Your Book Activity - June 2013

A new book activity thread for a new month!

I started Miss Phryne Fisher Investigates by Kerry Greenwood last night, and I've done a bit of spreadsheet, database and wishlist updating this morning, now off to squeeze in an hour of reading this morning.

What are you all reading today?

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've put Diane Chamberlain's Brass Ring to one side for the moment and have picked up the next in the Inn Boonsboro trilogy by Nora Roberts that I got from the library..  I have so little time to read when Steve is home that I need something light that I can just read a few pages at a time..

I have ordered a couple of dog training books though in preparation for a possible new addition this year - 

How To Behave So Your Dog Behaves - Sophia Yin

For The Love Of A Dog: Understanding Emotion In You And Your Best Friend - Patricia McConnell

:smile:  :readingtwo:  :smile: 

Finished Pure by Julianna Baggott this morning. Pretty decent read, but occasionally my mind would wander.

I'm going to carry on with Worm by Mark Bowden as that's picking up. Then later today I'll probably start The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger. Then soon I need to plan out my next 10 or so books to read. :boogie:

I finished Miss Phryne Fisher Investigates yesterday, and read the first chapter of Can Anyone Hear Me? by Peter Baxter.

Haven't completed decided what I'll read next, but I'm thinking I might go with Moon Over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch.

I finished The Stranger House last night. It was a bit annoying getting into with the weird sentence structure but as the novel progressed I didn't notice anything wrong with his sentences, as much, as I was really getting into the novel. :)

I started reading Heart of Darkness today, and to be honest, I'm not that into it. It's hard to read and get into and I keep getting confused over what is going on. I'm perservering through though. It feels a bit easier come the 3rd chapter but I still don't think it will get higher than 3* on Goodreads.

Have finished Dead Ever After by Charlaine Harris the story was OK but it didn't end the way I wanted it to, so I'm very dissapointed. :(

The end wasn't surprising to me but yes, it was disappointing, I'm quite glad the series has come to an end now as I haven't enjoyed the last few.

The end wasn't surprising to me but yes, it was disappointing, I'm quite glad the series has come to an end now as I haven't enjoyed the last few.

Yep, I think for me my all time favourite was book four Dead to the World. The one with Eric. After that they started to go down hill for me.

Yep, I think for me my all time favourite was book four Dead to the World. The one with Eric. After that they started to go down hill for me.

Yes I'm not really sure why I bought them all now! I've actually taken them off my shelves with a view to passing them on..

Enjoying  'The Lollipop Shoes' and received in the post via RISI 'The Dovekeepers' by Alice Hoffman

Edited by Inver

I finished Heart of Darkness. I was so happy when it was over. Was alright towards the end but still hated reading it. I decided to download a free ebook called Promise. It's a YA novel. Felt I needed some light reading after that classic.

I've heard very mixed reviews on Heart of Darkness, with a lot of people really struggling with it.

I'm about a third through The Devil Wears Prada. I'm really enjoying it, far more than I thought I would.

I finished Moon Over Soho this morning - another fab book, and thoroughly enjoying this series. :smile2:

Started the second Phryne Fisher book, Flying Too High and I'm really enjoying these too!  Quirky crime, that's my cup of tea. :D

Also popped into the bookshop and bought myself a copy of Gemma Bovery by Posy Simmonds.  I liked Tamara Drewe very much, and was reminded to look up Posy Simmonds again after an article in the Guardian last week, so was delighted to find a copy of Gemma Bovery in amongst the graphic novel section which was full of mostly sci-fi books.

Edited by chesilbeach

I have swapped books abaout a bit lately and temporarily abandoned 'Jingo' by Terry Pratchett, then read 'The Phantom of the Opera' by Gaston Leroux, which I thought was very good. I did try and get back to reading 'Jingo', but have settled on 'Eat, Pray, Love' by Elizabeth Gilbert. I'm not a big fan of 'chick-lit', but I know a few people who have read this and enjoyed it.

This Promise book by Kristie Cook is really good. I'm like obsessed with it. It's one of those YA novels that really tugs at your heart strings (well, for me personally!), I'm a sucker for YA romance novels! :P

I have ordered a couple of dog training books though in preparation for a possible new addition this year - 

How To Behave So Your Dog Behaves - Sophia Yin

For The Love Of A Dog: Understanding Emotion In You And Your Best Friend - Patricia McConnell

:smile:  :readingtwo:  :smile:

You know, whenever I see you having acquired these kinds of 'self-help' books to doggy training, I always wonder why you would buy them because I think you're probably the best kind of doggy owner and trainer there is! :) But of course it's interesting to read these sorts of books. :yes:

Started the second Phryne Fisher book, Flying Too High and I'm really enjoying these too!  Quirky crime, that's my cup of tea. :D

I'm so happy you're enjoying the series! :smile2: And from what I can remember, I think there are at least.. 12-14 books to the series? So if the quality continues, you'll be having a long good time ahead :D

starting The Dinner by Herman Koch

I'm curious to know how you like this book, I've heard some mixed reviews :)

I've about 50 or so pages left of French Children Don't Throw Food. And I feel like I want to read more books about the French! I know which books I'd like to order, but I really shouldn't.......... :hide: