Read-a-thon - (2013-2015)

Athena

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Going to try and join in next weekend … need to think about what to read.  Just finished a book, and contemplating going back to the Jar of Destiny.  I'd already picked Celia by E. H. Young from it before I went off on a YA tangent, so might go back to that one, but don't now if I'll finish it before Friday, so that might be my first read.

I'm happy you'll hopefully be joining in, I hope you'll have some nice fun reading time :readingtwo::)

I'm away at my mum and dad's for Easter but good luck to everyone taking part. Lots of reading and a nice big slab of chocolate .. bliss! :)

I wish you fun spending some nice time with your parents :). I love chocolate.. well who doesn't :P, I hadn't thought of it but it seems like a very nice idea to have some chocolate handy while I read, thanks for that idea, Kay :).

We have to turn our clocks back for the end of daylight saving on Easter Sunday. Does that mean I get to stuff my face with chocolate for an extra hour? :D (Probably not. I'll be at Mum's place and I'm sure she'll be trying to ration my chocolate so I don't go overboard.  :blush2:)

I wish you fun spending some nice time with your parents :). I love chocolate.. well who doesn't :P, I hadn't thought of it but it seems like a very nice idea to have some chocolate handy while I read, thanks for that idea, Kay :).

I think Kay means because it'll be Easter weekend, so everyone will have their chocolate Easter eggs to eat … are they a traditional Easter gift where you live?

We have to turn our clocks back for the end of daylight saving on Easter Sunday. Does that mean I get to stuff my face with chocolate for an extra hour? :D (Probably not. I'll be at Mum's place and I'm sure she'll be trying to ration my chocolate so I don't go overboard.  :blush2:)

Our clocks went forward this morning, so we've got an hour less today. Not ideal when I've got to get up early anyway … 6:30am is really 5:30am, and a bit of an early start for a Sunday!  At least it won't affect the read-a-thon next weekend. :D

We have to turn our clocks back for the end of daylight saving on Easter Sunday. Does that mean I get to stuff my face with chocolate for an extra hour? :D (Probably not. I'll be at Mum's place and I'm sure she'll be trying to ration my chocolate so I don't go overboard. :blush2:)

Oh wow, I had no idea Australia did it at a different time than most of Europe. The US does it at a different time too, that was a few weeks ago if I'm not mistaken. The whole notion seems rather silly and confusing. Anyway.. I hope you have a good Easter Kylie :).

I think Kay means because it'll be Easter weekend, so everyone will have their chocolate Easter eggs to eat … are they a traditional Easter gift where you live? 

Well the supermarkets do sell Easter eggs, but we don't give anyone any gifts for Easter. As far as I know, it's not a day here where one visits lots of family, it's more something celebrated between a household, ie. a couple or parents with their young children. I don't think many adults here travel to see their parents and other extended family, if that makes sense? I could be wrong, though. When I was younger, we would have a brunch on Easter, with special bread and things, an egg and a chocolate. But it wasn't like every child was given a ton of chocolate or anything. I think if I want some chocolate, I'll have to go and get it myself or ask someone for it :P.

I would ask you how you celebrate Easter, but that might be too much off-topic. I will however say that I hope you have a nice Easter weekend :).

Our clocks went forward this morning, so we've got an hour less today. Not ideal when I've got to get up early anyway … 6:30am is really 5:30am, and a bit of an early start for a Sunday!  At least it won't affect the read-a-thon next weekend. :D

We have an hour less here too. I am so sorry you have to get up so early on a Sunday! I hope you can get some more rest at a later time. It always takes me a bit of time to get used to the time change.

Edited by Athena

Going to try and join in next weekend … need to think about what to read.  Just finished a book, and contemplating going back to the Jar of Destiny.  I'd already picked Celia by E. H. Young from it before I went off on a YA tangent, so might go back to that one, but don't now if I'll finish it before Friday, so that might be my first read.

I've also just been reminded that we have the next book in Middlemarch to read in the next couple of weeks, so I might try that next weekend too. :)

I think Kay means because it'll be Easter weekend, so everyone will have their chocolate Easter eggs to eat.

Everyone but Alan .. he's eaten his Claire  :D He'll have to watch me eat mine now .. I'm going to try not to share .. he didn't :D

Alan's got to work over Easter .. part of his working week :( Hence why I'm going to Mum & Dad's .. though of course it'll be lovely to see them and I haven't seen them since Christmas so well overdue. Very difficult to read there though .. Mum yaks more than I do :D 

We've never bothered with Easter Eggs - we're hot cross bun people.  Dad always used to make us toasted hot cross buns for Good Friday breakfast, and I've kept the tradition up, although now they're available from January, we start early!  On Easter weekend, OH usually tries to bake fresh ones, which taste amazing.  So hopefully, my read-a-thon weekend will started with those for breakfast to accompany my first reading session of the day. :smile2:  :coffee1:

I've never seen a hot cross bun before in the Netherlands, but I hope you really enjoy all your treats this weekend, Claire and Kay :).

I'll be baking Easter buns. Possibly I might bake cupcakes as well, but I'm not sure yet (there's a lot to do already). We'll have a brunch with a boiled egg (from our own chicken), the Easter buns and 'stol' (I don't like this) (and a chocolate for dessert).

We've never bothered with Easter Eggs - we're hot cross bun people.  Dad always used to make us toasted hot cross buns for Good Friday breakfast, and I've kept the tradition up, although now they're available from January, we start early!  On Easter weekend, OH usually tries to bake fresh ones, which taste amazing.  So hopefully, my read-a-thon weekend will started with those for breakfast to accompany my first reading session of the day. :smile2:  :coffee1:

That sounds wonderful Claire .. I keep meaning to make my own hot cross buns but I'll be making a chocolate cake for Easter and that's probably stress enough for me  :blush2: Home baked hot cross buns or indeed any hot cross buns will definitely set you up for a good readathon :) I do like traditions .. especially food ones  :smile: 

I've never seen a hot cross bun before in the Netherlands, but I hope you really enjoy all your treats this weekend, Claire and Kay :).

I'll be baking Easter buns. Possibly I might bake cupcakes as well, but I'm not sure yet (there's a lot to do already). We'll have a brunch with a boiled egg (from our own chicken), the Easter buns and 'stol' (I don't like this) (and a chocolate for dessert).

What are the Easter buns like Gaia? Perhaps they're similar to hot cross buns? Hope you have a lovely Easter and enjoy the readathon :)

What are the Easter buns like Gaia? Perhaps they're similar to hot cross buns? Hope you have a lovely Easter and enjoy the readathon :)

I don't know if it's a thing in the Netherlands, it's just something my family always used to do, is make these 'Easter buns'. I always try to make several different shapes, my favourite is making a 'vlecht', like a braid? I've never eaten a hot cross bun (I want to now!), but our Easter bread doesn't have spices or herbs in it. Thanks, I hope you have a lovely Easter too :)!

That sounds wonderful Claire .. I keep meaning to make my own hot cross buns but I'll be making a chocolate cake for Easter and that's probably stress enough for me  :blush2: Home baked hot cross buns or indeed any hot cross buns will definitely set you up for a good readathon :) I do like traditions .. especially food ones  :smile: 

The home made ones have some apple in as well as the dried fruits and it just adds the extra bit of special to the flavour. The only problem is that the weather is so cold, it's difficult to get the dough to rise in the proving. :irked: We've actually resorted to putting the heating on in the past, but it seems ridiculous to put the heating on during the day just to prove some dough! :lol:

If the next read-a-thon starts tomorrow, I'm in!! I've got quite a lot of books, so I'm looking forward to having some time to actually sit down and read them!

The 3rd, 4th and 5th :) Have fun with the reading!

Great! As I've got tomorrow off too, I may just start the read-a-thon early!

Snap! I'm hoping to start tomorrow as well :)

I think I might start tomorrow too as I've no other engagements and I got tons of books from the library! :smile2:

Edited by frankie

I planned to start today too, seeing as I've almost finished the 'purple omnibus book' (one book left in it, that is 121 pages) and I have a lot of other library loans (and some owned books) to get to. So, happy reading, everyone :readingtwo::D!! Feel free to post about your progress and experiences here, if you want to.

I started yesterday :giggle2: I read 116 pages of The Night Guest by Fiona McFarlane.

In that case :giggle2:, I hope you had fun reading yesterday and wish you more fun in the next few days :). The Night Guest sounds interesting according to the synopsis I looked up, I hope you enjoy the whole book.

The statistician is coming out in me today … I read for 52 minutes this morning which equates to 44 pages of Celia.  It's 404 pages long, so I think this could take me the weekend to read, but it's definitely not a book to skim, so I shall savour the pages as they go by, as it's wonderful so far.