What's up in June?

chesilbeach

We had a rather wonderful few days away last week. We headed north to Yorkshire on Thursday, visited the RSPB cliff top site at Bempton where we saw lots of nesting Gannets, Guillemots, Razorbills and ......PUFFINS! Neither hubby nor I have ever seen them in real life and it was wonderful.

On Friday we had a wonderful trip on a diesel then a steam train on the North Yorkshire Moor Railway, travelling to Whitby (of Dracula fame). We had a wonderful lunch overlooking the harbour, then took a steam train ride back again.

On Saturday we sailed (or chugged) from Bridlington Harbour with about 140 others to see the nesting cliffs from the sea. 3 hours and 20 minutes later we returned having had a fabulous trip, seeing all these wonderful birds up close, and even catching a glimpse of a seal! Wonderful, magical trip. :D  

Sounds absolutely wonderful Chrissy! So happy you had such a lovely time and got to see all the birds (especially the puffins :))

One time on a trip down the East Coast of the South Is, we stopped to have a picnic by the sea. It wasn't until we were well into our coffee and munchies that we realized there were several seals asleep and sunning themselves on the (very) nearby rocks. The bull seals can be quite dangerous but these ones couldn't be bothered moving :D

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had another scan yesterday afternoon, but the sonographer was brutal and I still feel sore today. I think she's actually the same one that was so rough with me when I was carrying Xan too! Still, it was lovely "visiting" Button again. We got a lovely straight-on view of Button's face and s/he really is the double of Xander - super cute! I thought I caught a glimpse of "boy bits" but then the image changed and it looked briefly like "girl bits" instead, so I'm still not sure which gender we're having - Button is very secretive - LOL!

Yesterday morning when I got to work, my boss came and spoke to me about the fact that, according to an anonymous source, I had been seen committing the heinous crime of entering the staff room to get changed at 3.29pm instead of my finish time of 3.30pm. It was the second time that this has been mentioned, and both times I denied the charge strenuously, more so this time because of the way in which it was handled.

What they said was basically that because we do not finish work until 3.30 we should not leave our units (the home where I work is split into several self contained units, all within the same building) until that time. That is the time when we should also hand in our keys, which have to be signed in and out. So what they are saying is that I cannot go the staff room before 3.30 but I can be expected to hand in my keys at this time, even though this is part of my work, and I finish work at that time. I personally feel that we should do all this before 3.30 so that we can go to the staff room at that time and get out on time, as otherwise we are effectively doing overtime.

Anyway, I was not happy with this accusation and so went and spoke to the Home Manager, which resulted in a lengthy 20 minute discussion. The problem is that all the clocks in the house say different things. I know that the one in reception is wrong for a start, as it is different from the BBC News in my car radio, and the BBC aren't wrong ! But I have though been told that this is the clock I have to go by. Because I work upstairs, and the clocks there are different to the one in reception, I would effectively have to go downstairs to check the time before going back upstairs to get my keys, and then go back upstairs again to get changed. Quite apart from the absurdity of this situation, by the time I have done all of this, they would be owing me overtime !  

Anyway, after 20 minutes of going backwards and forwards, illustrating all the time just how stupid they were being over less than one lousy minute that didn't exist anyway, the Manager passed the buck back on to us housekeepers (basically because she couldn't be bothered to do her own job by dealing with it) and told us that we had to all four of us get together and agree our own procedures for leaving the building. I have never heard such a load of tosh in my life ! 

As if that wasn't bad enough, they also had a go at me for not wearing a bra on Wednesday, when the temperature in the home reached almost 90 degrees. Don't ask me how they knew, as I am not well endowed (34B, so smaller than average), and my uniform which is a size too big, resembles a tent more than a Madonna style bodice ! My response was to ask when they were going to start checking the colour of our knickers ! I am not sure what they thought of that one, although it did amuse me to see everything being written down ... Personally as long as you can't see anything (which you can't), I don't see that what I wear (or not) under my uniform is any of their business. They presented me with a copy of the dress code which only mentions mini skirts and strappy tops, but also says that your underwear should not be visible. But if they can't see it, then how do they know if you are wearing any ? It's another circular argument. I reluctantly though went and put one on.

They seem though to be introducing so many new and petty rules that I wonder whether I really want to work here. I have suggested that the clocks be set by Tim the speaking clock, but they have refused to do that, stating that I am the one with the problem, but they don't seem to realise is that they created the problem in the first place by telling me off something that I didn't even do !

Edited by Talisman

Today is Midsummer's Eve celebrations in Sweden. The longest brightest day of the year. This day is more important to Swedes than our national day. Just as important as Christmas and New Years.

Midsummer poles are raised all over the country, kids collect 7 kinds of flowers to put under their pillows to dream about who they will marry one day, we dance around the pole and sing midsummer songs ("little frogs" with its dance is a must for the kids). We eat summer-ish food, like herring and newly fresh picked potatoes. Strawberries for dessert. And the little snaps shots for the adults of course. Some just take any opportunity to drink...

Usually what happens is that people get drunk and parties outside. Preferably away from home as so many travel the day before Midsummer's Eve to other locations. The archipelagos are most popular. Gather with family and/or friends.

This year will be my 1st Midsummer I celebrate alone at home. Never been a huge party-fan... But I will eat new potatoes with pickled herring and dip them in melted butter with onion in. Called "dip in mug" as you pour the butter/onion in a mug and dip the potatoes and herring in it and eat. Love it! And I got some strawberries for dessert. So I will be eating the traditional stuff at least. :)

Two of my friends are traveling abroad next week. Both worked for me for many years before I retired. After retirement I eventually got bored and went back to work for another Company as a Consultant.Both friends were now working for this same Company and I worked "with" them for 5 years. Back to the point of the post :).

One friend will be in The Hague for a week long business meeting next week.

The other (and closer) friend will be in Japan touring the Fukushima Dai-ichi Nuclear Plant that had the big accident when the Tsunami hit Japan.

And here I sit, again bored with retirement. It indicates that no longer how old you are, that retirement is not important to everyone as enjoyment can also come from doing something that is interesting even though it is considered work by some. Hmm, I am "thinking". My doctor thinks that work is good for me and keeps my mind active which he thinks is important.

Edited by muggle not

Had a nice Midsummer's Eve yesterday. Quite, cozy. Today my family and dog came over for a few hours. And now I have a case of insomnia because it's warm inside. Open window and fan isn't helping all the way. It is just so much easier to fall asleep when it's cold and you have to have a warm cover on. That is one of the few things I love about winters. Cool nights.

@ talismann

Wow, that all sounds pretty bad!

@ emelee

I'm glad you had a nice celebration.

Here things are going well, my (short) presentation at university went relatively well. Now I have to work on the long presentation. I've been having fun with my boyfriend.

You haven't heard the half of it Athena. The day after all this happened, I spoke to the Regional Manager who agreed with what they said, and went on to say more or less that the company can dictate what underwear we wear. What she actually said was our underwear "must be appropriate". This though is where it gets really silly, as the dress code states that "underwear must not be visible". How then do they know you are wearing any if they can't see it ! I asked her the question as to whether they would ask a man with moobs (man boobs) to wear a bra, and she just laughed and said I was being stupid. But, the question is not as daft as it sounds, as I went on to explain. My partner you see is transgendered and currently going through the process of male to female. He then is growing breasts, which are if anything bigger than mine. Would they then ask him (bearing in mind that he is still legally a man) to wear one - the answer was "probably" yes.  

When I thought about this after the event, I think there is only one way that they could have known about this, bearing in mind that I have been doing this on hot days ever since I started with this company five months ago, and that no one has mentioned it up until this time. That particular day I had left a bin bag full of rubbish outside the staff room door, intending to take it out to the bins on my way out to the car. When I went into the staff room I changed into a sleeveless vest (my uniform is a very large - it's a size too big for me, polo shirt). I can only surmise that the 2 people who were chatting outside the staff room (both Managers themselves, one of whom I have seen breaking the dress code herself on several occasions) both when I went in and came out, must have seen down my cleavage when I bent over to pick up that bag. I hope they had a good look, as they were probably both jealous because mine are better than theirs !

I have to though draw a line under this, stupid and unpleasant as it has been, and move on, and it seems that I have to abide by their decision. But a large part of why this happened is because they did not make me aware of these rules (and many others - they have policies for everything) to begin with. All of these rules are on the company Intranet site. I have been asking for access to this since more or less the day I started, but it still has not been granted. It is though my Manager's duty to make sure that I know what these rules are, this is part of their duty of care. By not doing this, they then have failed in their duty of care.

Tomorrow morning then, the two Managers who spoke to me re this, will both receive a letter from myself detailing all of this and stating that unless access is granted by my finish time on Thursday (I have Fridays off), together with the opportunity to read, digest and print out copies of all of these rules, I will launch a grievance process against them. Furthermore, until these conditions are met, I do not consider myself to be subject to any rules of which I have not been made aware. That will put the wind up them ! After that, I intend to join the union ...

Edited by Talisman

Thanks Athena - although I was   :Tantrum:   to begin with, actually I now think it's quite funny - and so does everyone else, as it is getting round the home. It prompted an interesting discussion on what knickers everyone was wearing this afternoon. Knickers to them I say.  :giggle2:

Edited by Talisman

:giggle2:

I find I'm still tense and stressed, it makes sense though since there's the final presentation in a bit. It's hard to believe but in ~ two weeks it'll be over.. I'm worried though that I might still be a bit stressed afterwards, since sometimes it can take some time to de-stress. We call it 'after-stress' in Dutch (na-stress), does anyone know what I'm talking about?

After my presentation, I plan to at some time, look at things for a holiday (well, both of us will look). I had a brilliant time last year, though I don't know if I'll enjoy it just as much this time, I don't think that's possible maybe. But it'll be good if we just enjoy ourselves at least. It's a bit difficult because both of us get tired, from different things, so we have to take lots of things into account and can't do too much if either or both of us are feeling tired (in our own ways). Going on a holiday is difficult for me, since it's a different environment, sleeping area etc. than what I'm used to. So it's scary but I'm also excited for it. A while ago we were thinking of going on holidays in the UK, since that's somewhat familiar to me, there are things I may want to see (I like the UK) and they speak English there. But we'll have to see. At some point in my life there are also places further away I'd like to go to, but we'll have to see if it happens or not, eventually. I look forward to going to the UK anyway.

I know exactly what you mean Athena - I often experience the same thing, in fact I am probably experiencing it right now.  

Things for me have been a little better at work. Within 2 hours of me handing in that letter on Monday I was presented with a huge folder full of various policies and procedures for me to read. The boss kept coming upstairs trying to hassle me and make me get through them quickly, but I wasn't having it - I took my time. Although was some interesting stuff in there (including 20 pages of cleaning guidelines that even the Head Housekeeper didn't know about), most of it wasn't that relevant to me. I asked them to make me copies of the ones though that were relevant and then went and finished cleaning my unit. After lunch I then went and started the E-learning - including a welcome to the company module (I should have done this in the first week, not after 5 months). I also spent a bit of time looking at the other more relevant policies that were on there - the one on mobile phones, disciplinary procedures and so on. None of these were in the folder they had given me, but these are the ones that I really do need copies of.   

That same day our new uniforms arrived - none though for me - they had forgotten to ask for my measurements, or what items I wanted - typical ! Then when I finished for the day, I found the folder full of policies left by the visitors signing in book - with a copy of the complaint that I made and a list of all the stuff I had asked them to print. It had obviously then been ignored. I was not happy, as this was a clear breach of the data protection guidelines that I had just been reading about which state that sensitive  information (and a staff complaint is in my book sensitive) has to be locked away. As usual then, they are adhering to the rules only when it suits them ... :Tantrum:  

The receptionist had indicated earlier that she would be willing to print some stuff out for me if I gave her a list, so yesterday morning that's what I did - I am still waiting ... When it came to the e-learning in the afternoon, I had been on there for half an hour when they told me to log off, as they needed the room for a training course. I had spent the morning running round like a tit in a trance trying to get my work done, when I needn't have, had they informed me of this. :banghead:

Today there was still no copies, but I did manage 1 1/2 hours of learning. I was called downstairs for a meeting with my own Line Manager and the Home Manager at 3pm, no doubt about all of this stuff, but the HM was on the phone talking to someone higher up. By the time she finished it was my home time, so whatever they wanted to see me about will have to wait. At least I got paid for sitting on my bum for half an hour waiting for her - that doesn't happen very often.

I am though coming to the conclusion that all of this would make one hell of a good comedy sketch ... :D

Edited by Talisman

I'm sorry to hear about your car accident, Pontalba, but am glad you guys are okay!  Hopefully the person who rear-ended you had insurance?  I remember when a guy hit me once and I showed him the crack and paint on my back bumper that he caused, he told me that those marks were probably already there!  There's nothing you can do but laugh at some people :lol:

I've been super busy lately, and working a lot of overtime to save up for my major car repairs I hope to have in August.  Good news is that I only have 1 bill left to pay on my emergency surgery I had last April - yes!

We had very bad storms here in the midwest this past weekend and we are still under a flood warning.  Friday night was so scary because the wind got up to about 70 miles an hour and our neighboorhood lost so many trees :(  A beautiful flowering crab tree we had just snapped off at the base and we lost a good chunk of a weeping will behind the house.  I hate seeing those big trees go down!

@Talisman - A comedy sketch indeed.  Black comedy. :roll:  It would out do Fawlty Towers. sheesh!

@Peacefield - Yes, both cars that hit us had insurance.  I am only thankful that we were in a high riding Jeep.  Only the back bumper seems to be damaged.  And, one of the adjusters was actually surprised that it had torn a bit at all. 

A car collision place can tell if it was prior damage, so phooey on that guy, he didn't know what he was talking about.

It's hot, hot, hot!  oh, and humid. :roll:

Indeed pontalba - a very good and funny dark comedy.

Thankfully though it has now all been resolved and we have kissed and made up (hugged rather than kissed, but the main thing is that all is now ok). As it turns out, I was right all along, and there were a lot of things that I should have given when I started here five months ago - like details of the mobile phone policy for example, and the grievance procedure. I now have all of that. They said that I had a perfect right to send that letter and raise this as a concern, and actually they are glad that I did, for now they know what not to do when the next new starter comes along. All then is now well and I now have a three day weekend to look forward to.

It will be a busy one as tomorrow morning we have a meeting with my sisters new care team - they want us to consider re-starting contact with her. I am really keen on this idea, but we can at least meet and talk to them and see what they have to say. They have made it clear that no one is going to force us to do anything that we are not happy with. Then on Saturday I have an appointment in the outpatients clinic at the local hospital to have some tests done on my eye, which has been watering intermittently for about 6 months now. I can't say I am really looking forward to that, but it has to be done to make sure all is okay. On Sunday then I intend to have a long lie in and so as little as possible, except of course some :readingtwo: