Your Book Activity - July 2013

I'm now reading The Rise and Fall of the British Empire by Lawrence James and It's amazing book. I red previously The Singapore Story by Lee Kuan Yew.

Can you also recommend me some classics? I'm now on Sir Walter Scott's The Antiquary and really enjoy it. 

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm happy you did, it's an amazing book, one of my top 5 reads ever! :smile2: Too bad you're not getting into Les as easily, but I hope it'll soon get better for you :)

It is definitely one of my favorites! I foresee myself reading it again at some point. 

As far as Les goes, I'm about 65 pages in and hoping it gets better, which I think it will. It usually takes me the first 10% or so of the book to get interested. Then I can't stop!

Started The Daylight War by Peter V. Brett.

x

I hope you enjoy this one! I'm awaiting the paperback release.

Can you also recommend me some classics? I'm now on Sir Walter Scott's The Antiquary and really enjoy it.

x

I have a lot of classics, however most of them are on my TBR, so unfortunately I haven't read enough to recommend much (other than Dutch literature, but I don't think you know Dutch?). I loved Charlotte Brontë - Jane Eyre, I didn't like Truman Capote - Breakfast at Tiffany's (though I liked In Cold Blood) and should really read more classics. I also read some children's classics, but don't think that's what you're looking for. I have a lot of classics on my TBR though and I've heard good things about those. But I can't give you a more personal recommendation at this point in time.

Still moving along with Empires of The Sea (Roger Crowley), albeit slowly, but having read more than I thought. Turns out the last 25% of the book (from Kindle's book percentage) is bibliography and indexes so I'm about a third of the way through so far. Very enjoyable and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with Malta.

I've also just started the third in the Dexter series, Dexter in the Dark, I'm only about a fifth of the way in but I can already see why the reviews had this marked as one of the not so good Dexter books. I will persevere as I'd like to finish the full series for the TV series conclusion as well but I've already got the feeling that I might be quite disappointed with this one.

I'm about three quarters of the way into Fibber in the Heat and I'm loving it.  A mixture of travel, memoir and cricket - what more could you want! :D  Should hopefully finish tomorrow and be fresh and ready to start new books for the read-a-thon a the weekend.

Still reading Shift  Hugh Howey i'm nearing the halfway mark but finding it hard now to find time to fit in the reading with all the children at home for the holidays  :smile:

I only realised it myself today :D I'm now feeling quite awkward, having had this long relationship with a 'he' and not having even known about it... :D:rolleyes:

Must be a 'he' because it's awkward .. a 'she' would be much more accommodating. A 'she' would have gone to the shops and bought me cake to go with a cuppa and then gently nudged the book under my nose  :)

Have read a few more pages of The Knot .. hope to read a few more later.

Classics are massively varied in nature: the only thing they have in common are that they are books deemed, by general approbation, worthy of still being read and studied a hundred or more years after publication. It's thus hard to recommend classics without knowing a bit more about what you enjoy reading. However, if you are enjoying Walter Scott, with a reputation for being more than willing to use ten words where one might do, you should have little trouble in handling most. It's a very rich field. Edited by willoyd

I bought a bargain book haul from the book people so they are...

I bought the great loves collection which are

Bodily Secrets - William Trevor

Doomed Love - Virgil

The Woman Who Got Away - John Updike

First Love - Ivan Turgenev

Eros Unbound - Anais Non

The Virgin and the Gypsy - D H Laurence

Magnetism - F Scott Fitzgerald

The Kruetzer Sonata - Leo Tolstoy

The Seducers Diary - Siren Kierkegaard

Of Mistresses, Tigresses and other conquests - Giacomo

Cures for Love - Stendhal

Bonjour Tristesse - Francois Sagen

Forbidden Fruit - from the letters of Abelard and Heloise

The eaten Heart - unlikely tales of love - Giovanni Boccaccio

A Mere Interlude - Thomas Hardy

Giovanni's Room - James Baldwin

Mary - Nobokov

A Russian Affair - Checkov

Deviant Love - Freud

Something Childish but Very Natural - Katherine Mansfield

Then I ordered 8 for £10

Girl Reading

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand

Empress Orchid

Codex

Purveyer of Enchantment

The Restaurant of Love Regained

The Bed I Made

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society

Andi also got the White Queen Philippa Gregory set.

:)