Read-a-thon - (2013-2015)

Athena

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We're doing monthly read-a-thons, which are always on the first Fri-Sat-Sun of the month (so the next one is on Friday the 4th of December, Saturday the 5th and Sunday the 6th of December, unless the majority of the people interested would say these are bad dates for them). Aside from that we have done some themed read-a-thons too, like we had a Halloween one recently and a Christmas one last year. Maybe we'll do another Christmas one this year, but I think we'll talk about that closer to Christmas.

• 3 weeks later...

The next read-a-thon is this upcoming weekend! Is anyone joining me?

Here's my plan. I'm not sure how far I'll get, we'll see. Less children's books this time as it wasn't feasible for me to go to the library and hand in the books before they'd be due.

Fanny Blake - QuickReads: Red for Revenge

Ann M. Martin - De BabySitter's Club 25: Waar Is Tijger? (re-read)

Ann M. Martin - De BabySitter's Club 27: Jessie En De Tv-Ster (re-read)

A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 16: De Cock en het Dodelijk Akkoord

Disney - Donald Duck Dubbel Pocket 13

Terry Deary and Peter Hepplewhite - Waanzinnig om te Weten: Die Eeuwige Egyptenaren (Horrible Histories: The Awesome Egyptians) (re-read)

George R.R. Martin, Daniel Abraham and Tommy Patterson - A Song of Ice and Fire Graphic Novels 7: A Game of Thrones Boek 7

George R.R. Martin, Daniel Abraham and Tommy Patterson - A Song of Ice and Fire Graphic Novels 8: A Game of Thrones Boek 8

George R.R. Martin, Daniel Abraham and Tommy Patterson - A Song of Ice and Fire Graphic Novels 11: A Game of Thrones Boek 11

George R.R. Martin, Ben Avery and Mike S. Miller - A Song of Ice and Fire Graphic Novels De Hagenridder 2: De Hagenridder Boek 2

Susan Hatler - Treasured Dreams 4: An Unexpected Proposal

Shawn Inmon - Second Chance Love 4: Second Chance Thanksgiving

Shawn Inmon - The Unusual Second Life of Thomas Weaver: Episode One

Shawn Inmon - The Unusual Second Life of Thomas Weaver: Episode Two

Chrissie Manby - Just in Case

Chrissie Manby - The Snow Baby

Scarlett Bailey - Secret Santa

Scarlett Bailey - Santa Maybe

Martin Walker - Bruno, Chief of Police 5.5: Bruno and le Père Noel

I will be finished with Station Eleven definitely by the 4th.  For the read a thon, I plan on reading Nine and a Half Weeks, then it will be a toss up between Random Acts of Senseless Violence by Jack Womack or A Long Walk to Water by Linda See Park... about 2 kids living in Sudan.

Edited by Anna Begins

I had no idea it was Finnish independence day on Sunday. Are there any traditions for things to do? Shame you probably won't be able to join us. I hope you have fun though with your friend and Finnish independence day.

I wasn't that excited about the read-a-thon a few days ago, but now I'm all ready to read tomorrow :readingtwo::D.

I wasn't that excited about the read-a-thon a few days ago, but now I'm all ready to read tomorrow :readingtwo::D.

I am fully excited!  I hope to read some good stuff this weekend :)  On course to finish Interview with a Vampire today.

I had no idea it was Finnish independence day on Sunday. Are there any traditions for things to do? Shame you probably won't be able to join us. I hope you have fun though with your friend and Finnish independence day.

There's not much, it's a rather quiet celebration. They show The Unknown Soldier on TV and then there's the ball to watch on telly: "In the evening, the Presidential Independence Day reception is held for approximately 2000 invited guests at the Presidential Palace. This event, known informally also asLinnanjuhlat ("the Castle Ball"), is broadcast on national television and has been a perennial favorite of the viewing public. The first presidential ball was organized in 1919, and the event has been held most years since." :)  

I probably should have put some thought yesterday into what to read over the weekend. Whoops. I've read 27 pages anyway so far and finished off a book so at least I've started!

I always think about it beforehand, otherwise I'll spend too much thinking about what to read during the read-a-thon :P. I hope you find something else nice to read :)

There's not much, it's a rather quiet celebration. They show The Unknown Soldier on TV and then there's the ball to watch on telly: "In the evening, the Presidential Independence Day reception is held for approximately 2000 invited guests at the Presidential Palace. This event, known informally also asLinnanjuhlat ("the Castle Ball"), is broadcast on national television and has been a perennial favorite of the viewing public. The first presidential ball was organized in 1919, and the event has been held most years since." :)  

That's interesting :). Learned something new today!

Here is my progress for yesterday.

Friday 04-12-2015

40 mins, 91 pages, Fanny Blake - QuickReads: Red for Revenge

5 mins, 13 pages, Ann M. Martin - De BabySitter's Club 25: Waar Is Tijger? (re-read)

Total: 45 mins, 104 pages

I wasn't at all in the reading mood :thud:. It didn't help that I was feeling quite tired, too tired to read, and I was in a bad mood. I just didn't feel like reading. Gladly though so far today I feel a little bit more like reading. I haven't had a '45 mins' progress with a read-a-thon before, that's less than how long I usually read (on most days). Oh well, it can happen I guess. I hope today and tomorrow will be a bit better. I'm doubtful though that this will be a very successful read-a-thon for me. I don't like not being in the mood for reading!

Day 1 results:

27 pages (and completion) of The Enemy by Charlie Higson

82 pages (and completion) of short Mind Games sequel Dangerous Games by Teri Terry

61 pages of Slade House by David Mitchell

Total: 170 pages.

Today I am aiming to finish Slade House and start a couple of Young Adult/Childrens books. Going for a high completion number :lol:

After this read-a-thon I'm totally going to do a tally of my year of Read-A-Thonning and see how much I did, what month was best, highest scores etc (lol!)

After this read-a-thon I'm totally going to do a tally of my year of Read-A-Thonning and see how much I did, what month was best, highest scores etc (lol!)

That is such a great idea :exc:! I will do that too, if you don't mind :). I look forward to see your statistics!

On Friday 4th I read:

30 pages in Random Acts of Senseless Violence by Jack Womack

60 pages in The Vampire Lestat

total= 100

Nice :)!

Yestrday (Day 2) I read:

177 pages (and completion) of Slade House by David Mitchel.

256 pages (and completion) of Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate

Total: 603 pages

Well done, you've read a lot so far :)!

My progress for yesterday:

Saturday 05-12-2015

45 mins, 106 pages, Ann M. Martin - De BabySitter's Club 25: Waar Is Tijger? (re-read)

45 mins, 123 pages, Ann M. Martin - De BabySitter's Club 27: Jessie En De Tv-Ster (re-read)

1h 15 mins, 134 pages, A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 16: De Cock en het Dodelijk Akkoord

1h 30 mins, 510 pages, Disney - Donald Duck Dubbel Pocket 13

35 mins, 90 pages, Terry Deary and Peter Hepplewhite - Waanzinnig om te Weten: Die Eeuwige Egyptenaren (Horrible Histories: The Awesome Egyptians) (re-read)

Total: 4h 50 mins, 963 pages

In all I did a lot better yesterday than Friday. I felt more in the reading mood, and I was in a better mood generally.

I wish you both lots of fun on this last day of read-a-thon-ing of 2015!

Didn't have such a good reading day today, I only read 122 pages of The Last of the Spirits by Chris Priestley.

Read-a-Thon Totals:

Read 3 full books, finished a 4th and started a 5th.

Read 725 pages.

I'm happy enough with that!

Saturday 5th

172 pages in Random Acts of Senseless Violence

Nice :).

Didn't have such a good reading day today, I only read 122 pages of The Last of the Spirits by Chris Priestley.

Read-a-Thon Totals:

Read 3 full books, finished a 4th and started a 5th.

Read 725 pages.

I'm happy enough with that!

Awww, sorry you didn't have a great reading day yesterday. Great total though :)!

Here's my progress for Sunday:

Sunday 06-12-2015

50 mins, 70 pages, Terry Deary and Peter Hepplewhite - Waanzinnig om te Weten: Die Eeuwige Egyptenaren (Horrible Histories: The Awesome Egyptians) (re-read)

30 mins, 64 pages, George R.R. Martin, Daniel Abraham and Tommy Patterson - A Song of Ice and Fire Graphic Novels 7: A Game of Thrones Boek 7

25 mins, 64 pages, George R.R. Martin, Daniel Abraham and Tommy Patterson - A Song of Ice and Fire Graphic Novels 8: A Game of Thrones Boek 8

25 mins, 64 pages, George R.R. Martin, Daniel Abraham and Tommy Patterson - A Song of Ice and Fire Graphic Novels 11: A Game of Thrones Boek 11

15 mins, 48 pages, George R.R. Martin, Ben Avery and Mike S. Miller - A Song of Ice and Fire Graphic Novels: De Hagenridder 2: De Hagenridder Boek 2

15 mins, 23 pages, Susan Hatler - Treasured Dreams 4: An Unexpected Proposal

1h, 51 pages, Shawn Inmon - Second Chance Love 4: Second Chance Thanksgiving

30 mins, 34 pages, Shawn Inmon - The Unusual Second Life of Thomas Weaver: Episode One

Total: 4h 10 mins, 367 pages

I didn't read as much as I'd hoped, but I still read quite a bit so I'm happy with that.

Total this read-a-thon: 9h 45 mins, 1434 pages, 13 books read

Overall this wasn't the best read-a-thon for me, I wasn't in the mood to read on Friday. But I did have fun on Saturday and Sunday :).

EDIT: Well I've totaled up my read-a-thon statistics, but I don't know about cluttering this thread with it (it might seem selfish). So I will post it in my thread instead.

EDIT2: Apparently the read-a-thon in January would be on January 1st, 2nd and 3rd. I don't know if this is the best planning, to be honest. It might be better to move it to a week later. There's plenty of time to discuss it before it's 2016.