Books that made you cry

Fiona

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't had time to read all the posts so it may already be here....April Fool's Day by Bryce Courtney. It tells his son's story from a childhood lived with haemophilia until his untimely death through contracting HIV from an (ironically) life-saving blood transfusion.

I couldn't read it in the train, I would have run out of tissues. A brilliantly written account though.

And Dead Man Walking...the barbarity of capital punishment.

Edited by knitnat
To add second book

• 2 weeks later...
Can't quite remember if i have actually cried whilst reading a book, although i do remember that certain parts of The Grapes Of Wrath and Birdsong left me with a lump in my throat.

Same here. I cant remember actually crying while reading a book but I can get very upset... The Kite runner, which I just finished had me with a lump in my throat all week!

Actually the books (and films) which bring me closest to tears are usually the lower quality, overdone dramas. One of them was Ou es tu? by Marc Levy: one of those books I cant put down eventhough I reason that its not so good and which carries far more emotion than I can bear :D

I`ve cried at loads of books but the ones I`ve sobbed at are

black beauty /anna sewell

plague dogs/ richard adams

lord of the rings/ tolkien

of mice and men and

grapes of wrath/ steinbeck

There`s probably more but I can`t remember,I can cry for Scotland :D

Oh and Hi to eveyone I`ve just discovered your great forum :D

• 1 month later...

I couldn't think of any until reading some of your posts... I realized there were quite a few where I was glassy-eyed, but I must have shoved the "embarrassing" memories deep down.:) No piece of media has made me weep except for something about a third-world country on the news when I was little; and The Passion of the Christ a couple of Decembers ago.

As for making me glassy-eyed in spite of myself:

- The Atonement Child by Francine Rivers ~ do look it up, ladies especially! It wasn't so much the traumatic things that the main character goes through as when she said to another, "As far as the east is from the west, so far has God removed your transgressions from you." (Psalm 103:12) Ahh, what a balm to my guilty heart!:(

- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling ~ I accidentally spoiled a huge part for myself by losing my place, but when I knew it was coming up, it felt just as shocking and sad.

It was when Sirius died;

I'm a sucker for when someone you're not sure loves you so much makes some huge sacrifice, and then you KNOW.

- Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers - uhh, I would have to read it again to see what specific spot broke my heart's walls, but I know the whole story was touching.

- The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks ~ I hope my future husband and I will have the same enduring love as a couple of the characters in the book.:)

- The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis ~ Ohh, dear Edmund! Oh, wonderful Aslan, with the power and gentleness to transform whoever lets him! I was sixteen or seventeen when I read this.

Almost all of these are romantic books:roll:. I wish I could say some gripping non-fiction book made me cry from some deep, shocking fact... but it usually comes down to a boy and a girl. Mush, mush, mush.

A book which took me on an emotional journey like practically no other ever did was "A Soldier of the Great War" by Mark Helprin.

At various points in the story I laughed out loud [rare enough] and at others I blubbered like a wee baby!

When it was finished I wanted to cry again - simply because it was finished..

READ IT - YOU WON'T REGRET IT :)

Has anyone ever cried reading about something that really happened in history? Humans can be pretty remarkable. Wouldn't it be good for people today, particularly younger people, to hear about those who knew about something bigger than themselves... or some great act of kindness committed by a normal person?

I have this book Jesus Freaks Volume II by the band dcTalk, a compendium of stories of people who have been hurt or killed because they are Christians who refuse anything else. When I go home for holiday, I will add the quotation they had in there from Ignatius, right before he was buried alive for his singular faith.

I may have cried in The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom, about the Holocaust. I need to finish that one.