Read-a-thon - (2013-2015)

Athena

I EDIT: Frankie, if you are on your own, maybe pre-peparing (a) certain meal(s) of the day might be a good idea. That way you could just take it out of the cupboard/fridge/freezer and eat it. I recommend keeping some water near you or another drink, while you read, and maybe something to eat. I have a sink close by where I plan on reading so it's not a big problem to get up and drink water.

I've started this eating regime this week to lose a bit of weight so now I can't go buying any frozen pizzas which I could just pop in the oven :D But I've realised I can easily read next to the stove when I'm boiling potatoes and veggies and frying fish on the pan or whatever. It's easy enough!

I'm not sure how to incorporate the exercise to the reading... I'm seriously considering going for a walk in the woods nearby, while reading a book :D The good thing is, even if people will give me some weird looks, I won't notice cause I'm reading my book :giggle:

Where do you plan on reading? I normally read behind the computer quite a bit, but for the read-a-thon I plan to read on my sofa since then the computer won't distract me and it's more comfortable. If the weather is good I might read outside for a while but today we may actually reach a cold-record so not sure if it'll be good weather in two weeks.

I've been thinking about the computer being a big distraction, but lately I've out right turned the computer off when reading so now it wouldn't be a big problem. However, if the weather's as nice and summery as it's now, I think I'm going to read in the nearby park. :) I wish the weather improves for you, two, and you could read outside!!

I'm just going to wing it and see what I feel like when the time comes!

I think I'm going to wing it, too, in the end. I'll pick out a few books to go with if I have no clue what to read, but in the end I'm going to go with the book that suits my mood at the time.

When the time comes, please, feel free to post progress here, how things are going. Long reviews should go into your own review thread (if you have one) (personally I plan on jotting down thoughts after each book but not posting them until the read-a-thon is over), some progress may also be posted in the Your Book Activity thread. Any progress not including reading, such as where you're located, how you can concentrate, maybe what you're doing food wise, etc. should probably go in this topic and not in the Your Book Activity thread.

Sounds good! :)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I *might* be able to participate on Friday as my plans for the week have changed now.  However it is half-term here so it rather depends on what my daughter is doing whether a) she wants me to do something with her and b) if she doesn't, whether she's here with friends, or out!

I *might* be able to participate on Friday as my plans for the week have changed now.  However it is half-term here so it rather depends on what my daughter is doing whether a) she wants me to do something with her and b) if she doesn't, whether she's here with friends, or out!

It would be wonderful if you could join! :) Maybe your daughter would love to do a read-a-thon with you? :giggle2:

The posting guidelines sound good to me. I'm probably going to pop in here now and again to post little progress reports, statistics, and general comments on how I think the books are going so far. I'll probably do mini-reviews at the end of one if I finish it, and any longer reviews I'll keep to my reading thread.

I finished one of my current reads last night, so just Crime and Punishment to finish in the next couple of days and I'm ready to go. I'll also probably only start reading midnight Thursday too, just to keep everything neat and in the three day period..

Thank you! :)

I don't know if you knew, or if its been mentioned (sorry if it has), but here in Australia there is a famous read-a-thon called the MS Read-a-thon. Its meant to encourage kids to read while raising money for a good cause. You could get a one off donation or sponsored a certain amount per book read by friends and family, and it runs for a month. Ironically I used to participate in it for a few years. They have recently encouraged adults to join it too.

Getting a bit excited about tomorrow and the read-a-thon.... I've just been reading the reading log of Books do furnish a room, and I started to wonder if I should try the first book of In Search of Lost Time... I'm tempted!

I like just thinking about what to read, but I know that come tomorrow, I'll have a whole new set of ideas about which books to read... :D

I'm starting it four and a half hours precisely. I don't have a clue what I'm starting though.. *does excited dance*

Edited by Ben

It's exciting :D!! I'm not sure how much reading I'll do tomorrow, it depends how tired I'll feel from my work from the week. I hope to do a bit of reading at least. Saturday and Sunday I plan to read a lot.

I look forward to see what you all read and how you get on with the process :).

Athena, it's okay if you don't get a lot of reading done on Friday since you seem to be planning on doing read-a-thon on Saturday and Sunday as well :yes: I hope you're not feeling too exhausted tomorrow, though! :friends3:

I'm thinking I would love to record the hours that I actually spend on reading. (And how much time was spent on reading this thread, too... maybe :giggle2:) For some reason I don't think I will get a lot of books read, because I'm afraid of being too keen on checking out everyone else's progress on here... But I shall try! :readingtwo: :readingtwo: :readingtwo:

I'm going to start tomorrow as I'm on 167/493 of Target, I'll probably put it down. I will be reading the Rebus Shorts - A Good Hanging and the Resnick Shorts - Now's The Time. Perhaps Beggars Banquet, It says it contains seven Rebus Shorts. :smile:

:D Are you considering doing an all-nighter?

Not precisely.. I mean, I don't sleep much nowadays anyway (insomnia is worse than it's ever been). I'll be watching basketball at about 1:30am for three or so hours, which means I'll be up the majority of the 'early hours' as it were. With the amount of breaks in that sport I'll be dipping in and out of my book as I go, so should get quite a bit of reading done. Then up at a decent time tomorrow and away I go..

I'm sorry to come late to the party .. I'm so slow at finding things .. I don't know why I have eyes sometimes :D Is it ok if I join you? .. I'd really like to and I've lots of time to fill this weekend as hubby is working long shifts. Is it the aim to read as many different books as poss or one book or do you just go with the flow?

The idea is to just read whatever/however much you can over the three days. It doesn't have to be more than one, but it can be.. depends how much time you have to get through them (I can't see myself managing more than one because I'll be drawn to this thread too often *laughs*). It's good to have you on board, poppyshake. :smile2:

That's why I've chosen my books of short stories, Hopefully I can read them. I also have monday and tuesday off, but I'll probably go out.

Ewww, Ben - creepy pic! :lurker:

I'm not sure how much I'll get done today. I woke at 4am with a random cough which won't go away (I hope it's not so bad this evening as I'm off to the theatre :( ) and I think I might go back to bed once Peter has gone to work (I got up at 4.30am so as not to disturb him, but haven't picked up a book yet I'm really tired so I can't concentrate!). He's out tomorrow so I might get some more done then but I'm not aiming to do all three days straight. :)

I'm half way through Roy Hattersley's memoir A Yorkshire Boyhood - I'm aiming to finish that if I can and then I'll see what grabs me from my shelves!

I'll participate! I can't guarantee I will get through a book, but will try!

I can't take part in this time around as my weekend is so busy but I will definitely be interested if it happens again. It's a great idea and I like Frankie's plan of seeing how many hours in total she reads over the course of it.