Read-a-thon - (2013-2015)

Athena

All right, so the next read-a-thon will be on the 5th, 6th and 7th of July (05-07 06-07 07-07) :). I don't know how much I'll participate because I have my big presentation coming up etc, but we'll see. I look forward to read all your progress (whomever participates), I should be able to get some reading done at least, I think.

(Also, on the 7th there is a "Kennedy March" in our street during the night, so presumably I may not get much sleep :banghead: )

Edited by Athena

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All right, so the next read-a-thon will be on the 5th, 6th and 7th of July (05-07 06-07 07-07) :). I don't know how much I'll participate because I have my big presentation coming up etc, but we'll see. I look forward to read all your progress (whomever participates), I should be able to get some reading done at least, I think.

(Also, on the 7th there is a "Kennedy March" in our street during the night, so presumably I may not get much sleep :banghead: )

So it'll be a 3 day read-a-thon this time?

I put it like that because last time it was Friday Saturday Sunday too (I believe it was frankie's idea?). I don't know, what do you all want? For me, as was evident last time, I can't read too much anyway so for me it doesn't matter if it's two or three days.

It was 31 May, 1 June and 2 June for the first one.   You don't have to read over all three days though.  :)  I was able to this time because my plans for Friday changed, but usually I spend the day with my Mum on a Friday so next time I'll just do Saturday and Sunday.    :)

I put it like that because last time it was Friday Saturday Sunday too (I believe it was frankie's idea?). I don't know, what do you all want? For me, as was evident last time, I can't read too much anyway so for me it doesn't matter if it's two or three days.

3 days is fine with me although over the weekend I will be able to get more reading in than on the Friday. However, I'm really looking forward to this! :D

Great idea, Kylie :cool:

All right, so the next read-a-thon will be on the 5th, 6th and 7th of July (05-07 06-07 07-07) :).

Sounds good, I'm in as much as I can be! :)

Yep, last time it was the whole weekend (which is including the Friday), but I don't think it was my idea, I don't know how it came to be :D But I think it's better to have a three day stretch, this way more people can take part in it, because they'll have three different days to work around in their schedule :)

Karen, I'm happy you can join in the next time, knowing you were sad you missed the last one! :friends3:

I started afresh but that was just how things turned out. I know some people started at various different points during their books. As most were just recording how many pages they'd got through, I don't think it matters where you start. :D

I agree with Ben. It doesn't matter where you start. There are no rules to this, so you can do what you like!

I'm glad everyone agrees with the first weekend of the month. :) I also like that it's three days; that way, there's more chance that people can participate on at least one of the three days. I'm already excited about the next one!

I started afresh but that was just how things turned out. I know some people started at various different points during their books. As most were just recording how many pages they'd got through, I don't think it matters where you start. :D

I counted the books but included it as (1 started before beginning of read-a-thon). Pages wise I only counted the pages I read during the read-a-thon. It's completely up to you, really :).

I agree with Ben. It doesn't matter where you start. There are no rules to this, so you can do what you like!

I'm glad everyone agrees with the first weekend of the month. :) I also like that it's three days; that way, there's more chance that people can participate on at least one of the three days. I'm already excited about the next one!

Thanks for the advice everyone! I wasn't sure whether I could count currently reads as part of this. Looking forward to it!

I would say the first Friday+weekend of the month. So if the first is a Friday, Saturday or Sunday, then on those days. If the first falls onto a different day, then the soonest weekend (+Friday) after that. I think this should make it easier to remember. What do you think?

EDIT: Do you think it's worth asking the moderating staff in a while, to pin this topic?

Edited by Athena

I would say the first Friday+weekend of the month. So if the first is a Friday, Saturday or Sunday, then on those days. If the first falls onto a different day, then the soonest weekend (+Friday) after that. I think this should make it easier to remember. What do you think?

I'm sorry - I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly.   I would count the first weekend in July as 5, 6, 7 - the first of August as 2, 3, 4, September as 6, 7, 8 - (because 1st is on a Sunday which is the last day of the read-a-thon, so that's technically the last weekend in August) - is that what you mean?

Yeah I didn't explain that all too well.. those dates sound good to me! :)

So, the first Friday+weekend that fully falls into the month is when we have it. <- Does this make more sense?

Edited by Athena

Sounds a great idea to me! Also, this might be more confusing though, what about if we sometimes have a read-a-long weekend, where all of us spend the weekend reading the same book? Then we can track where we are and what we think of the book too. Too much, do you think?

I think we have the reading circle for that really. I like the idea of freedom that you get with the read-a-thon.

Also, this might be more confusing though, what about if we sometimes have a read-a-long weekend, where all of us spend the weekend reading the same book? Then we can track where we are and what we think of the book too. Too much, do you think?

I think we have the reading circle for that really. I like the idea of freedom that you get with the read-a-thon.

Maybe if people wanted to, they could use the read-a-thon weekend to read that months reading circle book. As it's the first weekend in the month, it might work well, and people could both read and discuss the book at the same time? I think I might keep The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry to read during the next read-a-thon.

Or, if some people do fancy reading the same book but not the reading circle choice, they could make suggestions of what books they have to read and see if anyone wanted to join them? That way, there's no pressure for those who want the freedom to read their own books, but for others who do want to read the same could have an informal agreement to pick a book between them.

Edited by chesilbeach

Chesilbeach, those sound like some good ideas :)!

I will save The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry until the end of June at least (I don't know yet how much time I have to read that period, until I'm done with uni).

Maybe if people wanted to, they could use the read-a-thon weekend to read that months reading circle book. As it's the first weekend in the month, it might work well, and people could both read and discuss the book at the same time? I think I might keep The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry to read during the next read-a-thon.

Or, if some people do fancy reading the same book but not the reading circle choice, they could make suggestions of what books they have to read and see if anyone wanted to join them? That way, there's no pressure for those who want the freedom to read their own books, but for others who do want to read the same could have an informal agreement to pick a book between them.

Sounds a good idea! I have a lot of dickens books, stephen King plus the following: 'The Boy in the striped Pyjamas' by John Boyle, 'On Chesil Beach' by Ian McEwan, 'The Island' by Victoria Hislop and 'The Red Queen' by Philippa Gregory. If anyone is interesting in reading any of these boosk a-long with me during the next read-a-thon, then let me know!

I agree with Ben, the freedom to choose your own books is best. If like Chesil, you want to read and discuss a book between yourselves, then you could post the results of your discussion on this thread.