iOS7

Palagrin

So - if you're in with the news, you can't have escaped Johnathan Ive's new redesign of iOS on Apple devices (actually, the news has just broken so you might have escaped it!)

Anyway, I thought some of you guys might want to discuss it. I've attached some images below.

ios7_2586289c.jpg

iso73_2586291c.jpg

ios74_2586293c.jpg

Personally, I really like everything he's done, apart from the homescreen, which I find a little childish and very, very colourful. (Too colourful? I'm not sure - but there are lots of bright, almost neon colours in it!)

What do you guys think?

EDIT: Oops, don't know why I posted it in this section! Mod, please move it where it needs to go!

Edited by Palagrin

I'll be more interested to see what they do with it under the shiny new veneer. I have been left feeling a bit disappointed by the last few iOS updates and each one seems to be further dumbed down. One thing I have read about this update which is a wise move is that it will run on older devices and not just the current models. If I could choose 1 feature that they should include it would be the ability to update/sync podcasts on the fly instead of having to search out new episodes manually. iRadio sounds interesting especially if it follows the same line of operation as spotify does.

At first glance, I'm not keen on the flatness, I quite like my notepad app to look a little like a notepad etc. I agree about the colours - if it's going to go simple and flat, then mute the colours as well. I was considering an iphone when I upgrade in Oct, but now I'm not so sure.

I do really like this however it does remind me a little of the Galaxy but that might just be me. I would like to have a little play on one before I'd have one incase i hate it in practice. This is also making me hold out a bit of hope for the next iPhone to be totally different to the others as that is what is stopping me upgrade to the 5 from the 4, the fact that there is hardly any difference in them.

There are big enough differences between iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 for me to want to upgrade. A good camera is quite important, as is storage. iPhone 5 is a million times better than iPhone 4 in both regards. I never get decent pictures with my iPhone 4. 

I have next to no opinions of iOS7 so far. I have to try it out before I make a judgement. I do however remember that I loved iOS6 when that came, so I hope 7 will be even better. 

Anyone think Apple will release an iPhone 5S before 6? 

• 3 months later...

I've performed the update on our iPads and on the kids phones but am reluctant to do so on mine as I'm not keen on the new pale screen.. I normally wait a while after the updates come out anyway to see what the teething problems might be.

Traditionally there's always been a dark "skin" - I'm not sure if that's available with this release but it might be worth checking your settings.

I upgraded last night. Since then I have had problems with notifications in lock mode. Email (gmail) don't show at all and text messages sometimes show and sometimes don't. I've checked all the settings and restarted etc. Looking online this seems to be a bug some experience.

This is the first time I have been annoyed I did an apple upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...

Updated to iOS7 a week before ditching iPhone for Samsung Galaxy. Just to see what the fuss was about. Many improvements, though Safari is now way too white! All in all, didn't care for iOS7 enough, so I opt to say farewell to Apple.

My phone is affected by by an ios7 bug which can't be fixed quickly enough as far as I'm concerned. iMessages won't send so I have to send messages as standard texts. Apparently Apple are aware of the problem and will release a fix soon and I hope they hurry up with it.

Yep myself and my daughter have the same problem Brian, very frustrating! Luckily we have unlimited texts but very unfair on those who don't.

I have unlimited texts as well but fortunately most of the people I text on a regular basis use WhatsApp so I've started to use that again as the character limit on texts can be a pain in the backside.

There is a fix for it which I carried out and now it works fine for me. The only annoying thing is that you have to re-enter any wifi passwords as it clears them.

Go into Settings > Messages > turn off iMessage

Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings

Your phone will reboot, this may take a few minutes.

Finally, go into Settings > Messages > turn on iMessage

This should fix the issue, like I said, it's worked for me.

Surely if it goes over the word limit it just splits the text into several components? If you have unlimited texts that shouldn't be a problem.

It doesn't auto split for some reason, it then sends as an MMS by default and I get charged for them. It's not an issue now anyway, I've fixed it.