"Gude" from Hesse

Tobi

Hi everyone,

My name is Tobi, I´m from Frankfurt, Germany, 20 years old and I love to read books (like everyone else here) and that´s the reason for me joining this forum. Don´t need any more reasons, do I? ;)

I´m reading books since … I really don´t know … I think I was 8 or 9. It all started with those cool little comics about Tim & Struppi, Spirou & Fantasio (still a great read) and of course Disney comics, mainly “Lustiges Taschenbuch” (English: “funny paperback”), a comic series, which you can buy nearly everywhere in Germany. Not long after that I got my hands on a copy of the first Harry Potter and since then I am a little bit addicted to reading.

A long time I only read Fantasy books, but roughly 3 years ago my attitude towards the other genres changed and now I´m reading almost everything. Additionally at that time I got the idea of “collecting” and  buying books to hoard them at my bookcase, before that I got them from my local library (run by THE best librarian in the world). About a year later I started reading my books in English, first to improve my  English skills and now because the original versions are mostly simply better than the translated German versions.

Some of my favorite books are “Fight Club” by Chuck Palahniuk, “1984” by George Orwell, “The Name of the Wind” and “The Wise Man's Fear” by Patrick Rothfuss, “Shogun” by James Clavell and the “Tales of the Ketty Jay” Series by Chris Wooding.

Currently I´m reading “A Journey to the Center of the Earth” by Jules Verne and “Capitalism and Freedom” by Milton Friedman (mainly for my studies).

You can find further information on what I´m currently reading and my a collection of books owned by me on my goodreads profile:

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/16407422-tobi

Apart from reading I love to take a walk with my dog, play basketball, watch football (Eintracht Frankfurt & Liverpool FC are my favorite football clubs), play video games and of course to hang out with friends. Furthermore I´m a student of Economics / Business Administration (with a planned specialization in Finance) at the University of Frankfurt.

To everyone who wonders what strange expression I wrote in the title of this topic:

“Gude” is a common Hessian greeting and since we Germans are not allowed to be “proud Germans”, I'm a proud Hessian ;)

(Hesse is the state of Germany, which Frankfurt (am Main) is located in)

For a start that's everything you need to know about me and I hope for some good and entertaining conversations :)

PS.: Spotted any (grammar, spelling, wrong / strange expression) mistakes / errors in this or any further posts from me? Just let me know, I´m always trying to improve my written English.

Welcome here :)! I'm Athena and I live in the Netherlands. So we're kind of next-door neighbours I suppose! I also read mainly English even though I'm Dutch. Nice to meet you!

Feel free to create a reading blog thread in the reading lists / blogs subforum or maybe post a photo of your dog in the Pets thread in General Chat (I always love to see other people's dogs). Anyway, I hope you have fun here!

Hello Tobi and welcome! :smile:  I really like Fight Club too (the movie, as well as the book), but it's the only one of Palahniuk's that I have really enjoyed.

What sort of dog do you have? I have a labrador named Reuben; I love taking him out for walks too.

Thanks for the nice welcome.

My Dog´s name is Lucy, she is 8 years old and a Cairn Terrier (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairn_Terrier).

The problem is, she just got a cruciate ligament tear ("Kreuzbandriss" in German, I had to put it in google translate, I hope it´s the right translation) and therefore I cant take her for a walk at the moment. ;(

Here´s a first picture of her taken somewhat around christmas time :)

IMG_0380.jpg