Hello all! I am new to this place..

xtreemneo

Hello everyone!  :sign0144: ,

I am not really a book person.. The only non-academic book I have ever read is Carl Sagan's Cosmos.. I really enjoyed reading it 12 years ago  :blush:.. I still remember to this day the journey Carl took me with his book.. Never forget!

By this time tomorrow, I would have completed going round the sun 26 times.. I really like to start reading again.. 2 part-time jobs, graduate job applications every day and preparing for interviews.. in the midst of this busy schedule, I reckon book reading would be a good relaxation.. 

I am really looking into getting lost in books.. to travel along my fellow readers through the journey our high caliber authors take us..  

The problem is, It's been a while now and I don't know where to start, what is my preference and little afraid stepping on wrong direction.. or maybe that is the way to find out.. I don't know..

Do we have beginners here? Regular readers.. Of course.. Would you please share with us anything that might be helpful to beginners in my/similar situation?

I am going to be a regular visitor now! I feel proud to join a group of like minded people.. BCF that is!

Huh, that's a long post.  :snack:

Hey, welcome here :). I don't know how much help I can be, but what kind of books did you like as a child (or did you not read anything)? What kind of films or TV shows do you like? You could try reading some of the synopses of books and see if anything sparks your interest.

Here are some book genres off the top of my head:

- Literature (many free ebooks to be found, ie. on Amazon or Project Gutenberg)

- Contemporary fiction

- Historical fiction (are you interested in any particular historical period?)

- Fantasy (you could try ie. J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter or J. R. R. Tolkien or Terry Pratchett)

- Science-fiction (I'd recommend starting with something that's not too long, will have to think about this one)

- Thrillers (do you like action films?)

- Detectives (do you like to solve a mystery?)

- Paranormal (ie. vampires, are you interested in the supernatural?)

- Chick-lit and romance (may or may not be your thing)

- Non-fiction books: information books, biographies (I presume you're not looking for information books, though).

Age wise:

- Children

- Young-Adult

- Adult

Of course there also exist subgenres, ie. dystopian is a subgenre of science-fiction.

Do you have access to a library? You could borrow some books of various genres and see which one(s) you like? I recommend picking some well known, well liked books.

That's all I have time for at this moment, now I've got to go back to doing something more productive XD :P.

Hello Athena! :),

Thanks for your post... I did a little research after your post and found my kind of books are "Popular Science", "Scientific Anthology" and anything related to STEM field of studies..

Literary science has always inspired me even during my school days.. I liked watching informative documentaries, reading current events about this weird and wonderful niche world of my mine, TV program's about Science.. Hmm.. It makes sense now when I think about it..

I buy ebooks from Amazon.. I think they have a huge collection of everything on Popular Science there..

There is always something about classic literature.. And I wanted to reading them all.. I am afraid if I will ever have the energy to open one as all these classics are HUGE!

I am taking away something else from your post too.. That I can always go through a variety of generes and sub-generes and there will always be something I never heard of and to try something new..

Thanks Athena,

Woohoo! Time to get lost in a book again after a long time!

Welcome aboard. I've recently joined this forum and am enjoying myself. I have always been a reader, so in that respect I haven't much to offer.

If you like medical detectives with lots of Science type information then Robin Cook could be right up your alley. I've always enjoyed his books and learned quite a bit from him in the process.

Welcome aboard. I've recently joined this forum and am enjoying myself. I have always been a reader, so in that respect I haven't much to offer.

If you like medical detectives with lots of Science type information then Robin Cook could be right up your alley. I've always enjoyed his books and learned quite a bit from him in the process.

Thanks for the warm welcome Miss Mabel  :blush2: , I have never been a reader but more of an audio/video person.. but that changed. I recently read about Carl Sagan's TV series that were remade by Neil deGrasse Tyson present director of the Hayden Planetarium, NY. 

I remembered Carl Sagan's 'Cosmos' book, the only non-academic book I have ever read in my whole life.. Inspirational, intuitive and brilliant author.. I would recommend him to anyone in a heart's beat.

Thanks for the suggestion Miss Mabel.. I am on a mission to get into reading and Robin Cook who introduced the word "medical" to the thriller genre (as per http://www.robincook.com/ ) seems like one of a good place to get lost for a beginner like me. 

:smile:

Your welcome. Hope you can fine one to your liking. I think he also wrote the book that the tv series V was based on. Although, personally, I thought the tv serie (this time) more interesting than the book. He has better ones out there. I think the book was called Invasion.

Welcome to the forum! Taking the time to read a book is one of the most rewarding things, even if burdened with a busy schedule.  Enjoy your journey, Xtr.

Welcome amongst us new friend - may the years of you enjoying the pleasure of reading for relaxation be long ones. :smile:

I'd suggest a trip to your local Public Library, Extreemneo. Joining is free - usually you just need a photo ID and maybe a utility bill or two to confirm your home address. Phone them to check, before you go, and once that's done you can unleash yourself -  

The purpose for your reading on this occasion is relaxation, after all, so it might be best to just let yourself wander about the shelves and let your eye fall on the title it's drawn to. Titles themselves are the first big "hook" of an author, and you'll find your hand reaching for that certain one ... or more.     

Try choosing a novel from each section - (maybe you wouldn't fancy  Romance, though! :D ) - most Libraries will let you borrow at least 6 books, so you can borrow them all and try them at leisure at home (Maybe take a bag with you to carry your booty away, too?)

If you dislike them, it hasn't cost you a penny - unless you forget to return them within the (usually 3 week) lending period, that is! .You can also renew them for a further period if you like.

Or - have a wander around either a Charity shop or your  "High Street" bookshop. Obviously the Charity shop will be considerably cheaper, and better for a "try it and see" choice.  There are some great good-quality bargains in Charity shops nowadays, as many people move from paperback books onto e-readers instead, and there's no time limit to worry about - once bought, it's all yours.  

There's years of entertainment and relaxation just waiting for you - dive in, you'll love it! .

Hello and welcome to the forum! :smile:

If you liked Carl Sagan's Cosmos (which is a very good read, along with Pale Blue Dot - also by him), how about giving Contact a go? It's his only non-fiction book, and combines the science vs. religion discussion quite well. It was also made into a movie with Jodie Foster.

Or how about science-fiction, if you are interested in science but would like to branch off into fiction? The choices are endless really, and I'm sure you'll pick up some great recommendations from the forum. :readingtwo:

Just a thought which I thunk after I'd left, Extreemneo - you might like biographies or autobiographies?

For me, they're a "middle ground" between fiction and text books. It can be fascinating to read about the life of someone else, from pop star to politician and all the range in between. We know so little about the whole-people who are also the familiar faces of our society. Not to mention the ordinary folk who have their tales to tell, too.   

Someone at your local Library will point them out for you, you could add a couple more to that armful you can borrow

You may be in there some time, my friend - have fun!   .

:smile: