Online Study & Learning

Brian.

I've been looking at way to give my mind a bit of a kick start again and so I have been looking at online courses. I have studied a few short courses with the Open University in the past and although I found them enjoyable, they are pretty expensive. Recognised qualification isn't a huge priority for me at the moment so I have been browsing the Coursera website, has anyone used them before and how did you find it?

Does anyone have any other similar distance learning websites they could recommend?

I'm using Coursera. It's free and easy to use. You need to be registered on the site and you log in when the course starts; courses last 3 or 4 weeks, it depends on the subject. I love it becaue it fills the gaps I feel in my education: I couldn't afford to go to Uni and it's something I really miss. Coursera gives me the chance to learn for free. I think you should try it, Brian. There are a lot af courses on different topics and you can choose whatever you want.

Edited by Eleonora

I've used Coursera before too - was great. I also hear that the Open Yale Courses are quite good (depending on what you're interested in studying). I haven't checked them out yet but intend to look at the English ones, although there seems to be a nice range of subjects.

Forgot about Open Culture too, there's some good stuff on there..

Edited by Ben

• 4 years later...

FutureLearn (owned by The Open University) are starting a free course which looks interesting on Monday 24th July.  It is with The University of Edinburgh, some details below:

How to Read A Novel

We will be looking at four of the main building blocks in fiction: plot, characterisation, dialogue, and setting. We’ll show you how each of these elements work, exploring different examples from modern and classic texts, and showing you what to look out for when reading novels for yourself.

This course will teach you how to be a more incisive reader, giving you skills to apply in all your future reading.

We’ll also be looking at examples from some of the very best in contemporary fiction, exploring what makes them work so successfully, and what effect they have on us, the reader.

We look forward to you joining us in July on this fascinating journey into the world of fiction.

I do love my reading, but don't usually spend much time analysing the books I read, so hope it might give me a deeper understanding and add to my enjoyment in that way!