Your Book Activity - June 2013

I can't find most of the book you talk about.. I think the translation is a bit slow.

I went to the library this morning but still no shade of Dry. In the meantime I took John Saturnall's feast by Lawrence Norfolk, a book written by Carlos Salem (Matar y guardar la ropa.. something like Killing and look after the clothes) which is about a killer who has to "finish" his work on a naturist beach. The last one seems funny, but I read only 20 pages. I'll let you know.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't find most of the book you talk about.. I think the translation is a bit slow.

It's the same over here, half the time I don't know which books people are reading, but I google them and read members' reviews and become fascinated and then I just have to try and find the English copies :lol: And yet I wouldn't have it any other way! Members on Finnish forums read a lot of Finnish novels and for some reason they don't interest me as much.

I went to the library this morning but still no shade of Dry.

That is rotten luck! :motz:

It's the same over here, half the time I don't know which books people are reading, but I google them and read members' reviews and become fascinated and then I just have to try and find the English copies :lol: And yet I wouldn't have it any other way! Members on Finnish forums read a lot of Finnish novels and for some reason they don't interest me as much.

Just change Finnish into Italian and it's perfect for me too. 

I look for english version of the books too, but having no job the only thing I do is extending my wishlist on Amazon. 

Pulled The Rook by Daniel O'Malley for husband, and ended up starting it myself!  Love it.  Weird combination of spy, conspiracy at the highest levels, and supernatural thrown in. 

Husband just has to wait his turn!  /giggle/

You know, whenever I see you having acquired these kinds of 'self-help' books to doggy training, I always wonder why you would buy them because I think you're probably the best kind of doggy owner and trainer there is! :) But of course it's interesting to read these sorts of books. :yes:

Ah, thank you frankie but there is always so much more to learn and it's nearly 10 years since I had a pup and training methods move on at a fast pace. :)

I haven't had much time for reading at the moment as we have family visiting but i'm reading The Summer Of The Barshinskeys  Diane Pearson which is a fantastic read so far i'm sure i would have finished it already under normal circumstances. 

Other book activity - i'm going to my first book club meeting tonight - so excited  :exc:

I finished Purpose by Kristie Cook and now I really really really need to read the last two books! I would put this on par with Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instrument books with Clary and Jace. :P

Other book activity - i'm going to my first book club meeting tonight - so excited  :exc:

I have Book Club tonight!  :D

I hope you both had fun and interesting discussions at your book clubs last night. :smile2:

I've started The Third Day, The Frost by John Marsden, which is the third book in the Tomorrow series. I remember Kylie saying that this was originally planned as a trilogy, and she was interested to hear my thoughts on the conclusion, so I'm looking forward to finding out what happens! :D

I hope you all have/had fun on your book club meetings :).

I've started reading Nicholas Sparks - The Wedding, the sequel to the Notebook. I'm sort of in a book club on GoodReads that reads this book this month. I haven't read it before so thought it'd be a good time to give it a go. So far it's really good.

I'm also still reading A Game of Thrones and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome for Dummies.

Ah, thank you frankie but there is always so much more to learn and it's nearly 10 years since I had a pup and training methods move on at a fast pace. :)

Ah yes, I guess one needs a bit of reminding oneself about what it's like to train a puppy... And yes, there must be loads of new stuff to learn... But it's just that I think your doggy pack is great so you must've done very well in their training! :)

I accidentally left a wet facewipe next to my copy of Flowers For Algernon. Let's just say Algernon's face is definitely clean lol! And the pages are all warped :(

Ohhhh dear! :(  Poor Algernon, poor Noll :empathy:   (am I warped if I like warped pages :hide: )

I hope you had a lot of fun! :smile2: I haven't checked yet if you've updated the thread on the subject, I'll look around :)

I read Penelope by M. C. Beaton this morning for a nice easy summers day book, and I had a browse round a bookshop and came out with The Year of the Hare by Arto Paasilinna.

Wow! Did you know Paasilinna is a Finnish author? I think this is the first time I see anyone picking up a Finnish novel (excluding Sofi Oksanen's Purge), so this is very exciting for me :D Mind you, I've never read anything by him, but I've seen TV adaptations of a few of his books, and I have at least one of his books on my TBR. I hope you like his book! :)

I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do, Kidsmum!! Mine is tomorrow night and I can't wait.

You lucky you :D

I have Book Club tonight!  :D

And you, lucky you :D

I finished Frenchy book and tried starting The Lost Symbol but it didn't stick. I have no idea whether I should try it again or pick something else up. (It would be ideal if I managed to read TLS as I promised I'd take it with me to Helsinki this weekend and lend it to my friend: I'd rather I'd already read it so he could have it and just pass it on...)

Wow! Did you know Paasilinna is a Finnish author? I think this is the first time I see anyone picking up a Finnish novel (excluding Sofi Oksanen's Purge), so this is very exciting for me :D Mind you, I've never read anything by him, but I've seen TV adaptations of a few of his books, and I have at least one of his books on my TBR. I hope you like his book! :)

No, it was only when I got home and read the full details on the back page I realised he was Finnish.  I quite like reading the odd translated book though, so I'm looking forward to it.

