If you could read your book for the first time....

Sometimes we read books that change the way we see writing. Sometimes there are books we wish we could go back and read for the first time again.

What book would that be for you?

I wish I could read The Secret Garden for the first time..

What about you?

The Secret Garden's a great one :)

A very difficult, but interesting question! Would one choose a book that changed the way they thought about things, or that inspired them, or that was just so darn good the first time it can never be as good the second time round...?

I think I would have to say The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I loved it when I read it. I think about re-reading it every now and then but I've never felt brave enough to do it: what if it doesn't strike me as anything spectacular this time?  :cry:

The Secret Garden's a great one :)

A very difficult, but interesting question! Would one choose a book that changed the way they thought about things, or that inspired them, or that was just so darn good the first time it can never be as good the second time round...?

I think I would have to say The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I loved it when I read it. I think about re-reading it every now and then but I've never felt brave enough to do it: what if it doesn't strike me as anything spectacular this time?  :cry:

Yeah it is really hard... I have a about ten books I wish I could re-read them again. :) Okay I'll keep that book in mind, it must be pretty good.

Oh give it ago, you never know you might pick up something you hadn't before. If it's not so spectacular, then at least you had Paris, lol you know what I mean.

:)

Yeah it is really hard... I have a about ten books I wish I could re-read them again. :) Okay I'll keep that book in mind, it must be pretty good.

Oh give it ago, you never know you might pick up something you hadn't before. If it's not so spectacular, then at least you had Paris, lol you know what I mean.

:)

Heh, yes :D  But maybe I will read the two sequels/prequels first, I've had the other on my TBR for a few years now and got the other as a Christmas present... I've just heard they are not as great as the first book, unfortunately....

I would definitely recommend Shadow of the Wind for you! Or anyone else, for that matter. Quite a few on here have read it and loved it :yes:

Heh, yes :D  But maybe I will read the two sequels/prequels first, I've had the other on my TBR for a few years now and got the other as a Christmas present... I've just heard they are not as great as the first book, unfortunately....

I would definitely recommend Shadow of the Wind for you! Or anyone else, for that matter. Quite a few on here have read it and loved it :yes:

oh okay, but don't listen to everything you hear. You might read them and fall in love with them, and then you'll have to come back and tell me you want to re-read them again. :)

Thank you for your recommendation, I'll look online and see if there are any kindle versions. Need to save my pennies. :)

oh okay, but don't listen to everything you hear. You might read them and fall in love with them, and then you'll have to come back and tell me you want to re-read them again. :)

Thank you for your recommendation, I'll look online and see if there's a kindle version, save my pennies. 

This novel is by the author of the celebrated My Life in Crime and is his first. The life of the 'Son of Fate' is a grim struggle for survival, after his release from prison. He tries his luck at farming, and odd jobs in the city, but everything fails, and he finds himself on the wrong side of the law again. But a glimmer of hope comes when he rescues a tycoon.

This novel is by the author of the celebrated My Life in Crime and is his first. The life of the 'Son of Fate' is a grim struggle for survival, after his release from prison. He tries his luck at farming, and odd jobs in the city, but everything fails, and he finds himself on the wrong side of the law again. But a glimmer of hope comes when he rescues a tycoon.

Wow sounds interesting :) I'll check it out

If I could, I'd read the Mortal Engines Quartet by Philip Reeve over and over again. Still one of my all time favourites. Also, Looking for Alaska by John Green and TFiOS, as well as Ruta Sepety's Out of hte Easy and Between Shades of Gray.

Such a great question.  I have a several that altered me emotionally when I read them, either from the content or just the writing itself, and would love to read them for the first time again.  A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb is one because it is written so beautifully.  Another one is Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury because I it makes me feel reminiscent of my youth, but a little sad as well.

If I could, I'd read the Mortal Engines Quartet by Philip Reeve over and over again. Still one of my all time favourites. Also, Looking for Alaska by John Green and TFiOS, as well as Ruta Sepety's Out of hte Easy and Between Shades of Gray.

Thank you for your post. Oh, those all time favorites. :) Great choices. The great thing you'll experience more books you wish could re-read again. I hope you find them. 

Such a great question.  I have a several that altered me emotionally when I read them, either from the content or just the writing itself, and would love to read them for the first time again.  A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb is one because it is written so beautifully.  Another one is Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury because I it makes me feel reminiscent of my youth, but a little sad as well.

I think we could ask the same question about a lot of things. :) Great choices, some I would love to check out and read for myself. I love the titles of those books, 'A certain slant of Light' and 'Dandelion Wine' they give lovely images. 

Edited by Lydia

• 4 weeks later...

The Dark Tower by St. King. Still remember my roommate asking me if I've read it and his surprise when I said no. We're both huge St.King fans :). There were only 4 parts published back at the time.

I'm don't normally hold back from re-reading books I enjoyed, but I wish I could read Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card again for the first time. It's set in a future world, where selected children are trained as fighters from a very young age. I first read it years ago, but that kind of dystopian fiction seems to have suddenly come into fashion now. Anyway, the ending really shocked me. There's no way you can recapture that gut-wrenching surprise on the second go round.

The book I've re-read most? The Song of the Lioness series by Tamora Pierce. I've read these multiple times a year since the age of about 12 and I never get tired. It's like going back to visit old friends now, so comforting.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

The first book that comes to mind is Harry potter. I would love to know all the characters and enjoy with their adventures like the first time :smile:

Oh yes, that's another book (series) that I'd love to be able to read 'for the first time' :wub:

From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankenweiler, by E.L. Konigsburg about a girl who runs away and hides in the Metropolitan Museum in New York.  It was one of my favorite books as a very young reader and just set my imagination on fire!

Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great by Judy Bloom would be another, as I read and re-read that book over and over.  I loved it because, other than The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder, it was the longest book I owned as a kid (150pgs lol)

Edited by Anna Begins

• 2 months later...

There are loads of books that I would love to be able to read again for the first time, but the one that stands out the most to me would definitely be the Harry Potter series.

Books 1-4 had already been released before I read them, but after that I was completely hooked.  I didn't go to any midnight release parties or anything like that, but I was certainly down the bookstore as soon as I possibly could on the day of release in order to pick up my copy.  I then went straight home to read them, avoiding friends, the internet, radio and television along the way in order to avoid being spoiled.

The excitement and anticipation of reading the last three books in the series, along with the bittersweet feeling of knowing there would be no more was just too damn good.  At the time I had never known that feeling before and haven't since.

I'm quite jealous when I hear that someone I know is reading them for the first time because they get to experience all of that - without the long months waiting for them to be released, that is - where as I will never get to experience that feeling again.

From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankenweiler, by E.L. Konigsburg about a girl who runs away and hides in the Metropolitan Museum in New York.  It was one of my favorite books as a very young reader and just set my imagination on fire!

One of the best children's books ever!  My daughter's copy fell to pieces she read it so much, so we had to buy her a new one.  I had a copy as a child, and the same thing happened to it.  Like mother like daughter!  

Hmm...for books from my childhood, probably Voyage of the Dawn Treader.  Although, that was more one that held its magic time after time.  Absolute wonder.