Read-a-thon - (2013-2015)

Athena

Great progress, BSchultz!

Frankie and Chesil, I hope you can do more reading today :).

Here's my progress of yesterday:

Friday 03-04-2015

1h 35 mins, 246 pages, Ann M. Martin - The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special 1: Baby-Sitters on Board! (re-read)

2h 5 mins, 186 pages, Catherine Ryan Hyde - Jumpstart the World

Total: 3h 40 mins, 432 pages

I was very tired from all the stuff I'd been doing, so I didn't read as much as I would've liked. However, I did have fun reading these two books.

This morning I read some in bed, then I haven't read any more since then. I hope to do some more reading later today.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Feeling under the weather and lack of sleep let me to absolutely zero pages read on Friday too. :(  

Awwww  :empathy:  Easter Friday is called Bright Friday or Good Friday, according to wikipedia, but over here it's called 'Long Friday'. It was a long long Friday with no reader's release :( 

Didn't manage any more reading yesterday, but hoping to fit in a bit today, although I'm all geared up for my sewing, so it'll only be when I need a break from the sewing machine.

I hope you do better today! :) 

I didn't do any reading yesterday, either :(  I hope I can get in the mood today, otherwise it will be a very lousy Sunday :( 

I hope you two will be able to do some more reading today and have fun doing so.

Here's my progress for yesterday:

Saturday 04-04-2015

1h 15 mins, 175 pages, A. C. Baantjer and Simon de Waal - De Waal & Baantjer 11: Een Kuil Voor Een Ander

1h 30 mins, 510 pages, Disney - Donald Duck Dubbel Pocket 4 (re-read)

10 mins, 104 pages, Stephen Huneck - My Dog's Brain

10 mins, 100 pages, Simon Tofield - Simon's Cat VS The World 4

15 mins, 64 pages, Carry Slee - Het Bliksemeiland (re-read)

30 mins, 96 pages, Carry Slee - Bikkels (re-read)

25 mins, 90 pages, Paul van Loon - LYC-DROP

Total: 4h 15 mins, 1139 pages

I read for a while in bed in the morning. Then I didn't read anything until the later afternoon, once I was done making Easter buns. I read a bit more in the later afternoon, but not so much. I did read a bit more in bed in the evening.

Today I've read for a while in bed in the morning, and I hope to do some more reading this afternoon. I will also be spending some time with my family.

Well, I took part, but was unsure how much I could do, so I am posting results now:

Thursday 4/2

Lois Lowry, The Giver, 15 pages

Catherine Ryan Hyde, Jumpstart the World 194 pages

Umem Akpan, Say You’re One of Them 30 pages

Total= 239

Friday 4/3

Umem Akpan, Say You’re One of Them 92 pages

Total= 92 pages

Saturday 4/4

Umen Akpan, Say You’re One of Them 103 Pages

Total= 103 pages

Total for 3 day read a thon: 434 pages

Oh, I haven't read much this weekend! Either watching 3 consecutive episodes of the BBC's 2008 Sense and Sensibility or pottering in the garden instead. :blush2: I have tried to start a chapter of too, but my mind is not connected... :giggle:

Oh, I haven't read much this weekend! Either watching 3 consecutive episodes of the BBC's 2008 Sense and Sensibility or pottering in the garden instead. :blush2: I have tried to start a chapter of too, but my mind is not connected... :giggle:

Oh dear  :empathy:   S&S is highly addictive though, so how could anyone blame you :wub: 

I got into reading again last night in bed. I read 101 pages of my current read, Scent of a Killer. I'm really enjoying it! 

I've passed this thread so many times and I've always been too unsure how it works to take part. Are people just picking random days, going on a reading spree, and then reporting their progress back here? If so, I totally need to be doing this coz I'm reading like crazy lately.

The basic premise is that the weekend of the first Friday of each month is the read-a-thon weekend from Friday to Sunday.  During that weekend, if you can take part, you set aside as much time as you have to reading, and record as much or as little information as you'd like here.  I can't always take part, but when I do, I try to record how much time I spend reading, how many pages I've read, and any books I finish.  It's just a way of having a virtual group reading session, where people are all reading at the same time, although not necessarily the same books. :)

My read-a-thon:

Wednesday: 116 pages of  The Night Guest by Fiona McFarlane. 

Thursday:  92 pages of The Night Guest (finishing the novel) and 82 pages of Scent of a Killer by Kevin Lewis.

Friday: - 

Saturday: -

Sunday: 101 pages of Scent of a Killer 

Monday: 156 pages of Scent of a Killer 

Pages read: 547 

I've passed this thread so many times and I've always been too unsure how it works to take part. Are people just picking random days, going on a reading spree, and then reporting their progress back here? If so, I totally need to be doing this coz I'm reading like crazy lately.

The basic premise is that the weekend of the first Friday of each month is the read-a-thon weekend from Friday to Sunday.  During that weekend, if you can take part, you set aside as much time as you have to reading, and record as much or as little information as you'd like here.  I can't always take part, but when I do, I try to record how much time I spend reading, how many pages I've read, and any books I finish.  It's just a way of having a virtual group reading session, where people are all reading at the same time, although not necessarily the same books. :)

Claire is right, that is how it works.

I started the read-a-thon because I found myself often getting distracted while reading. I thought it'd be a good idea if I tried to just spend a few days on reading and not getting too distracted. After the first read-a-thon, we decided to have one once a month, on the first Friday of the month until the Sunday (so Friday, Saturday and Sunday), so hopefully those who wanted to participate would be available at least one of these days. You can read whichever book or books you feel like reading. We all post about our progress during these days, in this thread and talk about how it's going for us. It's the aim to spend most of our spare time during these three read-a-thon days, reading.

These past days were an exception, in the sense that some people decided to start a day early (on Thursday), and some decided to read on Monday. I had a lot of books to get through, so I was eager to start on Thursday (and I did), and yesterday was a Bank Holiday here so it was also a good day for the read-a-thon. Usually though, the read-a-thon is on the first Friday of the month, and on the Saturday and Sunday, so three days in total.

Below some personal experiences:

I personally always read certain books / authors, and usually my reads are short or have pictures in them. I always make a read-a-thon pile beforehand, so I don't spend too long thinking about what to read next.

I mainly read shorter books during the read-a-thon because in the past I found myself mostly reading medium and long books. After every book I needed to process it. Shorter, simpler books (ie. children's books) are easier for me to process. I couldn't read a long, epic book all day long, particularly after a lot of plot twists I'd need to take a few hours off to process the story. It is much easier for me with shorter books or even re-reads of childhood favourites, they don't take as much time for me to process. I also found, because after finishing each book I wanted to write a review and needed to process it, that in the past I mainly picked medium to long books to read and I found I hardly ever got around to reading the shorter books in my collection. With the read-a-thon in place now once a month, I read shorter books during these three days, and the rest of the month I tend to read more medium length books.

My read-a-thon:

Wednesday: 116 pages of  The Night Guest by Fiona McFarlane. 

Thursday:  92 pages of The Night Guest (finishing the novel) and 82 pages of Scent of a Killer by Kevin Lewis.

Friday: - 

Saturday: -

Sunday: 101 pages of Scent of a Killer 

Monday: 156 pages of Scent of a Killer 

Pages read: 547

x

Woohoo, well done, I'm glad you had fun :)! (you did, right?)

Here is my progress of Sunday and Monday:

Sunday 05-04-2015

1h, 128 pages, Esther Verhoef - Nouveau Riche & Andere Spannende Verhalen

20 mins, 128 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 13: Kaas Op Wielen (Un Camper Color Formaggio)

20 mins, 128 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 52: De Schat van de Spookpiraat (Il Tesoro del Pirata Fantasma)

15 mins, 128 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 63: De Verloren Vampier (Un Vampiro Da Salvare!)

20 mins, 128 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Oerknagers 1: Wie Heeft de Vuursteen Gestolen? (Via Le Zampe Dalla Pietra Di Fuoco!)

20 mins, 128 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Oerknagers 4: Klaar voor de Start! (Per Mille Ossicini, Vai Col Brontosauro!)

45 mins, 224 pages, Thea Stilton - Thea Stilton 9: New York in Rep en Roer (Grosso Guaio A New York)

1h 5 mins, 384 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Fantasia 5: Fantasia V (Quinto Viaggio Nel Regno Della Fantasia)

15 mins, 96 pages, Liz Pichon - Tom Groot 4.5: Tom Groot Leest Zich Suf (Niet Dus) (Tom Gates 4.5: Best Book Day Ever!)

40 mins, 186 pages, Chris Mould - Vreselijk Vreemde Verhalen 1: De Getijdenbrug (Something Wickedly Weird 1: The Wooden Mile)

Total: 5h 20 mins, 1658 pages

I had a better reading day on Sunday, compared with the days before. It was a lot of fun to read these books and I was able to concentrate better and be less distracted by emails, social media, etc. Actually, I've been having side effects of my medication and since Saturday afternoon I've gone back to my old dosage, to see if that would lessen the side effects. I'll post more about this in another thread later, but either way I've been feeling a bit better since then.

Monday 06-04-2015

30 mins, 128 pages, Dee Shulman - Mijn Supergeheime Dagboek: Op het Toneel in Amerika (Polly Price's Totally Secret Diary: On Stage in America)

1h, 282 pages, Rachel Renée Russell - Dork Diaries 1: Tales from a Not-So-Fabulous Life

55 mins, 189 pages, Lauren Child - Klaartje Boon 6: Klaartje Boon Spelt P.R.O.B.L.E.M.E.N (Clarice Bean 6: Clarice Bean Spells Trouble)

1h, 168 pages, Sabine Zett - Hugo 2: Hugo's Masterplan (Dutch)

1h 5 mins, 167 pages, Sabine Zett - Hugo 3: Hugo Fikst Het (Hugo Hebt Ab!)

35 mins, 103 pages, Francine Oomen - Hoe Overleef Ik... 1: Hoe Overleef Ik Mijn Vakantie?

1h 10 mins, 109 pages, Francine Oomen - Ezzie 1: Ezzie's Dagboek

1h 5 mins, 111 pages, Francine Oomen - Ezzie 2: Ezzie's Wereld

Total: 7h 20 mins, 1257 pages

I had a great reading day yesterday too. I managed to finish all my library loans! Throughout the day I kind of "hit a wall" as they say in running, I was feeling very tired and I felt like I'd read a lot already so I didn't feel like it as much anymore. But, because I was so tired (we had family coming over on Sunday and Monday), I couldn't really do much else. So in the end I decided to at least try to read a couple of pages of the next book to read. I did that and decided I was enjoying it so I continued on reading. In the evening I wasn't sure about finishing off the last book (the omnibus of the two Ezzie books), because I felt like sleeping, but I decided to try anyway, and in the end I managed to finish it off and then go to bed afterwards (at my usual bed time).

Total this read-a-thon: 23h 40 mins, 4861 pages, 30 books read

In the end then, I read quite a lot, everything I wanted to read (owned books + library books), plus one extra book that I didn't plan for but that I felt like reading, on Friday morning (the extra BSC book). I've never had a five day read-a-thon before, and during some of the days I still was quite distracted at times by social media / emails / etc. Overall I think that five days is a bit too long for me, at least while I'm feeling so bad from the side effects of my medication. It was also not the most ideal weekend, with the other things that I had to do (like an appointment with my therapist, supermarket, family coming over, making Easter buns and cupcakes, having Easter brunches and dinner). But I did have a lot of fun, so that's great :). And I managed to read all the books, which I wasn't expecting.

The next read-a-thon will (in principle) take place on the 1rst, 2nd and 3rd of May, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Edited by Athena

Emoticons removed.

Great progress, I'm glad you're enjoying the book so far :). I don't own this one but I have a few other books by the same author on my TBR, so I'm interested to hear what you think of it when you've finished it.

I've just finished 'Sea Glass' and I really enjoyed it Athena.

Here is my progress over the long weekend:

Books Read- 'Sea Glass' by Anita Shreve

Thursday : 116 Pages read

Friday: 8 pages read :doh: Life got in the way this day

Saturday: 43 Pages

Sunday: 3 pages :doh:

Monday: 111 Pages

Total pages read:  281 pages

I could have definitely read a lot more this weekend, but Friday hampered my page count, as I was busy.

Woohoo, well done, I'm glad you had fun :)! (you did, right?)

Yep, it was jolly good fun :) 

Well done everyone! :) I liked it that this time we had more days to the read-a-thon, and therefore not at all surprisingly this was my most successful read-a-thon page-count-wise :D 

I've just finished 'Sea Glass' and I really enjoyed it Athena.

I'm glad to hear this :)

Yep, it was jolly good fun :) 

Well done everyone! :) I liked it that this time we had more days to the read-a-thon, and therefore not at all surprisingly this was my most successful read-a-thon page-count-wise :D

I'm glad you had fun :)!

Yes, I've never had such a high page count either :D. We could always have a longer read-a-thon again some time in the future, if there are more people who want this?

It was probably my least successful read-a-thon ever in terms of page count, but I was reading a very wordy, serious book, so I was pleased with the progress I did make anyway.

I can't always make the time for the read-a-thon anyway, but I can only do longer ones on bank holiday weekends, as I'm usually at work.

^ Yeah, it's not always about the page count, if ever :) The enjoyment is the most important thing :) 

I would agree with chesilbeach: I'd personally prefer normal, weekend-long read-a-thons, and extended ones only if there's an extra bank holiday. 

It was probably my least successful read-a-thon ever in terms of page count, but I was reading a very wordy, serious book, so I was pleased with the progress I did make anyway.

I can't always make the time for the read-a-thon anyway, but I can only do longer ones on bank holiday weekends, as I'm usually at work.

Wow- that was a weird quote format- don't think I've seen that before :lol:

Anyway, I am the queen of not having good read a thons so you are in ok company :drama:  :giggle2:

Edited: By the way- you read a book that wasn't that speedy!

Edited again, now the quote looks proper :blink:

Edited by Anna Begins

I would agree with chesilbeach: I'd personally prefer normal, weekend-long read-a-thons, and extended ones only if there's an extra bank holiday.

I agree with the both of you. Five days was a bit long for me, concentration wise. So let's stick with normal read-a-thons for now (Fri, Sat, Sun) unless there's a bank holiday weekend or something.

Athena you always blow me away with your numbers during read-a-thons  :o

Thanks, BSchultz :)! I didn't expect to get through all these books, but I did :blush2:

Anyway, I am the queen of not having good read a thons so you are in ok company :drama:  :giggle2:

The important thing is to have fun :).

Wow- that was a weird quote format- don't think I've seen that before :lol:

Edited again, now the quote looks proper :blink:

Did it come out with just the quote box, and no usernames and dates and times? It's happened to me a few times, it's just the box with the quote and nothing else, but then it somehow changes back to the normal one with all the details in the 'heading'. :shrug::D It's some sort of BCF magic! 

:lol:I knew going into it I was unlikely to read more than that one book … if I finished it at all!

Edited: By the way- you read a book that wasn't that speedy!

I know … worth it though. Even had a discussion about it with OH last night, as it's his book and he recommended the author to me, but it's been twenty five years since he read it, so I had to remind him what it was about!

• 3 weeks later...

The read-a-thon is this upcoming weekend (1rst, 2nd and 3rd of May). I've picked out a few of my own books to read, and I will be going to the library soon or in a few days to borrow some more books to read. Is anyone joining me this coming weekend?

The read-a-thon is this upcoming weekend st, 2nd and 3rd of May). I've picked out a few of my own books to read, and I will be going to the library soon or in a few days to borrow some more books to read. Is anyone joining me this coming weekend?

I will be reading... pay day is the 1st- woohoo!  I will be buying Brandon Sanderson's novella, Perfect State and also have Brave New World planned.  I believe we will be doing Jodi Picoult's short story Color War together, so if anyone wants to join in that, I believe it is only 30 pages.

I believe we will be doing Jodi Picoult's short story Color War together, so if anyone wants to join in that, I believe it is only 30 pages.

I look forward to it :)!

I will post my list when I've been to the library. I've picked out a few of my own books, that I usually read, but I might add some more to that owned books pile, it depends on how many nice books I can find at the library, if that will be needed or not.