Grüße aus Deutschland

Niamh

Since I created a account a couple of minutes ago, I guess introductions are in order. 

My real name is Jennifer, but since it (and every imaginable nick based on it) was already taken, I chose my middlename for this lovely forum.

I´m 32 years old, and I live in the western part of Germany. But since my father, and the rest of his bunch, are from Scotland, I´m pretty much grew up with the english language too.

My english may not be as good as my german, but so long as I don´t have to take a nuclear physics class, I guess it will suffice. :D

I buy more books, then I could possibly read, and I don´t feel the least bit ashamed about it. They just look to good on my shelfs, and I do everything to make them feel at home.

My favourite genres are urban-fantasy, historical + young adult fiction, romantasy and dramas. And I prefer series. I just love when a character developes over several books.

A few of my "I don´t care what it is about, I just have to buy it" authors are:

• Laurell K. Hamilton
  • Kelley Armstrong
  • Rebecca Gablé

Apart from reading, I love baking, listening to Death Metal + Progressive Rock and watching Doctor Who + Top Gear.

And since it started, I´m really hooked up on the french series "The Returned" on Channel 4.

That´s it for now, if you have questions just shoot. Meanwhile I´m going to make myself familiar with the different threads, and the forum in generell.

Niamh

Welcome here :)!

I also buy more than I can read, many of us here do so. So I think you'll fit right in!

Maybe this is a silly question, but what is 'romantasy'? Is it a fantasy book with romance elements? :blush: Sorry if it's obvious but I haven't heard of the term before.

Since you say your books look good on your shelves, does that mean you read mainly tree books? (not ebooks)

How many books do you have in total? Just curious :).

We have various threads you might like to read, if you have any questions feel free to ask. Do you read mainly books in German or in English? Not that it matters, the story remains the same.

I look forward to see more posts from you, ie. I love fantasy myself (never been quite sure what the 'urban' stands for to be honest, this post makes me sound really silly doesn't it :blush:) so I look forward to see what you'll read and what you think of it.

Top Gear is a great show imo, unfortunately our Dutch channel (I'm from the Netherlands) that normally shows them, it takes a while after they've been broadcast in the UK, before they show up here. Most Dutch people can receive the BBC but where I live I can't, so we have to do it with the later, shorter versions of the show on the Dutch channel (I'm really glad they do show them, though!). I love the show though, especially the challenges and fun segments between the presentors.

Thank you for the warm welcome.

@Athena:

Aye, romantasy stands for all those love/romance/fantasy/erotic novels. For example the books by Gena Showalter or Kresley Cole. And urban-fantasy means, (at least for me) that the whole, or a part, of the story takes place in the modern world. Or a world comparable to it. The books by Laurell K. Hamilton would be a good example. Or the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris.

But that´s just how I see it. When it comes to genres, everyone has a different answer.

And these are not silly questions. Well I hope they´re not, because I ask stuff like that all the time. :D

Right now I have about 1177 books, with another 13ish on their way.

If it´s a german author, I read in german. Other than that I read mainly in english. I don´t care much for translations, and it´s a lot cheaper, since in Germany we have a fixed book price law.

In Germany it´s the same with Top Gear. And when they´re finally broadcasting it, it´s with a horrible voiceover and you get only half of Jeremy´s comments.But I´m lucky though, because I receive british network telly. By the way, yesterday started the 20th series.

I hope to be a little more active in the next couple of days, when I´m not so busy anymore.

Thank you for the warm welcome.

@Athena:

Aye, romantasy stands for all those love/romance/fantasy/erotic novels. For example the books by Gena Showalter or Kresley Cole. And urban-fantasy means, (at least for me) that the whole, or a part, of the story takes place in the modern world. Or a world comparable to it. The books by Laurell K. Hamilton would be a good example. Or the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris.

But that´s just how I see it. When it comes to genres, everyone has a different answer.

x

Thanks for your answers! That clears some things up :). I have some of the Sookie Stackhouse books but I haven't read them yet, they're still in plastic XD. I've named that genre (modern world but has vampires, werewolves or other such creatures) 'paranormal', I guess it really depends on the person.