Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Re-releases

Michelle

As someone who loves books, loves modern Doctor Who, and developing a love of the classic series too, these are very hard to resist!

dw50.jpg

• Ten Little Aliens – Stephen Cole
  • Dreams of Empire – Justin Richards
  • Last of the Gadarene – Mark Gatiss
  • Festival of Death – Jonathan Morris
  • Fear of the Dark – Trevor Baxendale
  • Players – Terrance Dicks
  • Remembrance of the Daleks – Ben Aaronovitch
  • Earthworld – Jacqueline Rayner
  • Only Human – Gareth Roberts
  • Beautiful Chaos – Gary Russell
  • The Silent Stars Go By – Dan Abnett

I originally bought the 9th, 10th and 11th, and have recently added 3rd, 5th and 8th. With only 5 more to go, I'm tempted to complete my collection. Has anyone read any of them, and what did you think?

So far, I've read Only Human, which was ok, but a little 'light' in places, and I've just finished Fear of the Dark, which I really enjoyed.. it would be a good story even if it wasn't about the Doctor. 

I say it's the only one I've read so far, but I read Remembrance of the Daleks years ago (it is a reissue of the old target novelisation of the TV story).  I'd recommend watching it first, because the books adds a lot of detail to the story that is told on screen.

I may very well end up buying the lot (I'm hoping The Book People will do a deal on the set at some point), but in the mean time I'm very tempted to get The Last of the Gadarene.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just downloaded Something Borrowed which is part of the 50th Anniversary issues (although not one of the re-releases mentioned above) and is a sixth Doctor story.  It's less than 50 pages, but it's written by Richelle Mead, one of my favourite YA and urban fantasy authors, so I just couldn't resist!  I'll let you know how I get on with it later ...  :readingtwo:

While I've been looking up more about the 50th Anniversary issues, I've noticed that it seems to be lots of contemporary YA authors - Eoin Colfer (1st Doctor), Michael Scott (2nd Doctor), Marcus Sedgwick (3rd Doctor), Philip Reeve (4th Doctor) and Patrick Ness (5th Doctor) with one book being released every month, with the remaining authors being revealed closer to the release of each book.

ETA: I've just found a paperback edition with all these new short stories which will be released at the end of the year after all eleven stories have been released.

Edited by chesilbeach

Yes, one a month and they started in January. The paperback with all the stories collected into one edition will be released in November. They're only revealing the authors for each story in the first week or so of each month, then the story is released towards the end of the month.

• 5 months later...