

I read and enjoyed that many years ago.

I've just finished No and Me by Delphine de Vigan and still reading The Missing Manuscript of Jane Austen. OH has just finished reading Fibber in the Heat by Miles Jupp, so that will be my next read, and looking forward to it, as it fits nicely in with the Ashes summer. :smile2:

I've finally finished Hit Girls by Dreda Say Mitchell. I feel like I've been reading it for weeks, but I don't think that's entirely the fault of the book - I've had a super busy July and I think it deserved more than 10 pages at a time while dog tired!

I'm now starting Summer by Edith Wharton for the Reading Circle.

x

I quite liked this one, I hope you do too :).

I read and enjoyed that many years ago.

I've just finished The Andromeda Strain and I really enjoyed it. I had vague recollections from the movie but no where near enough that I could remember what was going to happen. Not too sure what to read next, I shall decide in the morning.

The lovely Kay has lent me some books, so my TBR has increased thus:

The Borrower by Rebecca Makkai

The Moving Toyshop by Edmund Crispin

Q: A Love Story by Evan Mandery

Lady Into Fox by David Garnett

Awww, that's great :smile2: Her reviews have made me add Lady Into Fox and The Moving Toyshop on my wishlist, I hope you really like them (and the others, too :D)

The lovely Kay has lent me some books, so my TBR has increased thus:

The Borrower by Rebecca Makkai

The Moving Toyshop by Edmund Crispin

Q: A Love Story by Evan Mandery

Lady Into Fox by David Garnett

Yes I'm very sorry about that Claire :blush2: but knowing you they won't be TBR's for long :D Hope you enjoy them :friends0: 

Awww, that's great :smile2: Her reviews have made me add Lady Into Fox and The Moving Toyshop on my wishlist, I hope you really like them (and the others, too :D)

Oh Sari .. you should know by now to take my recommendations with a pinch of salt. I am fairly confident of The Moving Toyshop but then it is quite dotty and might irritate .. same could be said for Lady into Fox .. what can I say? .. I like dotty and irritating :D

Have started The Knot by Mark Watson and it's going good so far, also listening to Dot by Araminta Hall which has taken me a bit by surprise .. I have no idea where it's going. Picked up The Talented Mr Ripley by Patricia Highsmith for a £1  :smile: I have a feeling that it will (rather rudely .. for it hasn't been in the house more than five mins) barge it's way to the top of my TBR ;) Oh dear .. poor Carter Beats the Devil is looking outraged :D

I've last night finished The Great Gatsby, I wasn't impressed on the book as a whole but that was probably more down to the style it was written in rather than the actual plot. The story it's self was very good I just think it took too long to get going and then seemed to be over quicker than expected. I think that the book could have been halved in size without losing a great deal of the plot.

I finished Eye Of The Needle, another rattling good read from Ken Follett & decided to go for a book of short stories next as the summer holidays is a busy time for me & so i've just started The Little Disturbances Of Man  Grace Paley. I've only read the first story so far which wasn't great but hopefully there'll be a few gems in there  :smile:

I finished Eye Of The Needle, another rattling good read from Ken Follett & decided to go for a book of short stories next as the summer holidays is a busy time for me & so i've just started The Little Disturbances Of Man  Grace Paley. I've only read the first story so far which wasn't great but hopefully there'll be a few gems in there  :smile:

Loved Eye of the Needle - one of the best of Ken Follett's in my opinion - and I thought the film was as good as the book too.

I'm currently immersed in a biography:  Peter the Great by Robert K. Massie.  The writing is wonderful, and the history is fascinating.   

Robert K Massie is a superb writer isn't he?  Have you read his tome on Nicholas and Alexandra?  Great reading.

Well, I finally, finally finished Citadel by Kate Mosse.  900 + pages which took nearly all of July to get through :o  .... (other things did get in the way though).  I thoroughly enjoyed it and reckon it's better than Labyrinth and Sepulchre and now finishes off the trilogy nicely.

I'm now making a start on Midnight in St Petersburg by Vanora Bennett.

I finished listening to Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban yesterday, and I'm still reading The Missing Manuscript of Jane Austen by Syrie James.  The downside of my Gromit hunting is that I've had less time for reading this week, so it's taking much longer to read than I'd anticipated!  Very enjoyable though :smile2:

I'm on the last lap of Sorry by Zoran Drvenkar. I'm not a huge fan of thrillers these days, but it was well-reviewed and, even allowing for the odd lumpy translation, it certainly is a chiller.  To quote the blurb:

Kris, Tamara, Wolf and Frauke set up an agency called Sorry. An agency to
right wrongs. Unfair dismissals, the wrongly accused: everyone has a price, and
Sorry will find out what it is. It’s as simple as that.

What they hadn’t counted on was their next client being a cold-hearted
killer. But who is the killer and why has he killed? Someone is mocking them and
hell is only just beginning.

Oh Sari .. you should know by now to take my recommendations with a pinch of salt. I am fairly confident of The Moving Toyshop but then it is quite dotty and might irritate .. same could be said for Lady into Fox .. what can I say? .. I like dotty and irritating :D

What do you mean I should know by now :D I think I've yet to come by a book you've liked and I've disliked, or vice versa. So far we've had a spookily similar taste in books! :)  (Although I think it would be against all odds that we should continue on this lovely path of ours forever... Which shall be the book that will break us apart... :wibbly:  :lol: )

No real book activity lately. I'm still reading Replay and enjoying it, but I feel like my mojo's left me. I blame summer :shrug: