Your Book Activity - June 2013

I'm working my way through King Suckerman, hard-boiled crime fiction set in 1970s DC, by George Pelecanos, who went on to become a scriptwriter on The Wire.

Ooh, interesting!  I love The Wire, so will be interested to know what his fiction is like :smile:

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh the blessings of a good book when you can't sleep. Spent most of last night reading And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie .. what a brilliant book :) I know The Murder of Roger Ackroyd is said to be her masterpiece but this was even better I thought. Actually I liked it all the more for there not being a Poirot or Miss Marple (or anyone) on the case. Delicious stuff. Am off on hols now and as usual can't decide what books to take. I do have some stuff on the Kindle (how weird that sounds .. I should be wearing a black armband all things considered :D) but am not sure whether I will look into them. Anyway, one of the books I'm considering is A Far Cry From Kensington by Muriel Spark .. it's small size fits the bill for one thing. I hope to buy books when I'm in Paris so I'd better not take too many.

I hope you enjoy it, Cookie.  :)  I read it a few years ago and really liked it.  I think there is a sequel to it (oddly enough, I'd forgotten about it - and Michelle's just started a thread about series books!) - I'd better Google it!

Do you know if it's a series or just the two? And does it have a proper ending?

I'm really enjoying the book so far but I haven't had a lot of time to read at the moment.

Ooh, interesting!  I love The Wire, so will be interested to know what his fiction is like :smile:

I actually read this when it first came out about 15 years ago.  My son bought it for himself a while ago, and I thought I'd re-visit it.  If you enjoyed The Wire, I'm sure you'll love King Suckerman.  Happy to pass it on when I've done, if you're interested.

Do you know if it's a series or just the two? And does it have a proper ending?

I'm really enjoying the book so far but I haven't had a lot of time to read at the moment.

The second book is called The Traitor's Wife in the UK and The Wolves of Andover in the US as far as I can work out. It appears to be a prequel rather than a sequel.  I'm afraid I don't know if there will be any more - or whether it has a proper ending.  :)

x

I just looked up the synopsis of this one, I look forward to hear what you think of it after you've read it.

It may be a while before I get to it, but it does seem like a really good book for 'book-people', doesn't it?

I finally finished The Summer Of The Barshinskeys  Diane Pearson yesterday, what a great read it was, i checked out her books on Amazon & they're all out of print now. I'm now reading The Last Runaway Tracey Chevalier i reserved it a few weeks ago from the library so i need to get a wriggle on if i'm going to finish it before it's due back.

It may be a while before I get to it, but it does seem like a really good book for 'book-people', doesn't it?

x

Yes! I've read one other book that was a bit like it, in the sense that it's about a person reading books, talking about their life and what influence the book had. The one I'm talking about is Nina Sankovitch - Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of Magical Reading, it's about a woman whose sister dies (I believe of cancer), her sister loved to read so she decides to read a lot of books for one year, to try and come to terms with her grief. I quite liked it (and put some more books on the wishlist XD). I do own a few more books about people who read books, but I haven't read those yet (they are on my soon-to-be-read pile atm).

I'm currently 665 pages into A Game of Thrones, progress isn't as fast as I'd like it to be, because I've been tired. Also, does anyone else ever have that with certain books (depending on their size) you start to read less as you get closer to the end and more in the middle, because of how easy or not easy it is to hold? Or is that just me :blush:?

I'm currently 665 pages into A Game of Thrones, progress isn't as fast as I'd like it to be, because I've been tired. Also, does anyone else ever have that with certain books (depending on their size) you start to read less as you get closer to the end and more in the middle, because of how easy or not easy it is to hold? Or is that just me :blush:?

It happens to me too, sometimes! And the last time was with A Game of Thrones too..

I finished Outlander, now I have to wait for the second book of the serie. In the meantime I'm finishing Norfolk's John Saturnall's Feast and an essay on the violence on women.. so schocking!!

Finished Pyhiesi yhteyteen by Jari Tervo and tried to start The Help by Kathryn Stockett on the train, but then this very talkative lady sat next to me and started talking to me about her physical ailments as if I was a friend and we'd been in the middle of something :D So I chatted with her for the 4 hours or so. Didn't manage more than three pages of the book!

x

Yes! I've read one other book that was a bit like it, in the sense that it's about a person reading books, talking about their life and what influence the book had. The one I'm talking about is Nina Sankovitch - Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of Magical Reading, it's about a woman whose sister dies (I believe of cancer), her sister loved to read so she decides to read a lot of books for one year, to try and come to terms with her grief. I quite liked it (and put some more books on the wishlist XD). I do own a few more books about people who read books, but I haven't read those yet (they are on my soon-to-be-read pile atm).

The thing I like about this book is that the mother and son seem to discuss very contemporary books like the Steig Larsson trilogy. As I mostly read reasonably recently published books I'm hoping that a lot of them will be books I have read or will want to read.

I've finally finished a book :) Finished The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber and have started Avery Nolan by Tony Faville.

I hope you enjoyed The Crimson Petal and the White. It's a long read, but well worth the effort. :smile:

Finished Pyhiesi yhteyteen by Jari Tervo and tried to start The Help by Kathryn Stockett on the train, but then this very talkative lady sat next to me and started talking to me about her physical ailments as if I was a friend and we'd been in the middle of something :D So I chatted with her for the 4 hours or so. Didn't manage more than three pages of the book!

Oh no, people like that make me nervous. I never know what to say to them. :giggle2:  You handled it better than I would have. :giggle2:

Edited by bobblybear

Last night I finished Speaking From the Bones last night, really, really enjoyed it.  Nice cliff hanger ending.  :D

Will write review tomorrow...too shaky still tonight.

I'm reading two books at the moment - both are series.  :readingtwo:

The first Game Of Thrones and the third book of the Everworld series.

The thing I like about this book is that the mother and son seem to discuss very contemporary books like the Steig Larsson trilogy. As I mostly read reasonably recently published books I'm hoping that a lot of them will be books I have read or will want to read.

x

Sounds good! :)

Oh no, people like that make me nervous. I never know what to say to them. :giggle2:  You handled it better than I would have. :giggle2:

I was at first quite surprised at how she just started talking when she could see I was holding my book but then I figured 'this one's a talker' and put my book aside and lent her my ears :D I could tell she's from Karelia because we Karelians are quite chatty and more likely to talk to strangers in buses and trains and stuff, and I did find out that she was from the town right next to my own hometown. No real surprise there :D She had a magazine from which she could see which TV shows were on and she pointed out all the shows she watches and talked about them. It was pretty funny that she would also point out some of the erotic latenight programs and giggle and say 'you must watch this!' :D

I didn't get to really start my book until I came home, but now I'm 118 pages into The Help and I'm really enjoying it :smile2:

I have both started AND finished a book in the past couple of days! My first since February. I cannot even begin to describe the sense of loss I have felt in these long months, nor the sense of quiet (and not so quiet) joy at getting my mojo back. :D

It was 'Shades Of Earth', the last book in the 'Across The Universe' trilogy by Beth Revis. A good and enjoyable read. So, I'm now off to choose my next book to read - you know, just like a normal person. ;)

I have both started AND finished a book in the past couple of days! My first since February. I cannot even begin to describe the sense of loss I have felt in these long months, nor the sense of quiet (and not so quiet) joy at getting my mojo back. :D

It was 'Shades Of Earth', the last book in the 'Across The Universe' trilogy by Beth Revis. A good and enjoyable read. So, I'm now off to choose my next book to read - you know, just like a normal person. ;)

I'm so happy for you, you must feel so elated! :friends3:  :D  Good luck with your next book!

I've started Maggie O'Farrell's The Hand That First Held Mine for my book group, although I'm not sure it's my sort of thing, but we'll see how it goes.

I hope it picks up for you; I read it when it was first released and really enjoyed it. I am a pretty big Maggie O'Farrell fan though. :smile:

She had a magazine from which she could see which TV shows were on and she pointed out all the shows she watches and talked about them. It was pretty funny that she would also point out some of the erotic latenight programs and giggle and say 'you must watch this!' :D

:giggle2:  Sounds like you had a fun conversation there, Frankie!

I didn't get to really start my book until I came home, but now I'm 118 pages into The Help and I'm really enjoying it :smile2:

I hope you enjoy it; I really liked it. Have you seen the movie?

I finished World War Z and I'm a bit relieved it's over. I'm now moving onto The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, which I'm hoping is a bit more lighter than what I've just finished.

:giggle2:  Sounds like you had a fun conversation there, Frankie!

It was fun in parts, but I found out pretty soon that the lady didn't really care for my opinions or anything, she just basically wanted to talk about everything herself, so it was a bit onesided. Apart from the naughty TV series she watched it wasn't much fun... But it passed the time :shrug:

I hope you enjoy it; I really liked it. Have you seen the movie?

I've now read half of the book and it's really really good! :) I haven't seen the movie, but I haven't had a chance to watch it, either (because I don't go to the movies and it hasn't been on telly yet). But anyways, I always wanted to read the book first. It's been pretty high on my *I really want to read this* mental pile because of all the talk of the book on here :)

I actually read this when it first came out about 15 years ago.  My son bought it for himself a while ago, and I thought I'd re-visit it.  If you enjoyed The Wire, I'm sure you'll love King Suckerman.  Happy to pass it on when I've done, if you're interested.

Oh, thanks, that's very kind, but I've got waaaay too much to read already.  I had a read up about him, though.  Sounds quite Ellroy-ish, which can only be a good thing  :smile:

Currently reading two books, which is doing its best to make my head explode (I usually only have one book on the go at any time  :lol: ).  I'm 300 pages into S. J. Parris's Prophecy (the second of her Elizabethan murder mysteries), and about 120 pages into The Lady in the Tower, Alison Weir's book about Anne Boleyn.  I did open Prophecy yesterday expecting to read about Anne Boleyn and got quite confused when the chapter heading said it was set in 1583 :doh:  :giggle2: