Your Book Activity - July 2013

No, this is only my second Du Maurier.  I do intend to read more, and regardless of how I feel about The House on the Strand when I've finished it, it won't put me off reading more.  Looks like I'll have to try My Cousin Rachel next ;)

Oi! I read your subsequent posts on here and didn't see you commenting on reading MCR... :giggle2: It's a great book, I highly recommend :)

I got a book in the mail today, it was The Thoughts and Happenings of Wilfred Price Purveyor of Superior Funerals by Wendy Jones. Thank you very much, chesilbeach! :flowers2:  :smile2: 

I can't remember what was my last recorded book activity in this thread.. Well I finished The Pact by Jodi Picoult (excellent!) and started and finished The Silver Linings Play Book by Matthew Quick (excellent!). Last night I was struggling with what to read next, I tried a few different books, and then started Replay by Ken Grimwood and it was good as far as I got :hide:

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oi! I read your subsequent posts on here and didn't see you commenting on reading MCR... :giggle2: It's a great book, I highly recommend :)

No, I meant my next Du Maurier!!! Funnily enough, at my book group meeting, no-one really liked The House on the Strand much, but everyone raved about Du Maurier and most said My Cousin Rachel was one of their favourites. Definitely on my wishlist now.

Finished The Snow Child.. one of the best book of this year. Still The Millenium Trilogy to finish, I have the last one to read. :readingtwo:  , I have a good weekend in front of me!

x

Sounds good! All those books are on my TBR :). I wish you lots of fun.

Well I finished The Pact by Jodi Picoult (excellent!) and started and finished The Silver Linings Play Book by Matthew Quick (excellent!). Last night I was struggling with what to read next, I tried a few different books, and then started Replay by Ken Grimwood and it was good as far as I got :hide:

x

Sounds good :)! Replay is on my TBR-soon pile.

I finished Summer by Edith Wharton this morning. I've updated my books read and purchased on my Reading Blog. I thought I was doing quite well with not purchasing any books, but it would appear that's not the case. :giggle2: How on earth can I convince myself that I haven't bought that many, and then end up having to add 6 or so books to my Purchased list. :giggle2:

Still wading through The World's Greatest Idea by John Farndon. It's a bit of a struggle at the moment, as some of the 'great ideas' are not what I had in mind. For example, the current 'great idea' I'm reading is 'Romance'. I was hoping for a book full of more technical and tangible inventions, rather than 'fluffy' concepts. It must just be me though because on Amazon it has mostly 4 and 5 star reviews. 

Didn't want anything too brain taxing to read, as it's just too hot, so started Bella Summer Takes A Chance by Michele Gorman, who was one of the featured authors here a little while ago.  This is the third book of hers I've read, and I'm enjoying it a lot.  Between Michele and Jenny Colgan, my enthusiasm for romcoms has been reinvigorated!  I like the fact that they've developed out of the chick-lit genre where it was just about finding Mr. Right, and is now about finding a more satisfying, fulfilling life. :smile2:  About half way through now. :cool:

No, I meant my next Du Maurier!!! Funnily enough, at my book group meeting, no-one really liked The House on the Strand much, but everyone raved about Du Maurier and most said My Cousin Rachel was one of their favourites. Definitely on my wishlist now.

Oh! I got it wrong then, phew :D Well I hope you get to reading the book sometime soon and I really hope you like it! :)

x

Sounds good :)! Replay is on my TBR-soon pile.

Pretty soon everyone who's not read the book and don't have it either on TBR or wishlist are in the minority... We know how's proper pleased :lol:

Didn't get much reading done in bed yesterday, I was knackered! Might have a slow, cosy evening at home so I can read more.

Pretty soon everyone who's not read the book and don't have it either on TBR or wishlist are in the minority... We know how's proper pleased :lol:

01.gif

Last night I read the first three of Robert E. Howard's Conan stories:  The Phoenix on the Sword, The Frost-Giant's Daughter and The God in the Bowl, plus the first draft of The Phoenix on the Sword, which was interesting, seeing how much it changed between then and the published version :smile:

I finished Summer by Edith Wharton this morning. I've updated my books read and purchased on my Reading Blog. I thought I was doing quite well with not purchasing any books, but it would appear that's not the case. :giggle2: How on earth can I convince myself that I haven't bought that many, and then end up having to add 6 or so books to my Purchased list. :giggle2:

Still wading through The World's Greatest Idea by John Farndon. It's a bit of a struggle at the moment, as some of the 'great ideas' are not what I had in mind. For example, the current 'great idea' I'm reading is 'Romance'. I was hoping for a book full of more technical and tangible inventions, rather than 'fluffy' concepts. It must just be me though because on Amazon it has mostly 4 and 5 star reviews. 

I have Summer on my kindle as well, mean to read it for the discussion. :)

Re the Farndon book.  I'm not familiar with it, but just because most of the reviews are favorable doesn't mean pins.  I bet a lot of readers that didn't like it, simply didn't review the book!

I went to the supermarket yesterday and got seduced by their two books for £7 deal  :blush2: (the devil now owns my soul :o  :D). Bought Where'd You Go Bernadette by Maria Semple for my niece and inexplicably .. because I know nothing about it and hadn't even thought of getting it (but have heard the buzz) .. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. I really ought not to be buying more books :blush2: 

Sat in the garden today and read Sacred Sierra : A Year on a Spanish Mountain by Jason Webster which Claire lent me. It's not often we get the sort of weather which can make you imagine life spent on a Spanish mountain but at the moment our weather is perfect for it :)

I went to the supermarket yesterday and got seduced by their two books for £7 deal  :blush2: (the devil now owns my soul :o  :D). Bought Where'd You Go Bernadette by Maria Semple for my niece and inexplicably .. because I know nothing about it and hadn't even thought of getting it (but have heard the buzz) .. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. I really ought not to be buying more books :blush2: 

Sat in the garden today and read Sacred Sierra : A Year on a Spanish Mountain by Jason Webster which Claire lent me. It's not often we get the sort of weather which can make you imagine life spent on a Spanish mountain but at the moment our weather is perfect for it :)

LOL  Gone Girl is one I bought today at the library sale.  full list on my blog book thread. :D

I'm reading Plague by Lisa C Hinsley. The story is interesting enough but the characters are very wooden and their dialogue is just implausible (or maybe that their dialogue is written with no emotion whatsoever, comes across as implausible).

Re the Farndon book.  I'm not familiar with it, but just because most of the reviews are favorable doesn't mean pins.  I bet a lot of readers that didn't like it, simply didn't review the book!

That is true - I hadn't thought of that! :smile:

I didn't get much reading done yesterday this heat is making me lazy all i want to do is loll around on the sofa. So i'm still at the start of Eye Of The Needle  Ken Follett but i did go down to the library & get out Shift  the second book in the Wool series by Hugh Howey.

I finished Goodbye to Berlin yesterday and a review can be found on my book log thread. I started 9-11 Was There An Alternative? by Noam Chomsky late last night. I've only read the first chapter but so far it's very good.

I went to the supermarket yesterday and got seduced by their two books for £7 deal  :blush2: (the devil now owns my soul :o  :D).

:o  For shame! :o :P  :giggle2:   :friends0:

I read another of Robert E. Howard's Conan stories (The Tower of the Elephant) and started Conn Iggulden's Emperor: The Gates of Rome :smile:

I really enjoyed The Sisters Brothers. :)  Different, but good.

I think I'm going to start Ratlines by Stuart Neville. 

Edited by pontalba