Star Trek Novels

Raven

(Inspired by some posts in the Into Darkness thread).

I've read a small forest of these over the years beacuse I got into reading at the tender age of 16, waaaaaay back in the 80's, mainly through reading Star Trek novels.

I haven't read many in recent years, but the ones by Peter David stand out in my memory as being the best, mainly for their inclusion of humour which was largely playing against type for Trek novels at the time.

I'll have to go back and take a look at the books I've read, but have you read any Trek books and what did you think of them?  Does anyone have any recommendations?

I only own one, I saw it for cheap on a book fair. It's about the Mirror Universe, a collection of short stories. I haven't read it yet, but if I like it I hope to read more of them. I do like Star Trek.

I would also like to hear recommendations, it seems there are many Star Trek books and I don't really know much about them, would like to know more.

Oh, I just put up a link on the ST Darkness thread for one of the first ST books I bought...New Voyages. http://www.amazon.com/New-Voyages-Star-Trek/dp/0553246364/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1370030266&sr=1-1&keywords=star+trek+new+voyages

A great story for each main character.

I have over 200 of the pocket editions, bought over the years, back from easily 25-30 years ago.  There was a great ST section in the Book Rack...a used book store near my house then.  I'll try to pull my absolute favorites and list them here, later.

I remember how I started reading English, I got a book as a present "My Enemy, My Ally" a Star Trek book with a story I had not seen on tv or heard of before. My interest was so large that I started reading with a dictionary beside me. Did have some trouble with the made-up technical stuff but found that I did get a very good reading. And I did continue to read new books of Star Trek for a long time. And I still have got them all.

Reading that first book made me find out that many books and writers had not been translated yet in my first language, so my reading to this day constunes to be mostly in English. Albeit that my current interest in Scandinavian thrillers are more availabletranslated in my own language.

"My Enemy, My Ally" a Star Trek book with a story I had not seen on tv or heard of before

Ooh, I remember reading that one, it was very good.  Diane Duane wrote a couple that I really liked  :smile:

Peter David wrote quite a few as well, including this series...New Frontier.  I think this one is the first..... http://www.amazon.com/New-Frontier-Star-Trek/dp/0671019783/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1370441793&sr=1-7&keywords=Peter+David

The link I posted up thread is for Star Trek: New Voyages, not Darkness. :)  When I reread the post just now, I thought I might have worded it a bit confusingly. :)

Another great ST author is Dorothy Fontana, one of the original writers for ST. 

I've put this on my wishlist.... :)  http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Original-Paula-Block/dp/0810991721/ref=sr_1_68?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1370442241&sr=1-68&keywords=star+trek+novels