Eurovision!

Kell

Will anyone else be watching the Eurovision Song Contest Final this evening?

My hubby and I never miss it - I actually put in our diary at work that I want that night off to make sure I don't have to go to work when it's on. :)

The bookies and fan groups all think Denmark will win (and I'm inclined to agree, even though I don't think it really deserves it - I think it's a forgone conclusion), but my each-way money is on Georgia - I'm pretty certain they'll finish in the top few.

I think Bonnie Tyler will finish on the right-hand side of the board, but perhaps nearer the top of that side than the bottom, sue to her huge European following. The UK doesn't really stand a chance of winning with the song we have, and until we get someone with their finger on the pulse of European music to write a killer song for a current A-list supporter, the rest of Europe won't take our entries seriously...

Anyone else got any favourites and / or predictions?

I read that Denmark or Norway were expected to win, personally I hope someone a bit wacky wins :) I've just about given up on the UK, there's so much amazing British music around so it's a shame we always have to revert to artists who are already known and not very 'current'.

I can't wait for Eurovision though, I always go to my friend's house for a party when it's on. Have fun watching tonight Kell!

I hope you didn't vote for Bonnie - she gave one of the worst performances of the evening. :(

Denmark was the bookies' and fans' favourite from early on when the songs were first announced and I think it was pretty much a forgone conclusion - they did a LOT of promotion on the song and it charted well all over Europe (as did last year's winner).

Norway, Ukraine and Azerbaijan all put in brilliant performances, but I'm disappointed Georgia didn't get more points - it was a cracking song and a great performance. I feel sad for Ireland scoring so low - they didn't deserve that - it was a better song and performance than the UK's entry for sure!

I didn't watch the whole show, too many song and much work for me to do. I'm listening to all the songs on you tube.. but not all the performances. So Bonnie Tyler wasn't good, was she? I wanted to vote her for the name..  but I couldn't wait the end of the show.

Bonnie Tyler sounded like she'd just smoked 60 cigs at once immediately before going on stage. She's lost all the power of her voice for which she was so famed and it really showed. :(

What did you guys think of "our" broadcast from Sweden? :) We were making so much fun of ourselves. 

I was kind of rooting for Ukraine, but also for the Netherlands and Georgia. Greece was kind of catchy. I would have liked Malta if the singer didn't have that over the top grin on his face the whole song through. Denmark and Norway were ok too, but for some reason I never root for Sweden's neighbour countries. I am weird that way. 

• 1 year later...

And so we should be in it! :P We shouldn't be discriminated against just because we're not European. :P I suggested on FB that it should be renamed to EurOzvision. :D

Frankie: ha! I wonder what would happen if we did indeed win? Probably not worth thinking about. Any points we win would be purely because of the novelty aspect of being part of it. I wonder if we'll be allowed to vote? (It probably mentions it in the article...haven't read it yet.)

And so we should be in it! :P We shouldn't be discriminated against just because we're not European. :P I suggested on FB that it should be renamed to EurOzvision. :D

:lol: :lol: Yeah why should we get caught up in such silly things as the name of the competition and the traditions :D What are we Europeans alone, without our friends in the many different wonderful continents of the wonderful world?!

I say call it WorldVision!

Frankie: ha! I wonder what would happen if we did indeed win? Probably not worth thinking about. Any points we win would be purely because of the novelty aspect of being part of it. I wonder if we'll be allowed to vote? (It probably mentions it in the article...haven't read it yet.)

If you enter, of course you should be able to vote. You should know, though, that you can't vote for your own country :P I promise, if I watched the show and actually gave a damn, and voted on top of that, I'd vote for Australia, wohoo!!

Edit: Actually, if I did give a damn, I would vote for the country with the best singer(s) and best performance :drama:

Edit: No offence to anyone who is a fan of Eurovision! :)

Edited by frankie

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIZzMRISzHM

This is the song and band that will be representing Finland and competing in the Eurovision song contest this year. I'm not a fan of punk myself, but I can relate to the lyrics :D (It's about what other people are telling one what to do, all the time. Like clean the apartment, eat properly, not go online, not drink alcohol etc etc)

From what I've heard, Australia can vote in BOTH the semi finals, which is pretty awesome! I'm guessing they'll also be allowed to vote (and be voted for!) in the final too. I, for one, would LOVE it if Australia won and then they hosted and stayed in the competition for years to come. If Israel can take part, then why not Australia? And perhaps it would pave the way for other countries to join in too - New Zealand next, maybe?

Saw the video of the UK entry at the weekend - haven't seen many positive views about it.  I think it's trying to be in the same style as someone like Caro Emerald (who I think is popular in a good few European countries) but for me, it falls short of the mark.

Anyone else seen/heard it?

Is it Still in Love With You by Electro Velvet? I checked out the music video and in all honesty, I wasn't too impressed. I like the idea of the 1920s thing, but I wasn't feeling the song, and ... I think the singers have very mediocre voices, the man in particular   :blush: I don't mean to put the UK down, but it's a land of talent so you could do a million miles better! 

Edited by frankie

• 1 month later...

I'm not impressed with ANY of the entries this year. I heard ours before most of the others and didn't like it much at all, but on hearing al the others that are out now, I have to say, I think ours, bad as it is, is one of the better ones. At least it's catchy, and so many of the others are just dirges. For the first year since they started, I won't be bothering with the semi-finals, and I will only be watching the final out of a sense of tradition, as I've only missed one since 1987 (and it was the one Dana International won - I was doing a show that week and missed the whole thing).

Quite a lot, actually. We have three or four favourites from at least each year Dale and I have been together (15 years now) on our iPod and computer play lists. Some years there are only maybe two or three that make the play list, but there have been a couple of good years, where we might have seven or eight from one competition on the list. :)

We have very eclectic tastes.

A few examples of some of our favourites (and not just winners, either!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6Xl9tBWt54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFciOb0diQE

And those were just the first few I thought of off the top of my head. Of course, we have the recorded versions from the official Eurovision albums. Yes, we get hold of the albums - we're big fans. To be honest, if the UK ever won it again now, I'd be trying to get hold of tickets for the final, and if I couldn't get for that, I'd be trying for one of the semi finals! Even Xan knows the words to several foreign language songs and sings along with them. And both the kids dance whenever they hear them.

Only the first couple of vids are embedded, but it you follow the links, you'll see the others too.