Virginia Andrews Books

Can I draw your attention to the following from our guidelines..

When starting a new thread for a specific book, series, or even author, it's helpful if you can provide more information, as well as your own thoughts or review. Considering the amount of books and authors out there, simply asking if anyone has read it/them probably won't get much response.

It's also helpful if we know a little more about why you're asking - have you read them, and would like to discuss them, or are you looking to find out if they're any good because you're considering them.

Also, I'm going to move this to a different section, as I wouldn't class her as Children's / YA.

I read these books when I was about 13 or 14 and I am now 35.

I read Flowers in the Attic Series, Heaven Series and stand alone novel My Sweet Audrina.

I recently picked up a series called Rain (4 books to that I think) but did not enjoy this story as much.

Edited by Nicola Booth

Oh well i was asking because i've read some of her stuff and i wanted to know other peoples opinions. 

Also i put it under young adult fiction because she was under the YA authors on wikipedia. 

but i guess you cant really trust wikipedia. 

With that much sex, rape and incest in her books, I'd shy away from letting my kids read them till they were all grown up, that's for sure!

I read a bunch of them in my late teens (I picked up one from the library to read and my family then decided to get me loads of others as gifts for a long tie afterwards) but I soon got sot of them because they were all pretty much the same - young girl raised by family not her own (although she doesn't know this at the time and is confused as to why she gets treated differently), meets up with her real family and goes to live with them, taking her from poor to rich overnight; she struggles to fit in and discovers that the boy she's fancied for ages/has been making advances on her is actually related to her (this doesn't put him off); he then forces himself on her and she ends up pregnant; her new family are horrified but blame HER rather than him (the rape is never reported to the police either!) and not only is she expected to live with the consequences, she is forced to put up with the disdain of her family.

I found variations on this storyline in pretty much every series written by the woman (and by her ghost writer after her death) so I got pretty bored pretty fast. :(

Flowers In The Attic was doing the rounds when I was in high school. I remember discussing it with friends, all the incest, etc. Re-reading it as an adult (which I did a couple of years ago), I find it creepy and disturbing. I read a few others and I think she had some issues that needed sorting out. Like Kell says, they are all essentially the same plot, over and over again. I reckon she had issues!!

I read the three Flowers in the Attic books when I was a teenager, and remember loving them at the time. :) 

I think I might also have tried the one Nicola mentioned above - My Sweet Audrina - as the title rings a bell.  I haven't read any others though and I don't think they'd be 'my thing' any more. 

I have Virginia Andrews classed as YA because it seems to be written for that age as well as have characters of that age.

I mainly read these books when I was a teenager, and all were read in Dutch. Recently I bought some Virgina Andrews books in English, I look forward to see how that goes.

Anyway.. here are the ones I've read (most of these I own though not all):

Dollanganger series

Cutler series

Casteel series

Logan series

Orphans series

Wildflowers series

Shooting Stars

Here are parts of series I've read:

De Beers (first three books)

Hudson (book four)

Landry (first two books)

I quite liked her books when I read them as a teenager though I found after a while that a lot of the books had similar plots and similar plot twists. Sometimes I could predict what would happen.

I read the three Flowers in the Attic books when I was a teenager, and remember loving them at the time. :)

I think I might also have tried the one Nicola mentioned above - My Sweet Audrina - as the title rings a bell.  I haven't read any others though and I don't think they'd be 'my thing' any more. 

I think i was in my late teens as well when i read them - absolutely loved them then - probably wouldn't be my cup of tea now that i'm older but at the time i thought they were cracking reads  :smile: