Books that made you cry

Fiona

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cried at the end of the Bride Quartet series by Nora Roberts. I loved that whole series and it had a great happy ending, which made me cry for happiness or joy. But also, knowing that that the last book also made me cry. I felt like such a dork tearing up in the breakroom at work, but it was just so good in a happy/sad way.

I have just finished reading 'Never Look Back', the last few chapters of the book, I sat and sobbed my heart out, especially when

Matty love of her life Captain James Russell got killed during the war.

• 4 months later...

I tend to be a pretty tough old broad,so rarely cry about anything ,but when I read the last few pages of " I Know This Much is True" ,by Wally Lamb, I sobbed my eyes out .

Felt really stupid, but he can really reach down inside you and bring out the emotions .

It's been a long time since I read it,and can't remember the exact content at the end,except to say it was reminding us of the attachments you have to family,whether it's always pleasant, or really difficult, you are still attached to them in some invisible way .

I like books like that. They teach me a lot about life and how to live it,and what mistakes I have made .

Endless Night by Richard Laymon made me cry - because it was so bad. All those struggling authors out there who can't get published and rubbish like that makes it onto the shelves :rolleyes:

Seriously, though, I can't say I've ever cried at a book, but certain ones have brought a lump to my throat: the end of The Shadow of the Wind springs to mind, and The Lions of Al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay. Also, when I've invested a lot of time in a series and finally reach the end of it, I have found that can be quite an emotional experience (in a manly way, of course :wink: ). I remember The Belgariad had that effect many years ago, when I turned the last page, and more recently The Malazan Book of the Fallen.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Black Beauty. Read it a million years ago and still get a lump in the throat thinking about it

Yes! I read and reread it many times in my childhood, cried like a baby every time.

For me, it's the animal books that really tear me up, the books by James Herriot had me laughing and crying all at the same time.

It would be an interesting analysis to see what made each individual cry, is it connected to the individual's life experience, or simply through an empathic nature.

• 1 month later...

I don't think I've ever actually cried over a book, but I've certainly had some books that have made me quite sad or emotional.

The Kite Runner

Of mice and men

are two that spring immediately to mind.

I also cried at the end of 'The Book Thief'

very few books have made me cry, but I bawled at 'the book thief'

I'm a definate cryer... the last book to really touch me was The Book Theif, I had to phone Johnny at 2 in the morning as I was sobbing so much - really moving.

The Book Thief

I have to add The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, had to keep the tissues handy!

If you have read my list of read books you know that The Book Thief (Marcus Zusak) made me cry.

The Book Thief. Such an emotional end.

I cried when I read the Book Thief too.

I take it you haven't read The Book Thief or I'm sure that would be on the list too!

Edited by poppyshake

Usually I don't cry from books, but a Christmas story from Marko Leino made me cry. It is written so sad, that even when telling about happy times it is very melancholic.

I would give the English title, but I couldn't find it at Amazon. Not sure, if it has been translated at all.

Ironically, after only saying a few days ago that I very rarely cry at books, I actually cried towards the end of The Book Thief today, however I am feeling ill so naturally more emotional.

The Book Thief was the most recent book that really made me cry for about a full half of the book

The Book Thief

The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak was a book that made me cry. And then a few days later I cried when I was thinking about it. It had characters that were so brilliantly written and I love how the narrative was told from Death's perspective. Such a good book!

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

I cried reading - The Book Thief.

' The Book Thief ' made me cry and I've never cried at a book before .

For a book to do that is pretty impressive .

I meant to incorporate this into the earlier post but it wouldn't let me .. too long. Anyway it's official The Book Thief will make you weep buckets.

Edited by poppyshake