Books that made you cry

Fiona

I recently read A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving and the ending made me cry, it was so sad. The only other book I can think of which has made me cry is The Ghost by Danielle Steel.

Oh yes! Owen Meany is a fantastic book! I read it a few years back and still have it sitting on my shelf :lol: I should give it another read. I remember the ending had me in tears.

Another sad book - Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh the ending to that really was sad

the idea of never seeing someone again that you love, especially as they only discovered it as well :lol:

Finished The Time Traveler's Wife today, another emotional ending.

I found i this quite emotional. It was funny actually. When i read it i was during a time i was feeling low and my mother-in-law saw me just as i had been reading the end, and i was in tears. She was really concerned because she thought i was crying because it was a bad day. I showed her the book (the real reason for my blubbering) and she started laughing! :D

• 11 months later...

One book that never fails to make me cry is Flowers for Algernon. Its such a beautiful, heartbreaking story- one of my favorites. :)

A book that I bought recently and started but need to get back to and finish is The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud by Ben Sherwood. The back cover alone makes me tear up a bit!

Oh yes! Owen Meany is a fantastic book! I read it a few years back and still have it sitting on my shelf :lol: I should give it another read. I remember the ending had me in tears.

One book that never fails to make me cry is Flowers for Algernon. Its such a beautiful, heartbreaking story- one of my favorites. :)

I agree with both of these. Both excellent, both made me cry.

Another one I had to put down for a bit because one part made me cry so hard was Emotional Geology by Linda Gillard.

• 4 weeks later...

I can only think of two books which have made me really cry - At Swim, Two Boys by Jamie O'Neill and Les Miserables by Victor Hugo:

"He sleeps. Although so much he was denied,

He lived; and when his dear love left him, died.

It happened of itself, in the calm way

That in the evening night-time follows day."

There was a part in Le Testament Français involving the death of an animal, which was only...I dunno, half of a page long, and it made me cry. And that's not even the main part of the book, just one event out of a whole bunch of stories!

Life of Pi is also one that really made an impact, and did make me cry at times, not only at sad, but also happy things.

And come to think of it now, the story The Facts Behind the Helsinki Roccamatios (also) by Yann Martel was very moving too.

The Book Thief was the most recent book that really made me cry for about a full half of the book. Prior to that I remember really welling up at the end of Peter Pan (JM Barrie) - they all grow up! :(

Wuthering Heights

Pet Semetary - Stephen King

The Winter House - Nicci Gerrard

The Lord of the Rings

One Flew over the Cuckoos nest - Ken Kesey

The Rice Mother - Rani Manicka

• 2 weeks later...

So many!

Life on the refrigerator door by Alice Kuipers

Peter Pohl and Kinna Geiths I miss you, I miss you! had me crying for hours and I get a big lump in my throat and tears in my eyes just thinking about it. It's hearth breaking and based on Kinna's life after her twin-sister dies in a car-accident.

Jodi Picoult'sMy sisters keeper

Vildängel by Lina Forss

to name a few

• 2 weeks later...

Generally, I avoid any books that would make me cry. I read blurbs on the back of books and those that say anything along the lines of "...then a terrible tragedy occurs that changes her life forever..." I think, Why on earth would I want to read that and depress the heck out of myself?

That said, I did cry reading the memoir of one of the Jewish children who was sent to the UK during the Holocaust. Her experiences in England were fine but it was after the war when she was trying to find her family that was so sad. I'm sorry to say I can't remember the title of it. And I did cry reading P.S. I Love You. Okay, I don't think it was a great book, but the idea of it really got to me if I thought about what it would be like to lose a loved one.

And I cried reading Wild Swans. Some of that, a lot of that, is just so heart-breaking.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so overly emotional that I cry at practically every book I read! In fact, if a book doesn't produce at least a few tears I feel let down because it means that it hasn't really touched me.

However there are a few books which literally reduce me to floods of tears, and can actually make me cry for several days whenever I think about them again! The main ones are:

Captain Corelli's Mandolin

The Amber Spyglass

The Book Thief

Every book I've ever read by Robin Hobb

The last 3 Harry Potter books

I can't think of any more at the minute, but there is some!

If I really like a character then I get upset when something bad happens to them or if they get upset it makes me cry as well. I can't read anything where children are hurt without dissolving into tears which is why I tend to avoid books about peoples miserable childhoods although I did read A Child called It & thought it was a good book.

The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak was a book that made me cry. And then a few days later I cried when I was thinking about it. It had characters that were so brilliantly written and I love how the narrative was told from Death's perspective. Such a good book!