Read-a-thon - (2013-2015)

Athena

Funnily enough, the book I was in the middle of reading meets nearly all of your criteria, Janet and Frankie. A Christmas Carol is by a familiar and comforting author, it's an old favourite and it has pictures (it's the Quentin Blake illustrated edition). But I just can't seem to even pick it up. :( Maybe I just need to force myself to pick it up, and then maybe I'll get into it.

I do have some shelving to do, Frankie. Maybe I should do that...if I can drag myself off my lounge. ;)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Funnily enough, the book I was in the middle of reading meets nearly all of your criteria, Janet and Frankie. A Christmas Carol is by a familiar and comforting author, it's an old favourite and it has pictures (it's the Quentin Blake illustrated edition). But I just can't seem to even pick it up. :( Maybe I just need to force myself to pick it up, and then maybe I'll get into it.

Maybe, but then just maybe that one isn't doing it for you at the moment. It is a pretty sad story, maybe you need something lighter.

I do have some shelving to do, Frankie. Maybe I should do that...if I can drag myself off my lounge. ;)

I won't complain if you won't manage that. It will only mean you'll be around on here more and we can wreak havoc  :devcat:

For once I have absolutely nothing on my plate for the read-a-thon weekend, but I'm feeling rather depressed and just can't focus on reading. :( Hopefully I'll get some reading done in the next couple of days.

I'm very much a mood reader, so sometimes it will be all I can do to get through a chapter. What about a short story; somehow it seems more doable, you know? Other times, I'll catch up on a favorite blog or reading reviews on here. It really is an inconvenient weekend to not be in a reading frame of mind, isn't it? Sometimes it can't be helped, though. Here's to hoping that it passes and you're back to your bookish self soon!

So I was reading a book late into the night, and it crossed over into midnight, which is technically today and part of the read-a-thon, right? So that bit past midnight plus a half-hour or so this morn amounts to about 140 pages of The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. A better start than I've had at a read-a-thon in awhile! Let's see if I can keep it up. Off to do some shopping, then back to reading when I return.

For once I have absolutely nothing on my plate for the read-a-thon weekend, but I'm feeling rather depressed and just can't focus on reading. :( Hopefully I'll get some reading done in the next couple of days.

Awww :( I hope you feel better soon Kylie :friends0:

So I was reading a book late into the night, and it crossed over into midnight, which is technically today and part of the read-a-thon, right? So that bit past midnight plus a half-hour or so this morn amounts to about 140 pages of The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. A better start than I've had at a read-a-thon in awhile! Let's see if I can keep it up. Off to do some shopping, then back to reading when I return.

I'm glad you're having fun :)!

Here's my progress for yesterday:

Friday 02-01-2015

1h, 39 pages, George Mikes and Karen Holmes - How to Be an Alien

1h, 220 pages, Chris Riddell - Goth Girl 1: Goth Girl and the Ghost of a Mouse

1h 10 mins, 98 pages, Jeffrey Archer - Four Warned

Total: 3h 10 mins, 357 pages

I didn't read as much as I would've liked yesterday, but I did manage to read the two books that were due at the library today (the first two listed), so I'm happy with that. I hope I can do some more reading today and tomorrow, though it's already pretty late today and I haven't done much reading yet.

I read about 50 pages (the last 50 pages) of My First Murder by Leena Lehtolainen. I can't even remember when that was, last night or today. It's the flu, making me forget :o 

I've started reading Perfect by Rachel Joyce but I don't know if it's sticking... Fell asleep after 20 or so pages. 

Here's my Friday progress:

140 pages - The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley

164 pages - The Remarkable Courtship of General Tom Thumb by Nicholas Rinaldi

27 pages - The Curious Case of the Copper Corpse by Alan Bradley

Some (no page count) - Every Day is a Holiday by George Mahood

So a little over 330? I think I just lucked into a stack of books I'm enjoying along with the mood and time to read. What an elusive combination!

Edited by dtrpath27

On Friday I read all of Water for Elephants which was 327 pages

Then I read about 30 pages of The Giver before going to sleep. 

So a total of around 350 pages for Friday 

Today I'm reading The Giver and I anticipate that I'll finish it and get well into another book before the night is over.  :D

Maybe, but then just maybe that one isn't doing it for you at the moment. It is a pretty sad story, maybe you need something lighter.

I won't complain if you won't manage that. It will only mean you'll be around on here more and we can wreak havoc  :devcat:

Yeah, but it ends on a really happy note. :) I ended up getting into it and reading the rest of it in one go yesterday. :)

Mwahaha. Always up for wreaking havoc! :D

I'm very much a mood reader, so sometimes it will be all I can do to get through a chapter. What about a short story; somehow it seems more doable, you know? Other times, I'll catch up on a favorite blog or reading reviews on here. It really is an inconvenient weekend to not be in a reading frame of mind, isn't it? Sometimes it can't be helped, though. Here's to hoping that it passes and you're back to your bookish self soon!

Yes, it's terribly inconvenient! Thanks mate. I'm slowly getting back into it. :)

Looks like everyone is having a good read-a-thon. Great stuff!

Yeah, but it ends on a really happy note. :) I ended up getting into it and reading the rest of it in one go yesterday. :)

I'm glad you persevered and already managed to finish it! :smile2:

Mwahaha. Always up for wreaking havoc! :D

Wohoo! :exc: Wanna be startin' something' You gotta be startin' somethin'....  :devcat:    Um... Hm... You're it!  :out:

Everyone's been reading like a maniac, well done! :D I read about 150 pages of She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb in bed last night. I hope to get a huge chunk read today as well. 

Note: some emoticons are removed.

Here's my Friday progress:

140 pages - The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley

164 pages - The Remarkable Courtship of General Tom Thumb by Nicholas Rinaldi

Some (no page count) - Every Day is a Holiday by George Mahood

So a little over 330? I think I just lucked into a stack of books I'm enjoying along with the mood and time to read. What an elusive combination!

Great progress, I'm glad you're enjoying your books :)

On Friday I read all of Water for Elephants which was 327 pages

Then I read about 30 pages of The Giver before going to sleep. 

So a total of around 350 pages for Friday 

Today I'm reading The Giver and I anticipate that I'll finish it and get well into another book before the night is over.

I'm glad you're enjoying your books, you've read a lot :)!

Yeah, but it ends on a really happy note. I ended up getting into it and reading the rest of it in one go yesterday.

I'm glad you're feeling a bit better :).

Everyone's been reading like a maniac, well done! I read about 150 pages of She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb in bed last night. I hope to get a huge chunk read today as well.

Well done, I hope you can do some more reading today :)!

Here's my progress for yesterday:

Saturday 03-01-2015

1h 5 mins, 133 pages, Ann M. Martin - The BabySitter's Club 24: Kristy and the Mother's Day Surprise (re-read)

20 mins, 163 pages, Nagaru Tanigawa and Noizi Ito - The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-Chan 6: Volume 6

1h 15 mins, 172 pages, A. C. Baantjer and Simon de Waal - De Waal & Baantjer 8: Een Wolf in Schaapskleren

20 mins, 36 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Fantasia 2: Fantasia II: De Speurtocht naar Geluk (Alla Ricerca Della Felicità)

Total: 3h, 504 pages

Overall I didn't spend that long reading, as I would've hoped, but I did have a lot of fun :)!

This morning early I read quite a bit too, but since then I haven't read any more. I hope to do some more reading this afternoon :).

Yesterday I had work to do and errands to run, but I still managed to squeeze in 204 pages of The Remarkable Courtship of General Tom Thumb, finishing it off at the last minute. I also did a read-aloud to some youngsters and went through a stack of six or seven books to them.

Speaking of managing to squeeze in -- I did manage to squeeze in a trip to a wonderful little bookstore in the city where I picked up a hardback of the next book in Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce mystery series for only $5.50 and a copy of Carlos Ruiz Zafón's The Shadow of the Wind for only $3.00. It's been on my list for ages!

I just realized that I slept until one in the afternoon, but I don't have work today so I think I'll just roll back over and read one of my new books. :)

Speaking of managing to squeeze in -- I did manage to squeeze in a trip to a wonderful little bookstore in the city where I picked up a hardback of the next book in Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce mystery series for only $5.50 and a copy of Carlos Ruiz Zafón's The Shadow of the Wind for only $3.00. It's been on my list for ages!

The Shadow of the Wind is one of my all time favorite novels :wub: I really hope you will enjoy it!!  :readingtwo:

The Shadow of the Wind is one of my all time favorite novels :wub: I really hope you will enjoy it!!  :readingtwo:

Thanks! Me, too. I'm knee-deep in the Flavia de Luce mystery right now, but will start the Zafón book as soon as I'm finished. The Shadow of the Wind is also on my defunct "Oh, the Places I'd Go!" challenge; maybe this is what I need to kick-start it again.

Just under the wire, I finished the second book in the Flavia de Luce series. Here is my count for the read-a-thon:

3 novels

1 short story

6 or 7 children's storybooks

140 pages The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley

368 pages - The Remarkable Courtship of General Tom Thumb by Nicholas Rinaldi

358 pages - The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley

873 pages total plus a bit from an e-book and all those children's books. I'm probably around 900 altogether. Not bad!

I had a lot of fun with this read-a-thon. :) I was on a bit of an Alan Bradley kick; I do enjoy reading new authors!

Here's how I got on during the first read-a-thon of 2015:

'It' by Stephen King

Friday: 7%

Saturday: 8%

Sunday: 7%

Total: 22%

I'm not sure how much this translates to in actual pages read, but seeing as 'It' is a very long book, I don't think I did too bad! I'm continuing the read-a-thon for another two days, so that I can get this book finished.

Just under the wire, I finished the second book in the Flavia de Luce series. Here is my count for the read-a-thon:

3 novels

1 short story

6 or 7 children's storybooks

140 pages The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley

368 pages - The Remarkable Courtship of General Tom Thumb by Nicholas Rinaldi

358 pages - The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley

873 pages total plus a bit from an e-book and all those children's books. I'm probably around 900 altogether. Not bad!

I had a lot of fun with this read-a-thon. :) I was on a bit of an Alan Bradley kick; I do enjoy reading new authors!

I'm so glad you had a lot of fun :). You read a lot of books!

Here's how I got on during the first read-a-thon of 2015:

'It' by Stephen King

Friday: 7%

Saturday: 8%

Sunday: 7%

Total: 22%

I'm not sure how much this translates to in actual pages read, but seeing as 'It' is a very long book, I don't think I did too bad! I'm continuing the read-a-thon for another two days, so that I can get this book finished.

My copy of IT has 1376 pages, so 22% would be over 300 pages. That's pretty good for such a big epic book, well done :)!

Here's my progress of yesterday:

Sunday 04-01-2015

50 mins, 351 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Fantasia 2: Fantasia II: De Speurtocht naar Geluk (Alla Ricerca Della Felicità)

40 mins, 143 pages, Veronica Hazelhoff and Joep Bertrams - Maartje 2: Hierzo! (re-read)

50 mins, 146 pages, Veronica Hazelhoff and Joep Bertrams - Maartje 3: Auww! (re-read)

40 mins, 510 pages, Disney - Donald Duck Dubbel Pocket 1 (re-read)

40 mins, 50 pages, Lucy Hawking and Stephen Hawking - George's Secret Key to the Universe

Total: 3h 40 mins, 1200 pages

I read quite a bit in the early morning but then spend some time with family and doing other necessary things. I read some more in the later afternoon. Unfortunately after dinner I was so tired that I couldn't do any more reading but had to lie down and go to sleep. I didn't read as much this day as I would've liked but I had lots of fun reading these books.

Total this read-a-thon: 9h 50 mins, 2061 pages, 10 books read (and 1 started but not finished)

Overall then I had a lot of fun this read-a-thon. Unfortunately I didn't read all the books I wanted to read, nor did I read as long as I wanted to. I also didn't manage to get away from distractions entirely, I was often distracted by emails, social media, the forum, etc. But overall I still had fun :).

The next read-a-thon will, in principle, take place Fri-Sat-Sun 6th, 7th and 8th of February. There is a book fair on those days but I haven't yet decided if I want to go there (I mean, I need to spend less money on uncessary things so I don't know if I should go or not), and if so, when. I should be able to read at least some of the time on those days though.

Thanks! Me, too. I'm knee-deep in the Flavia de Luce mystery right now, but will start the Zafón book as soon as I'm finished. The Shadow of the Wind is also on my defunct "Oh, the Places I'd Go!" challenge; maybe this is what I need to kick-start it again.

Oh you're going to read it next? Oh goody! :exc: I'll try and keep calm and not ask you how it's going all day every day :D 

All of you guys have done a lot of reading! :smile2: Well done! I'm kinda sad the read-a-thon's over, because I've been spending the weekend mostly on the forum and not with my book :( 

I read about 160 pages of She's Come Undone in bed last night. All in all I read 326 pages of SCU and maybe 50 pages of another book. 

I was thinking maybe I could do a personal read-a-thon today and tomorrow. :giggle2: Tomorrow's a bank holiday, so it would be a good day to spend with a book. 

I ended up doing that myself, sort of unplanned- December 16-18th :giggle2: I read like, 350 pages in one day and 3 books in 3 days!  It was great.

Well, for me, I don't think I can say I even took part.  I think a combination of post holiday depression, too many things to do and a lack of motivation killed it for me.  But this is the first one I've missed in a year, so I guess I am ok :smile:

Well, for me, I don't think I can say I even took part.  I think a combination of post holiday depression, too many things to do and a lack of motivation killed it for me.  But this is the first one I've missed in a year, so I guess I am ok :smile:

I hope you'll have more fun next time :)!

• 3 weeks later...