Read-a-thon - (2013-2015)

Athena

:o  You read 1,577 pages in a little over 8 hours?  

544 pages in 45 minutes:thud:  Wow - that is amazing!

Puts my pathetic effort to shame! :blush:  Well done!  :)

x

Well to be fair, that was a manga book so there's little text on each page and mainly illustrations. I couldn't have done it otherwise I think! Thank you ^_^.

I've always been a fast reader. As a child, when we had to read something for ourselves in class, I was always finished way before everyone else was. I could read the piece twice before many of the other children were finished. I'm very pleased with this skill. I can't process too much information in (what is for me) too little time though.

I think everyone did really well!

Ben, I also hope we can organise another one soon.

Edited by Athena

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

J - with regards your spoiler about Oliver Twist, that was the biggest difference I noticed from the film to the book. Obviously there are some additional plot threads too, but in terms of things that appeared in both I mean!

I guess it's 'of its time', and that maybe the characterisation of 'The Jew' wouldn't be written quite the same now?   My head can rationalise that, but my emotions find it rather... abhorrent is maybe too strong a word, but I don't know, I guess I just find it a bit distasteful.  I'm just over half way through now (Oliver is in bed in the house where the burglary took place and they've just convinced the policemen Blathers and Duff (I keep picturing Statler and Waldorf for some reason!  :giggle2: ) that Oliver wasn't involved in the robbery) and I am really enjoying reading it - to my relief! There is a lot more to it than either of the film versions I've seen.  :)

.I've always been a fast reader. As a child, when we had to read something for ourselves in class, I was always finished way before everyone else was. I could read the piece twice before many of the other children were finished. I'm very pleased with this skill. I can't process too much information in (what is for me) too little time though.

Even taking into account that one book was Manga, it's still a very impressive set of stats.  :)

I'm just not a fast reader and as I've got older I find I need to read at a sensible (for me) rate, otherwise I find I have to refer back too often to remind myself what has happened!  :blush:

Last night I read from 9.45pm to 10.20pm and then I had to admit defeat!

I will go and work out my own stats.  :)

I've tentatively read the new posts and I'm happy everyone's seemed to have fun with this! It was a whole lot of fun :D

I had only one hour's sleep last night (it's the heat, the lightness and, I was worried about this morning's dental appointment), so I really have to take a nap now, I'll come back later to fully read the posts and do my own stats.

Well done everyone! :friends3: :friends3:

My totals for the weekend are:

Friday:

Reading (on and off) from 12.00 noon until 4.30pm (roughly 3½ hours in total) - A Yorkshire Boyhood by Roy Hattersley - P133 to end = 161 pages

Saturday:

Reading from 2.00pm to 2.45pm and 3.45pm to 4.30pm - Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens - 15% read

Reading from 10.45pm to 11.15pm - Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens - 5% read   - total of this book read = 20%

Sunday:

Reading from 12.15pm to 12.45pm - Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens - 6% read   - total of this book read = 26%

Reading from   3.00pm to   4.45pm - Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens - 16% read - total of this book read = 42%

Reading from   9.45pm to 10.20pm - Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens - 4% read   - total of this book read = 46%

Overall - 161 pages of A Yorkshire Boyhood by Roy Hattersley and 46% of Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens (using my Vintage paperback that's around 191 pages) - so 352 pages read in around 8½ hours.

It sounds rather pathetic compared to some, but on an average weekend I'd probably only read for about 3 hours in total - and it made me start a Dickens, which I was intending to do during 2013 but had been putting off!  :D

Thanks for suggesting it, Athena.  :)  I'd definitely be up for another one.

I've really enjoyed doing it .. thanks for suggesting it Athena :) Unfortunately, I didn't keep a note of how many hours I read but for the three days it must have totalled somewhere between 15-20 hours. Next time I'll be sure to write it down.

