Which Author?

Hi Everyone,

I've been crazy busy with my new venture so haven't been able to post for a couple of weeks but here I am again.

I've been reading The Hobbit for the thousandth time since my love for the novel was reignited by the recent movie and I've always been enthralled by how beautifully decriptive Tolkein is.  I often wish I could have that very gift, the ability to see beyond the surface and then describe it so perfectly your reader sees exactly what you do with no need for pictures.

Which Author would you want to be?  Is there a transcript/quote you have never forgotton?  Do you wish you could express yourself to a loved one or even an enemy using the pen of Shakespeare, Tolkein or one of the Bronte sisters?

I would agree with Tolkien. I've read The Hobbit and LOTR many times and I get something new from them each time because there is such depth to the writing. It actually anoys me that having read so much, why doesn't it translate to when I write? Admittedly, it difficult to be descriptive and lyrical when you're writing an e-mail to your boss, which is the vast majority of my writing, but you know what I mean!

I think I'd include Stephen KIng in this. It's easy to denigrate him as "just a horror writer", but he manages to paint a picture in your head with his words. Plus I've always found that when I try to tell someone the plot to an SK story, it comes out sounding ridiculous, even to me. But, on the page, as he writes it - completely believable

I agree Ian, it is such a shame when writers are dismissed as "just a horror writer" or for penning a chick lit novel. Any piece of writing descriptive enough to grip the reader and leave them with such fantastic imagery should be celebrated. I have such respect for all writers with a talent I'd give my right arm to posess.

I also spend the majority of my day emailing and have composed many a creative email to my boss but creativity in telling the man who pays my salary where to go means they are never sent!

Well, as I don't want to be a man, I will choose a female writer. Agatha Christie comes to mind. 

But I'd be the most proud if Shakespeare's texts were mine, followed by Oscar Wilde and Franz Kafka.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I don't want to be a guy, but I have to say I would love to be able to write like the late Robert Jordan.  At least for his Eye of the World series.  I understand he had a couple of pseudonyms and wrote in a few genres, but that's actually the only series of his that I've read.  That I'm aware of, that is.

Wordsgood

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...