Read-a-thon - (2013-2015)

Athena

Sounds a good idea! I have a lot of dickens books, stephen King plus the following: 'The Boy in the striped Pyjamas' by John Boyle, 'On Chesil Beach' by Ian McEwan, 'The Island' by Victoria Hislop and 'The Red Queen' by Philippa Gregory. If anyone is interesting in reading any of these boosk a-long with me during the next read-a-thon, then let me know!

x

I own several of those books, however I don't know yet if I'll be reading them by then and how much time I'll have for reading. But when the time is closer I should be able to have some answers :).

EDIT: I own books by Charles Dickens, Stephen King and Ian McEwan - On Chesil Beach.

Edited by Athena

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

x

I own several of those books, however I don't know yet if I'll be reading them by then and how much time I'll have for reading. But when the time is closer I should be able to have some answers :).

EDIT: I own books by Charles Dickens, Stephen King and Ian McEwan - On Chesil Beach.

Well we can discuss this nearer the time!

• 2 weeks later...

I'll either read my 3 Lawrence Block or 4 James Patterson. Depending on the book I'm reading, I may put it aside. My page counts will only be from the read-a-thon.

I don't know yet if I'll be participating next time. It's the weekend before my big presentation so I'm just going to do what I feel helps a lot against being stressed (and of course practise the presentation). I don't know if that'll be reading, since when I'm very stressed reading doesn't always help to be honest. I haven't read a lot in the past few days, so I am looking forward to doing some reading, but I have to see how things go really.

I'm looking forward to this weekend's read-a-thon. I'm not sure how much reading I'll get done tomorrow as I have to study, but the rest of the weekend will help me catch up on all of the reading I've missed lately.

Edited by karen.d

I thought it was the next weekend as the first full weekend of the month (including Friday) i.e. 5th/6th/7th July?  That's what I've been planning for. :dunno:

yes .. me too :confused: 

Just looked and yes it is on 5th/6th/7th July, sorry! :doh: At least I'll have another week to plan my reads for the read-a-thon.

Edited by karen.d

It's just because we're all so eager to get started, Karen. :D

Very true! :D

Absolutely!  Anyone got any ideas what they're going to be reading yet?

I'm not entirely sure, but a friend of mine has given me the '44 Scotland Street' series by Alexander McCall Smith and I'm quite tempted to use the read-a-thon to read these. Then again I have loads of Charles Dickens books to read and lots other things, so I guess I'll decide next week.

I really liked 44 Scotland Street, and quite interestingly, he wrote it as a serial published daily (I think, it may have been weekly) in a newspaper, which is similar to how Dickens novels were published originally. :)

I think it would work well for a read-a-thon, due to the consistent length of the chapters, it makes it easy to stop and start for the bits of life that get in the way (drinks, food, forum updates, etc ;)).

I really liked 44 Scotland Street, and quite interestingly, he wrote it as a serial published daily (I think, it may have been weekly) in a newspaper, which is similar to how Dickens novels were published originally. :)

I think it would work well for a read-a-thon, due to the consistent length of the chapters, it makes it easy to stop and start for the bits of life that get in the way (drinks, food, forum updates, etc ;)).

I think I might chose these books then!

It is Wimbledon finals weekend and that might put a spanner in the works but then .. should things get tense .. I can escape behind my book instead of a cushion :D I'm definitely going to tackle Of Mice and Men .. apart from that I'm not sure.

Yes poppyshake! So glad you're reading Of Mice and Men during the read-a-thon.. what a wonderful book. Haven't decided what I'm going to go for yet, but I've got du Maurier's The Rendezvous and Other Stories waiting so that could be an option.

I will be taking part as well despite the fact I have to work on Friday and Saturday. Hopefully work is nice and quiet so I can get some reading done. I might also tackle Of Mice and Men to start with.

Of Mice and Men is just wonderful, Poppyshake. I think (well, I really really hope!) that you'll enjoy it.

I'm going to try to participate again. Hopefully I'll get more reading done this time (I don't think I could read any less!) I still have my pile of books stacked up in the library from last time, so I'll tackle them again. :)

I'm well excited about the marathon this weekend, I was almost hoping karen.d was right last week and the read-a-thon would've been last weekend :blush::giggle2:

Not long now to wait frankie! Tomorrow I'm not going to get as much reading as I would like, as I have some study to do and then going out in the evening, but for the rest of the weekend I'm going to be chilling out with the 'Scotland Street' books!