Your Book Activity - July 2013

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a third of the way through Hit Girls by Dreda Say Mitchell. I was intrigued by a gangster premise with females the main characters but it isn't really grabbing me yet.

After 11 days I finally finished The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber today!  :D

My lovely husband bought me a Nook (when they were on offer at £29.99) so that I can get ebooks from our library.  I'd never have coped with such a big book in paper form - far too thick to read comfortably!

I loved this book.. so touching! Did you like it, Poppyshake?

Yes Eleonora .. very much so .. I didn't want it to finish and was heartbroken to read the reasons why it's unfinished  :( At the end of the story there were notebook extracts from Irène (showing her intentions for the story) and letters from her and her husband to the publishers etc .. I could hardly believe that she had written what I'd just read (so clear and vibrant) when her mind must have been in absolute turmoil.

Edited by poppyshake

I'm reading George R. R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire 2: A Clash of Kings. It's pretty good so far! I look forward to see how the story will progress. After I've finished it, we can then watch the second season of Game of Thrones.

On Kindle I'm reading Tracy Packiam Alloway - Training Your Brain for Dummies which is allright so far.

Yes Eleonora .. very much so .. I didn't want it to finish and was heartbroken to read the reasons why it's unfinished  :( At the end of the story there were notebook extracts from Irène (showing her intentions for the story) and letters from her and her husband to the publishers etc .. I could hardly believe that she had written what I'd just read (so clear and vibrant) when her mind must have been in absolute turmoil.

How many lives interrupted by human crudelty. But the grace and beauty of what Irene Nemirowsky wrote has conquered the death.

Edited by Eleonora

Finished Diamonds Are Forever by Ian Fleming and I was a little disappointed, it was ok but not as good as the previous books. Not sure what to read next but I am leaning towards a Dean Karnazes book.

How many lives interrupted by human crudelty. But the grace and beauty of what Irene Nemirowsky wrote has conquered the death.

Yes and quite brilliant that her daughter managed to keep the manuscript safe .. not even knowing it was a manuscript .. but just knowing it was the last thing she saw her mother write. I'm so grateful that she did that.

It really was too hot to read today but I did manage a few pages of Moonlight in Odessa.

I just started to read Goodbye to Berlin by Christopher Isherwood. The edition I have has a fantastic cover.

The Vintage edition Brian? it's gorgeous isn't it? I have that copy too and read it not long ago .. I didn't like it all but the bits I enjoyed .. I really, really, enjoyed :)

After 11 days I finally finished The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber today!  :D

My lovely husband bought me a Nook (when they were on offer at £29.99) so that I can get ebooks from our library.  I'd never have coped with such a big book in paper form - far too thick to read comfortably!

What a sweetie your hubby is.  :cool:

Finished Diamonds Are Forever by Ian Fleming and I was a little disappointed, it was ok but not as good as the previous books. Not sure what to read next but I am leaning towards a Dean Karnazes book.

I read the Bond books when I was, oh, I guess in my late teens or early 20's, and enjoyed them.  However, I recently reread a few, and was underwhelmed.  That said, some are better than others.

I've started Summer by Edith Wharton and I'm pleasantly surprised. :smile:

I've downloaded it to my Kindle....will read it closer to August. :)

Whoops, meant to add, I'm reading World War Z......it is fabulous!  And, I might add, not a book I'd pick up ordinarily.  But.  :D  Husband bought it after we saw the film previews at the theatre.  /sigh/  I'm 38% in and...loving it.  It's as hubby said......it's like reading newspaper reports of the future.  War reports.  Fascinating.

Edited by pontalba

The Vintage edition Brian? it's gorgeous isn't it? I have that copy too and read it not long ago .. I didn't like it all but the bits I enjoyed .. I really, really, enjoyed :)

Yeah it is the Vintage edition, it really stands out amongst some of the duller book covers in my collection.

I read the Bond books when I was, oh, I guess in my late teens or early 20's, and enjoyed them.  However, I recently reread a few, and was underwhelmed.  That said, some are better than others.

Reading them at that age was probably the idea time to read them. I still found it entertaining but not as much as the ones earlier in the series.