Baz Luhrman's Great Gatsby

Palagrin

I haven't read the book yet, but would like to see the film sometime (after I've read the book). However, I'm kind of the only person around here who'd be interested (I think), so I think I'll get it on Blu-ray rather than go to the cinema.

Read the book this Spring in prep for the film. 

I loved the film.  Over the top, wonderful.  Glitzy, gorgeous, evocative of the 1920's, for sure.

I thought DiCaprio and McGuire were perfect casting. 

poppy, I look forward to your comparison...I haven't seen the Redford/Farrow film.

I can totally see Farrow as Daisy...but, just shooting from the hip, Redford was simply too good looking and smooth for the role.  I know he was probably good, but for me DiCaprio has that "gangster edge", or rough edge that Redford lacked, at least when he was a young man. 

poppy, I look forward to your comparison...I haven't seen the Redford/Farrow film.

I can totally see Farrow as Daisy...but, just shooting from the hip, Redford was simply too good looking and smooth for the role.  I know he was probably good, but for me DiCaprio has that "gangster edge", or rough edge that Redford lacked, at least when he was a young man. 

I saw the original film before I read the book, so Redford for me has always been Gatsby. Redford is good-looking, but he has quite a pock-marked face so I've never thought of him as smooth. I think you would love the original Pont, as much as I expect to love the new movie.

Here's a couple of pictures as comparison ....

post-3715-0-44396900-1370074537_thumb.jpg

post-3715-0-91619800-1370074568_thumb.jpg

Wonderful pics poppy!!  Thanks for posting.

I think probably, it's more that Redford has a refined air about him.

DiCaprio has coarser look to him, like he could be a gangster....rougher.

I think that's more what I meant.  Although I do think Redford is far better looking. :)  Pock marks or not, frankly I hardly notice them.  In fact I like his looks now more than when he was young.  His face is more lived in now, has more character. 

I would def like to see Redford's version, and will. :D

Edited by pontalba

• 2 weeks later...

I finally saw the film last week.  I loved it :)  I've never had thoughts one way or the other about Leonardo DiCaprio, but I am a big Robert Redford fan, and a big fan of Toby Stephens, who played Gatsby in other versions....but honestly, I thought Leo was the best Gatsby yet.  And the colour, the flamboyance, the energy of the film - it was just brilliant.  Oh, and I far preferred Cary Mulligan as Daisy to Mia Farrow.  I love the book, and as we all know, sometimes film adaptations can be a let-down, but this one certainly was not.

Generally I'd prefer to read it first but stupid me only just made the connection that it's Baz Luhrman who did Romeo & Juliet with Dicaprio (which I thought was fantastic) so I'd be willing to watch it without reading the book first.

Just got back from seeing it at the cinema (in 2D).  Is there anything Baz Luhrmann can't make wonderful?!  I loved the design, the costumes, the music, the script, the pace ... just everything about it!

Having just finished reading the book this morning, I could only spot a couple of omissions of minor details from the book but they weren't necessary, and very minor things.  Considering I didn't like the book very much - it just left me with an empty feeling - I was surprised by how much more emotion was conveyed on the screen which made me engage much more with the characters, particularly Gatsby and Daisy, and the performances of both DiCaprio and Mulligan were captivating.

It didn't match up to The Red Curtain trilogy for me, but it was still a fantastic cinematic experience.

• 2 months later...

I saw it the other day having read the book over the Summer.

As an adaptation of the book I was quite impressed; it was really very true to the book. However, as a film in itself, I was a little disappointed. I felt the party scenes weren't bombastic enough - the fantastic soundtrack took to the background, which I thought was a shame as it's a great soundtrack and should have really overpowered those scenes, almost to the level that you're actually at Gatsby's parties. I also felt that some of the narration was superfluous, or should have been done differently. In general, too, the film was too long and dragged it's heels towards the end - and I wasn't always convinced by the actor's portrayals of the characters (though this is more down to the script, I think).

And all those damn crossfades. Far too much crossfade.