Friday: The Nose by Nikloai Gogol (24 pages), The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me by Roald Dahl (72 pages .. though to be correct only approx 44 pages of text), The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (145 pages) 

Saturday: Mrs Harris Goes to Paris by Paul Gallico (120 pages), The Little White Car by Danuta de Rhodes (259 pages) & The Girl Who Ruled Fairyland - For a Little While by Catherynne M. Valente (31 pages)

Sunday: Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell (230 pages) and 88 pages of The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken

Plus I read a further 48 pages of Brick Lane by Monica Ali and 63 pages of of Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James

So that's pages read in total .... ermm ... *runs out of fingers* :huh: .. 1052 :smile: Not too shabby though some of your figures are amazing. I always thought I read fairly quickly but I've plodded compared :blush2: 

7 books read in total (though three of those were short stories). I tended to pick up small books .. it kept me interested. I think I would have been defeated by a large book. It was exciting .. two of the books in particular had long been nagging away at me (The Great Gatsby & Down and Out in Paris and London) and it was the perfect time to pick them up :)

Well done everyone! Hope we can do it again.

Because I did all my reading on the Kindle this weekend, I don't have any page stats, and I must admit, I wasn't as meticulous about timekeeping as I'd intended, so I don't have any stats for that either.  But to sum up, I read 36% of Skios by Michael Frayn, 100% of Miss Phryne Fisher Investigates, 10% of Can Anyone Hear Me? by Peter Baxter, and 79% of Moon Over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch.  When we have the next one, I'll definitely be more organised and have my stop watch going! :lol:

Looks like we did a great job between us all though. :readingtwo:  Can't wait for the next one! :D  Well done, Athena, great suggestion.  :doowapstart:

:o  You read 1,577 pages in a little over 8 hours?  

544 pages in 45 minutes:thud:  Wow - that is amazing!

Puts my pathetic effort to shame! :blush:  Well done!  :)

That was exactly my reaction!!!!!

WOW!!

Well done Athena!!

I'm really impressed with everyone's progress. :readingtwo:

Edited by pontalba

I'm glad I wasn't timing my progress because my stats really would have brought the averages down! Unfortunately I didn't end up having much of a read-a-thon. I sat down for dinner and to watch an episode of Gilmore Girls, and I got completely carried away and ended up watching lots of TV. *embarrassed* I will try again for the next one though!

Hey Kylie, we forgive you. Only because sitting down to watch just one episode of Gilmore Girls we all know is asking for trouble. ;)

Hi, i've been away in London (and away from internet) and only just noticed this thread. I'm so sad that I missed this :cry: . The read-a-thon seemed to be a success, so is there a possibly of a future read-a-thon? I would love to take part.

Everyone's been doing so brilliantly! :) I also like it that eventhough we are not together in real life, this has felt like we've been in some ways together :) If that makes any sense!

Friday 5 hrs
Saturday 2 + 5 hrs
Sunday 1 1/2 hrs

I'm finding Rebus an easier read than Resnick, but the Resnick stories were linked together more.
Not sure if I'll get to the 7 in Beggers Banquet.

550 Pages in 13 1/2 hours.

During the rest of Sunday I managed to read 128 pages of Target by Simon Kernick.

Well done dex :)  I believe you read short stories of Rebus? How short are they in general, does he have some crime to solve in each of them?

I'm upto chapter four of Moon Over Soho and delighted to discover there's jazz involved in the storyline, so to complement it, just put on to some Matthew Halsall to listen to while reading.  Books + Jazz = a very happy read-a-thon-er! :smile2:

Sounds good :D How manyeth is MOS in the series?

I am very impressed with all the efforts of everyone on the read-a-thon. Would have loved to have joined in but with a very active 7 month old I just wouldn't be able to dedicate any serious amount of time. Hopefully there will be another in the future?

Oh I think there's definitely another one coming :yes:

I bought a lot of the Bloomsbury books at Hay when I went in 2011 and this one was among them .. it's the only one on the 1001 I think so I've killed two birds so to speak :D

I had no idea this was a 1001 book! Now I'm all the more happier I've added it to my wishlist :smile2:

x
I would like to have another! I think I'm not the only one :smile2:? We can all reflect on it and if a few or more people are interested, we could have another one (I mean, why not?). Then, we'd have to think of how far into the future we'd want to have it. Summer is coming up and some people may be going on holidays, etc (or we could wait until September or later). It's also possible to change the dates to be during the week or whatever/whenever we fancy.

We should most definitely do this again! I'm so happy you came up with the idea!! Thank you :flowers2::friends3:

And like I said before, wow you are a really fast reader, I'm in awe! That's gotta feel good, I wish I could half as fast as you do :D Do you read as quickly in English as in Dutch?

Due to my condition/disability I couldn't read as much as I'd liked, on Friday (tired from the week of university work) and Sunday (tired from input on Saturday and before). So a read-a-thon that lasts a week I couldn't fully participate in, maybe I could participate on some days but not others. However, I enjoyed myself immensely! Especially on Saturday, it reminded me of the days when I was a child and I'd read for most of the day. It has inspired me to do more reading and be less distracted by things such as the internet. It was great to read some books that I don't normally read that often, such as short stories, novellas and a manga, I also read a Dutch detective and two literature novellas.

I have to say I agree, the read-a-thon has definitely inspired me to read more during the day, too (I'm big on reading in bed before falling asleep). I confess before the actual marathon I did a little practising, and I haven't been watching TV in a few weeks, except for a few movies :) This has done a lot of good for my reading! :)

Janet, going by your statistics I can say that you and I read at the same pace, more or less (I might be a bit slower!), so no worries :lol::friends3:

I've really enjoyed doing it .. thanks for suggesting it Athena :) Unfortunately, I didn't keep a note of how many hours I read but for the three days it must have totalled somewhere between 15-20 hours. Next time I'll be sure to write it down.

What kind of a cell phone do you have? Does it have a whatchamacallit, this app that times how long you're doing something? I used that on my cell phone and found that was an easy way to record how much time I spent on reading. Allthough I forgot to record the last reading stretch :lol:

In general: I'm well impressed that some of you guys read more than 100 pages!!!  I take my hat off to you guys, I don't think I could've done it even if I had read double as long as I did :)

Because I did all my reading on the Kindle this weekend, I don't have any page stats, and I must admit, I wasn't as meticulous about timekeeping as I'd intended, so I don't have any stats for that either.  But to sum up, I read 36% of Skios by Michael Frayn, 100% of Miss Phryne Fisher Investigates, 10% of Can Anyone Hear Me? by Peter Baxter, and 79% of Moon Over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch.  When we have the next one, I'll definitely be more organised and have my stop watch going! :lol:

Good thinking, I did the stop watch thing (with  my cell phone) and it was really handy :D

I'm glad I wasn't timing my progress because my stats really would have brought the averages down! Unfortunately I didn't end up having much of a read-a-thon. I sat down for dinner and to watch an episode of Gilmore Girls, and I got completely carried away and ended up watching lots of TV. *embarrassed* I will try again for the next one though!

:lol: Oh GG is always GG ;):cool:

Hi, i've been away in London (and away from internet) and only just noticed this thread. I'm so sad that I missed this :cry: . The read-a-thon seemed to be a success, so is there a possibly of a future read-a-thon? I would love to take part.

I think it's pretty safe to say we're doing another one, people have seemed to enjoy it a lot and many people are already asking if we could do this again :D

I did so much quoting that I had to post away before doing my own 'stats' because I was just worried I'd lose the reply...

I didn't do a lot of different stats, after all, because I ended up only reading two books (and not even whole books).

Friday: 1h 31 min

Saturday: 4h 57 min (plus reading in bed which I didn't time :rolleyes:)
Sunday: 1h 53 min + some reading in the evening which I forgot to record :rolleyes: and reading at night again

And I managed

Valley of the Dolls: 300 pages (from p. 106 to end)

French Children Don't Throw Food: 276  (from start to p. 276)

Overall I'm really happy about the marathon! I'd assumed I would manage more hours but Friday was a bit busy and last night I had to cope with bookcase malfunction. Also I had to do household chores, being a singleton who lives alone.

It was great fun, thanks Athena for the idea, let's do this again soon!! :smile2::readingtwo::friends3:

Edited by frankie

I think it's pretty safe to say we're doing another one, people have seemed to enjoy it a lot and many people are already asking if we could do this again :D

Great! Count me in for the next read-a-thon! I love the idea

They were all about 20 pages long and yes, they all had a conclusion. My original thought was to read short stories as I might need the conclusions to keep me going. This might have been a mistake as by sunday I didn't want to read. If I hadn't read in bed, my stats would have been, 4, 5, 0.

I posted titles of stories and size of books on my reading thread. Next time I think I'll read short books.

I generally read 1/2 hr after waking up and on the bus to work 15 mins, basically a chapter. during breaks at work about 40 mins and return journey. I might continue reading when I get back, but mainly I read between 10.30 and midnight.

Saturday mornings I can easily do a couple of hours.

They were all about 20 pages long and yes, they all had a conclusion.

I just find it a bit odd that there would be enough 'meat' in the stories, and that they could actually come to a conclusion in so few pages. But then again I don't think I've ever read any crime short stories... I have one by Jeffery Deaver, I think it's a Lincoln Rhyme book. Maybe I should bump that one up on the pile of books to read next :)

My original thought was to read short stories as I might need the conclusions to keep me going. This might have been a mistake as by sunday I didn't want to read. If I hadn't read in bed, my stats would have been, 4, 5, 0.

It sounds like a logical way to go, too bad it didn't work for you on Sunday :(  But now you'll have a better idea of how to manage a read-a-thon the next time :)

Next time.. words that bring joy to my ears. :rolol:

So, this weekend good for everyone, yes? :giggle:

I would definitely be up for participating in a read-a-thon next Saturday, but may be the others who took part in the last one need a bit of a rest from books?

@ poppyshake and others

Those are some impressive statistics!

x

x

It's ok! It can happen :). As long as you had some fun though, maybe next time you can try to read some more if you want to.

x

Everyone's been doing so brilliantly! :) I also like it that eventhough we are not together in real life, this has felt like we've been in some ways together :) If that makes any sense!

x

Yes!!

@ the idea of a stopwatch app

Somehow I had quoted this but I can't find it anymore so..

I didn't even think of this idea! I don't think I have an app for it but I'm sure there's free ones out there for it (maybe I do have one for it, I don't know XD). What I did was, archaicly perhaps, recorded the begin time and end time, every time, then at the end of the day calculated the totals. Yes it took some time but it was good brain training. 

@ all who liked the read-a-thon

I'm so glad you all liked it!! That means a lot to me :friends3:. I had a lot of fun reading all your progress and thoughts and I'm glad you all had fun too.

@ those who praised the speed of my reading

Thank you so much! It means a lot to me :). I like to see this as one of my skills, even though not many people at university know about it (obviously reading scientific articles goes slower than reading a manga, but I'm still faster than most I think). It's something I'm proud of, I'm not proud of that many things but I quite like that I've always been able to read fast.

x

I would definitely be up for participating in a read-a-thon next Saturday, but may be the others who took part in the last one need a bit of a rest from books?

x

I'd love to have a future read-a-thon and I think there is enough interest to hold another one. But next Saturday is a bit too soon for me, personally. If you and others all want to have it, then sure (I just won't read as much as last time). If I remember correctly, frankie is away (BTW frankie, have fun!), I think others may be available. In the next few weeks I'll be finishing up my uni work (that reminds me, I should update my member's thread) so I'm not sure how much time and energy I'll have available for reading. However after that I should have more time. I don't know on which time basis would people like to have another one? I mean, ie. in a month, a few weeks, in two months.. We can plan it better if we know what everyone would prefer.

@  the idea of a stopwatch app

I didn't even think of this idea! I don't think I have an app for it but I'm sure there's free ones out there for it (maybe I do have one for it, I don't know XD). What I did was, archaicly perhaps, recorded the begin time and end time, every time, then at the end of the day calculated the totals. Yes it took some time but it was good brain training. 

I would think you would have that in your cell phone...? You ought to check it out for the next read-a-thon! :) And yep, it was good to have to tally up the hours, I'm a very wordy person and eventhough I was good at maths in school, I've forgotten so much about it and it's rare these days that one has to do numbers, that it was definitely a worthy exercise :D

@ those who praised the speed of my reading

Thank you so much! It means a lot to me :). I like to see this as one of my skills, even though not many people at university know about it (obviously reading scientific articles goes slower than reading a manga, but I'm still faster than most I think). It's something I'm proud of, I'm not proud of that many things but I quite like that I've always been able to read fast.

It's definitely a great and useful skill, something to be happy about :yes:

I'd love to have a future read-a-thon and I think there is enough interest to hold another one. But next Saturday is a bit too soon for me, personally. If you and others all want to have it, then sure (I just won't read as much as last time). If I remember correctly, frankie is away (BTW frankie, have fun!), I think others may be available. In the next few weeks I'll be finishing up my uni work (that reminds me, I should update my member's thread) so I'm not sure how much time and energy I'll have available for reading. However after that I should have more time. I don't know on which time basis would people like to have another one? I mean, ie. in a month, a few weeks, in two months.. We can plan it better if we know what everyone would prefer.

If people want to do another one next weekend, I don't mind at all, but personally I couldn't participate as I'm traveling to Lahti and Helsinki. :) (Athena, you have a great memory :D)

I hope everything goes well with your uni work and it won't be too stressful, Athena!  :friends3:

The weekend after this weekend is when it's Midsummer, and over here it's a big thing... I'm not sure what I'm doing, but this year I'd like to actually do something and not just have a relaxing (and perhaps boring) weekend on my own here in Joensuu... I might travel to Nurmes to meet my folks. So for me, if it would be a weekend read-a-thon, the next time I might be able to join in is 28-30.6, and even that is a bit tricky, because I might be traveling to Kuopio to go to Ikea with a friend and her hubby. I'm not sure about it yet, though. And I could participate on that Sunday at least...

So I think you'd better talk this amongst yourselves and see what you come up with and I'll just see if I can tag along. (5.-7.7 might be good for me, unless I'm going to see parents, it's my Dad's Bday... 12.-14.7 is a definite no-no for me because it's the Ilosaarirock festival weekend :exc:

Edited by frankie

If we're going to make it a regular thing, maybe we could make it, for example, the first weekend of each month or something? That way it'd be easier for everyone to remember and we wouldn't have to try to tally up everyone's schedules each time. Then people will know in the future to never make any other plans on the first weekend of each month. ;) It's a safe bet that one or two people will unfortunately miss out each time due to other commitments, but I think that would always happen no matter when we did it.

If people want to do another one next weekend, I don't mind at all, but personally I couldn't participate as I'm traveling to Lahti and Helsinki. :) (Athena, you have a great memory :D)

I hope everything goes well with your uni work and it won't be too stressful, Athena!  :friends3:

Thanks, for both things :)!

If we're going to make it a regular thing, maybe we could make it, for example, the first weekend of each month or something? That way it'd be easier for everyone to remember and we wouldn't have to try to tally up everyone's schedules each time. Then people will know in the future to never make any other plans on the first weekend of each month. ;) It's a safe bet that one or two people will unfortunately miss out each time due to other commitments, but I think that would always happen no matter when we did it.

x

This sounds like a good idea!