Read-a-thon - (2013-2015)

Athena

I love the sound of this. :) Count me in. I'm good for any day, as long as I have a week or two notice so I don't plan any work or activities.

I'm a reasonably slow reader, so I don't think I'd get through a number of books. I'd probably be most likely to keep a large stack next to me and read bits and pieces of each throughout the day. :)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The only question now becomes, which weekend :P?

The next up weekends:

30-05 / 1-2 June (this is in two weeks, earliest possible due to various people's work schedules)

7-8-9 June

14-15-16 June (Frankie is unavailable, holiday (this is the correct weekend you are unavailable?))

21-22-23 June (Athena may be unavailable, boyfriend may be coming over (I should know this in a bit))

28-29-30 June (Athena may be unavailable, RoboCup)

5-6-7 July

12-13-14 July

19-20-21 July (people may be on holiday?)

<and so on>

Feel free to tell me your preferences, if any. I've only included Frankie and myself so far since those dates have been discussed.

Edited by Athena

My personal references:

I'm also unavailable on 7-8-9 June  and 12-13-14 July.

But if the majority is available for those weekends, I'd be happy to join on another read-a-thon :)

Edited by frankie

Any weekend is fine with me. I'll no doubt have some things to do during all of them but I'll probably throw myself in at the deep end and make an entire weekend of it as opposed to just one of the days.

I'll be away the same weekend that Frankie is away. I have something on the 1st, but if you're doing it in 3-day blocks, then I can do it on the 30th or the 2nd. Perhaps we could make it sooner rather than later? July seems so far away, and we're all excited to do it now-ish. :D

(Frankie, you are missing a crucial 'K' from your signature! :P)

I'll be away the same weekend that Frankie is away. I have something on the 1st, but if you're doing it in 3-day blocks, then I can do it on the 30th or the 2nd. Perhaps we could make it sooner rather than later? July seems so far away, and we're all excited to do it now-ish. :D

Yes, it appears we are rather enthusiastic :giggle2:

(Frankie, you are missing a crucial 'K' from your signature! :P)

:D Well at least it's implied! Kylie kaveri <3

I'm also unavailable on 7-8-9 June  and 12-13-14 July.

x

Adding these two posts to the dates, I propose the weekend of the 30-05 01-06 02-06, since it's a weekend a lot of people are available and it's pretty soon. What do you think, is it too soon?

Until the date, maybe we could post our plans / TBRs? I'd love to hear what you all are planning on reading. I've got some books lined up but I can't read all of them ( :lol:) so I'll have to choose. Decisions, decisions..

Edited by Athena

:D Well at least it's implied! Kylie kaveri <3

That's true! Thank you. :)

x

Adding these two posts to the dates, I propose the weekend of the 30-05 01-06 02-06, since it's a weekend a lot of people are available and it's pretty soon. What do you think, is it too soon?

Until the date, maybe we could post our plans / TBRs? I'd love to hear what you all are planning on reading. I've got some books lined up but I can't read all of them ( :lol:) so I'll have to choose. Decisions, decisions..

The weekend of 30 May-2 June is good for me.

I'm going to start making piles of books. :)

That's true! Thank you. :)

(And I couldn't just put you on the list and make people jealous ;):giggle:)

The weekend of 30 May-2 June is good for me.

I'm good for that, too! :smile2:

I've been catching up with my dear pal mojo these days so I'm not sure which books I might be able to finish before the great big ~Read-a-thon~, so I can't start planning yet... But I think I'm going to go for something I would normally be hesitant about picking up. Or then I might go for something I've been wanting to read for ages :smile2:

Edit: Athena, what have you been thinking about reading?! :)

Edited by frankie

It's great to have you three participating :)!

x

I've been catching up with my dear pal mojo these days so I'm not sure which books I might be able to finish before the great big ~Read-a-thon~, so I can't start planning yet...

Edit: Athena, what have you been thinking about reading?! :)

I'm a bit the same, I'm not quite sure yet what I'll have read by that time. Never the less, here are some books I'm thinking about (some I'm pretty sure they'll be on the pile, some I don't know yet. Obviously I've got to limit it XD. Where there are listed several per genre, I'll likely only pick one (two if they're short), and I won't pick all genres):

Manga:

Natsumi Ando - Wild @ Heart Vol. 1-3 (I haven't heard anything about this, I picked it up at random for a really cheap price at the book fair XD)

Detective:

A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 1: Een Strop voor Bobby (Dutch detective)

Information:

For Dummies book (it depends how far I'm with the current one by then. I expect I'll have finished it, so will pick another one.) [Kindle]

Children's:

Roald Dahl - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (re-read)

Paranormal:

Charlaine Harris - Sookie Stackhouse 1: Dead Until Dark (Starting this would mean starting the series) (unsure)

YA:

Sara Shepard - Pretty Little Liars 1: Pretty Little Liars

Literature:

H. P. Lovecraft - The Call of Cthulhu

Gaston Leroux - The Phantom of the Opera

Lewis Carroll - Alice in Wonderland

Charles Dickes - Oliver Twist

Contemporary Fiction & chick-lit:

Nicholas Sparks - The Wedding

Garth Stein - The Art of Racing in the Rain (I believe it was frankie who recommended this?)

Jojo Moyes - Me Before You

Banana Yoshimoto - Hardboiled Hard Luck

Talli Roland - Miracle at the Museum of Broken Hearts [Kindle]

Fantasy:

George R. R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire 1: A Game of Thrones (if I haven't started it by then)

James Clemens - The Banned & The Banished 1: Wit'ch Fire (re-read)

David B. Coe - The Chronicles of Lontobyn 1: Children of Amarid (re-read)

(only one of these two re-reads)

Sci-fi

Iain M. Banks - Culture 4: The State of the Art

Isaac Asimov - Foundation 1: Foundation (it would mean starting a new series)

Horror

Stephen King - It

Maybe a few QuickReads.

