Help for English Literature A2 - need inspiration/recommendations?

Hello, I'm brand new on here and seeking some help from any fellow bookworms/avid readers!  :readingtwo:

I'm currently beginning my second year of English Literature A2.

As part of our coursework module we have to produce 2500-3000 words in either analytical essay form or creative writing form (eg writing in the style of the books you have read) and this is on a central theme, and then 3 books/poems that relate to that theme.

I have a few ideas of what theme and books I would like but what I'm looking for is some help or elaboration of book ideas for the themes I do have?

My teacher said one has to be 'literary' or more of a classic, then the other 2 can be more modern in order to compare. 

My ideas:

Racism/prejudice - The Help

Dystopian novels/alternate reality - The Handmaid's Tale, and then something a hell of a lot more modern like one of the new young adult dystopia books e.g Matched, The Hunger Games etc

History - I'm very naive on this subject but I love Philippa Gregory and have an avid interest in historical fiction

And of course any themes or books you wonderful people suggest! I am so grateful to anyone who takes the time to help out a newbie on here!  :D

The only historical ones I can think of at the moment which are quite recent are by Hilary Mantel, Wolf Hall and Bring Up The Bodies.   Both got excellent reviews, with Bring Up The Bodies winning the Man Booker Prize in 2012.  I'm not much of a fan of historical books and should have read Wolf Hall before the other book, but you might find them both of interest.

The only historical ones I can think of at the moment which are quite recent are by Hilary Mantel, Wolf Hall and Bring Up The Bodies.   Both got excellent reviews, with Bring Up The Bodies winning the Man Booker Prize in 2012.  I'm not much of a fan of historical books and should have read Wolf Hall before the other book, but you might find them both of interest.

I will have to look into those, thank you very much!  :smile:

Dystopian: We from Yevgeny Zamyatin. Russian, 1921 (bit older than you want?)

This alternate reality thing you should look into the novels classified under the "steampunk" genre

Theme: Alcohol, drugs use/misuse.

- Junky from beat generation auther William S burroughs, poet in this genre Allen Ginsberg

- Different genre writer Phillip K Dick: A scanner darkly 

Dystopian: We from Yevgeny Zamyatin. Russian, 1921 (bit older than you want?)

This alternate reality thing you should look into the novels classified under the "steampunk" genre

Theme: Alcohol, drugs use/misuse.

- Junky from beat generation auther William S burroughs, poet in this genre Allen Ginsberg

- Different genre writer Phillip K Dick: A scanner darkly 

Ah that's interesting, I will have to use that genre when searching now!

That's a really good theme actually and one I hadn't thought of. Thanks!