If I liked this..what would you suggest?

6 hours ago, poppy said:

but humorous and satirical books I've also enjoyed are Three Men In a Boat by Jerome K Jerome; Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons; and  EF Benson's Mapp and Lucia books.

😊

All regular comfort reads for me!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/23/2024 at 8:02 AM, poppy said:

Another huge fan of Wodehouse. Haven't read anything by Denis Mackail (will take a look) but humorous and satirical books I've also enjoyed are Three Men In a Boat by Jerome K Jerome; Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons; and  EF Benson's Mapp and Lucia books.

ps. Thought I recognised your name from way back and saw you last posted in 2009, so a very big welcome back! 😊

If you enjoyed Three Men In a Boat you'll probably like Denis Mackail. I've read Greenery Street which is a gentle melodrama of early middle class married life as it was a hundred years ago. And I'm reading The Flower Show by him now, which is great. It's a humorous look at a typical village event, again about a hundred years ago, with many larger than life characters and wonderfully described scenes. A bit like a cross between Dickens and Wodehouse. But whereas Wodehouse would avoid certain more serious topics in favour of a perpetually lighter sunnier style, Mackail will broach more serious subjects with an insight that hints at a real understanding of people's emotions and life situation. I've read another one by him which I can't remember to the title of, but I think The Flower Show is the best so far.

• Like 1