[Kindle]

Other than what's mentioned, perhaps I'll include some more shorter Kindle books or short stories. I would like to have a mix between paperbooks and Kindle (with probably the balance leaning towards paperbooks).

Hmm, now that I think about it, I keep adding more and more to this list :lol: (to be fair, I also did cross some off that I had in my mind). I'll have to lessen it a bit :P. Hopefully I'll have some time on both Saturday and Sunday. Friday I'm either working on my uni stuff or really tired from working on it, so it's not the best time. I may be able to get a bit of reading done, but that's as far as it goes. At the end of the week it's usually me lying down trying to rest.

Edited by Athena

That's a good selection to choose from! And I say it's only better you have lots to choose from, then you can just see whatever takes your fancy on that particular day and go with it :)

I
Paranormal:
Charlaine Harris - Sookie Stackhouse 1: Dead Until Dark (Starting this would mean starting the series)

I would recommend this :giggle2:

Garth Stein - The Art of Racing in the Rain (I believe it was frankie who recommended this?)

Yep, I'm one of those on here who've read the book and loved it and kept on recommending it :giggle2: I think you would really enjoy it!

Jojo Moyes - Me Before You

I don't have this, it's on my wishlist... I think this would make a great read, too...!

Hm, I wonder how to minimize the distractions... Preparing food in advance? Doing all the housework beforehand? Reading on the potty?? :giggle: No, I'm not taking this way too seriously.... :D

Edited by frankie

I plan to stay away from the computer for the most part (except those times where I want to read other's progress and type my own). The computer (the internet) is one of my biggest distractions. I plan to have lunch and dinner with my family, so that will take up a bit of time. I might tell them what I'm doing and maybe I'll be excused from cooking and cleaning up :P. I don't know, I'd have to talk with them. I think I still should feed the animals, because it doesn't take up a lot of time if I'm quick but I could talk with my family. It'll be a weekend so they should be around. I normally eat and drink something with my family around coffee and teatime but I could just do that in my room with a mueslibar and some water (or something), that would save some time.

My dad is giving an important talk soon after that weekend, I did tell him I'd be happy to listen to his practising if he needs any help (and I won't retract that statement). I also may do a bit of uni work.

Overall I should have quite a few hours to read I hope :). Hopefully at least 8 hours each weekend day so total should be at least 16. Possibly 10-15 hours each day so total would be 20-30. I'm hoping the reading won't tire me out too much, that's why I tried to picked shorter reads mainly, so it'd keep me going more easily. An big, epic story will need some time to sink in.

EDIT: Frankie, if you are on your own, maybe pre-peparing (a) certain meal(s) of the day might be a good idea. That way you could just take it out of the cupboard/fridge/freezer and eat it. I recommend keeping some water near you or another drink, while you read, and maybe something to eat. I have a sink close by where I plan on reading so it's not a big problem to get up and drink water.

Where do you plan on reading? I normally read behind the computer quite a bit, but for the read-a-thon I plan to read on my sofa since then the computer won't distract me and it's more comfortable. If the weather is good I might read outside for a while but today we may actually reach a cold-record so not sure if it'll be good weather in two weeks.

Edited by Athena

It reminds me of all my NaNoWriMo plans each November, except thankfully on a smaller-scale (I can definitely only go through that kind of planning once a year). I plan on reading probably on my bed for comfortability, and I'll only take time out for meals, checking up on you guys' progress (only now and again though, so as not to distract from the actual reading) and for bowls which I'll most likely have on the Saturday.

Other than that I hope we have some nice weather, which is unlikely if this hail is anything to go by..

Wow, I think participating in NaNoWriMo would be way too much pressure for me!

I've added to the plan Banana Yoshimoto - Hardboiled Hard Luck and haven't yet added to my pile (yes I made several piles :giggle: so much fun) a Charles Dickens book or the Sookie Stackhouse book (the latter because I'd have to open up the plastic so I don't want to do that yet if I'm not sure I'm going to read it).

I'm very tempted to start A Game of Thrones soon so I may already be reading it or have finished it by the time it's read-a-thon time :P.

I've added Nicholas Sparks - The Wedding to the plan, because I'm in a sort of a (Nicholas Sparks) discussion read group on GR that'll read The Wedding next month. So far most of the reads have been books I don't own and not much discussion has happened at all, but if I feel up for it I might read it.

I'm still quite excited about our read-a-thon, I'm looking forward to do lots of reading and read all your' progress etc. I do worry I've selected too many books and I'll have trouble picking next week :lol:.

You can never select too many books. :haha:

I'm still considering my choices but I'll spend more time on it this week. Hopefully going to have my current two reads finished by then so can dip into my TBR at will. I'm definitely over-excited for this now.

Great idea Athena, i would have loved to join in but like Chaliepud the children & the housework would get in the way. I will enjoy following everyone's progress on the Read-a-thon Thread though  :smile:

@ Kidsmum

I understand, I hope you have a fun time though with your children :).

I just realised that the date I posted was wrong, it should be 31-05 01-06 02-06. My apologies! (though I assume you were all able to work it out).

When the time comes, please, feel free to post progress here, how things are going. Long reviews should go into your own review thread (if you have one) (personally I plan on jotting down thoughts after each book but not posting them until the read-a-thon is over), some progress may also be posted in the Your Book Activity thread. Any progress not including reading, such as where you're located, how you can concentrate, maybe what you're doing food wise, etc. should probably go in this topic and not in the Your Book Activity thread.