I've bought a couple more books today, one is a beautiful nature book called Sea and Shore Cornwall: Common and Curious Findings by Lisa Woollett, and the other is High Tide by Hugh Hastings. 

No, it was only when I got home and read the full details on the back page I realised he was Finnish.  I quite like reading the odd translated book though, so I'm looking forward to it.

Well I'm looking forward to you reading it, too :D (And if you ever want to read a fabulous Finnish book, go for above mentioned Purge :cool: I know Talisman has read it and enjoyed it, and another member's read it, too, but I can't for the life of me remember who it was :blush:)

Ah yes, I guess one needs a bit of reminding oneself about what it's like to train a puppy... And yes, there must be loads of new stuff to learn... But it's just that I think your doggy pack is great so you must've done very well in their training! :)

x

I don't know about chaliepud, but I find some techniques work for one dog but not the other. I've tried raising Boris the same way I raised the other three, but it doesn't seem to have the same effect. Have fun with your new dog, chaliepud :)!

x

I don't know about chaliepud, but I find some techniques work for one dog but not the other. I've tried raising Boris the same way I raised the other three, but it doesn't seem to have the same effect. Have fun with your new dog, chaliepud :)!

Yes, that must be true. Dogs are individuals, of course. Some will respond better to teaching tricks with the aid of snacks, some will prefer to have a play with a ball when they've done well.

Oh boy. I think I really need to start reading some doggy training books if I ever want to have a dog! Yes sirree....

I finished reading C is for Corpse by Sue Grafton yesterday, and made a start on Kiss the Girls by James Patterson.

The Alphabet Murders series is good....but the Alex Cross series is a lot better. :)

I finished Moon Over Soho this morning - another fab book, and thoroughly enjoying this series. :smile2:

Started the second Phryne Fisher book, Flying Too High and I'm really enjoying these too!  Quirky crime, that's my cup of tea. :D

Also popped into the bookshop and bought myself a copy of Gemma Bovary by Posy Simmonds.  I liked Tamara Drewe very much, and was reminded to look up Posy Simmonds again after an article in the Guardian last week, so was delighted to find a copy of Gemma Bovary in amongst the graphic novel section which was full of mostly sci-fi books.

I downloaded the first Phryne Fisher book recently as I think it was a Kindle Daily Deal.  Looking forward to reading it as it sounds a good holiday read.

I'm a bit behind on my reading right now as I've just returned to civilisation after my daughter's wedding.  I finished the Invisible Bridge by Julie Orringer and have started on The Sins of the Father by Alan Massie.

Nearly finished with The Devil Wears Prada. I'm enjoying it but I've come to realise that it's pretty much 350 pages of the same scenario over and over.

I've had to give up on Worm. I found it too heavy on the technical side, and it just wan't holding my interest. I was hoping for something like The Cuckoo's Egg which was a bit more adventurous rather than techy.

My next non-fiction from my reading plan is Now Then Lads: Tales of A Country Bobby by Mike Pannett.

Once that's done, I shall plan my next 10 or so books. Might sound sad, but I'm quite looking forward to choosing the next lot to read. :readingtwo:

Once that's done, I shall plan my next 10 or so books. Might sound sad, but I'm quite looking forward to choosing the next lot to read. :readingtwo:

x

That's not sad at all! I think a lot of us find that a lot of fun.

I finished "Twisted perfection", and I started "A lake of dreams" by kim Edwards, yesterday. It seems really interesting, for now, but I've read only 40 pages. 

"Twisted Perfection" is very nice, and I'll wait the sequel :D

I downloaded the first Phryne Fisher book recently as I think it was a Kindle Daily Deal.  Looking forward to reading it as it sounds a good holiday read.

I'm a bit behind on my reading right now as I've just returned to civilisation after my daughter's wedding.  I finished the Invisible Bridge by Julie Orringer and have started on The Sins of the Father by Alan Massie.

I hope you enjoy the Phryne Fisher book, Sue. As the series goes on, there's a nice set of characters who crop up in each story, as well as the new characters for each of her various investigations. I like them a lot, and they do make good holiday type reads for me. :D

I've only read on Alan Massie books, it was one of his Roman books - Augustus I think, but it was over 20 years ago now, and all I can remember is that I had to read it with the dictionary by my side to look up some of the words I didn't know!

In my bookish activity today, I've finished The Third Day, The Frost by John Marsden (with a few tears escaping my eyes while I was sat in Starbucks at lunchtime reading it :roll:) and I'm not halfway through the third Phryne Fisher book, Murder on the Ballarat Train. I did visit a Waterstone's too, but came out empty handed.

Edited by chesilbeach

I finished The Rook by Daniel O'Malley.  I'm having trouble deciding between a 4/5 and 5/5. :) 

Will write a review, but highly recommend it to both spy story lovers, and fantasy lovers.  A nice blend of both.