Just Saying Hi...

bookworm87

Hi everyone,

I have only just joined up after a while spent looking through some of the discussions on here.

My name's Lauren and I'm 25 - hi!

I have been looking to join a forum for a while now, as I don't really have any fellow readers among family and friends and it gets a bit frustrating when you want to rave about a book and you get blank faces in return :smile:

I am pretty open minded about what I read - I try to read a Classic every couple of months, but that's my only 'Reading Rule'. I love Austen, the Brontes, George Eliot and (sometimes) Dickens.

Some of my favourite modern authors are Sarah Waters, Margaret Atwood, Philippa Gregory, George RR Martin and Hilary Mantel.

I'm hoping to make some new friends and get some recommendations for any good reads, so hopefully I'll get chatting to you all soon.

Hi Lauren, I hope you don't think me arrogant when I say this but you've come to the right place :smile2: This forum is really great, we talk about all kinds of books (and we go off-topic, too, in the general chat and members threads etc.), and the people we have here are just swell!

I have a feeling you might like to take a look at the reading circles we do every month: we read a book and then have a whole month to discuss it. And the topics/themes that are picked are quite various. You can find the threads on here, if you like :)

And then there's of course the classics section, which I'm sure you've already noticed.

I hope you enjoy it here! :)

Hi Lauren and welcome!!

I know what you mean about getting blank faces when talking about books. :thud:

I'm a fan of Margaret Atwood too, especially Alias Grace and The Blind Assassin. She's a great author. :smile:

Hi Lauren yep you probably belong here. Welcome and don't be afraid to just jump into any conversation and if you read something great let us know!  

Have you read any Linda Gillard?

Edited by vodkafan

Thanks for the welcome everyone - I'm really excited to get involved and you all seem a lovely bunch of fellow bookworms :readingtwo: I really appreciate you taking the time to say hi, so thank you x

Hi Lauren and welcome!!

I know what you mean about getting blank faces when talking about books. :thud:

I'm a fan of Margaret Atwood too, especially Alias Grace and The Blind Assassin. She's a great author. :smile:

Hi Bobblybear, thank you for the welcome - those are my two favourite Atwood books, especially The Blind Assasin. I've read that three times and always get something different out of it :D

Hi Lauren yep you probably belong here. Welcome and don't be afraid to just jump into any conversation and if you read something great let us know!  

Have you read any Linda Gillard?

Hi vodkafan, no I haven't read any Linda Gillard, but I will be having a look at her work after the recommendation. I feel as if I belong here too and I will certainly be letting you all know about any good reads. Can you start a Reading Blog if you're half way through the year? Probably a bit of a silly question but thought I'd ask!!

You can start a reading blog any time you like - they don't even have to be annual ones, some people just start a single blog and keep it going indefinitely. :)

I've only read a couple of Margaret Atwood's but the one I liked most was Lady Oracle. The other was a collection of short stories called Moral Disorder which I had mixed feelings about. I keep meaning to read more - would you say The Blind Assassin a good starting point?

You can start a reading blog any time you like - they don't even have to be annual ones, some people just start a single blog and keep it going indefinitely. :)

I've only read a couple of Margaret Atwood's but the one I liked most was Lady Oracle. The other was a collection of short stories called Moral Disorder which I had mixed feelings about. I keep meaning to read more - would you say The Blind Assassin a good starting point?

Hi chesilbeach, yes I would definitely recommend The Blind Assasin. It's beautifully written and the story is compelling as well. Alias Grace is also brilliant and is good for fans of historical fiction as it's set in 19th century Canada. Lady Oracle and Moral Disorder are ironically ones I haven't read! :doh:

Welcome here :)!

I love Jane Eyre but I haven't read a lot of other classics yet (unless it was Dutch literature, for school, and a few English ones). I do own quite a few of them, but somehow I'm worried that they'll be too complicated for me, so I often put it off and read something easier instead. I do look forward to finally read a Jane Austen book as well as War and Peace and other classics. I think I'll start with a short one, ie. maybe Charles Dickens - Oliver Twist.

I may read Game of Thrones soon, glad to hear you like it :).

Hi Athena,

I absolutely loved the Game of Thrones books and devoured them all one after the other, which I wish I hadn't done because now I have to wait for George RR Martin to write another one :doh:

I thought exactly the same about War and Peace when I read it, but I wa ssuprised to find that I really enjoyed it. I much preferred it to Anna Karenina, so I would definitely recommend it. Because it's so big, I tried to split it into sections and have a break in between them to make it more manageable.

I think you will enjoy Jane Austen - Persuasion is one of my absolute favourites and always brings a tear to my eye at the end!

Yeah that makes sense, I'm planning to take my time with them so hopefully by the time I get to the end, there'll be another one available etc.

Breaking it up in sections sounds like a good idea! I might have to do that.

Glad to hear you liked both War and Peace and Persuasion. I'll have to get around reading them, sometime (Persuasion is in an omnibus which is heavy so that's also why I'm dreading reading it XD even though I may be able to read it for free or for cheap on the Kindle).