Your Book Activity - May 2013

We're a bit late with the new thread this month!  I think the first of May may have passed everyone by. :lol:

Anyway, I finished my last Kindle freebie for a few of weeks, Branded by Keary Taylor, which was actually pretty good, but am now going onto the books I bought in my huge spending spree last week (eleven books for £13 :D) and the others that were already on my TBR, so they should keep me going for a while!

Also had an eBook I had pre-ordered become available today, for the princely sum of 84p, and my copy of Little House in the Big Woods for the June reading circle is ready for collection at the library, who have reduced their reservation fee down to £1, so that may be my book spending for the month complete.

Not sure what to start today, so off to peruse my list over a cuppa.  :coffee1: 

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the book buying front i had a major splurge today & bought 13 books  :doh:

On the book reading front i've only got 30 pages to go in Bleak House  :clapping:

I had to go to Basingstoke today to buy a new MacBook charger and had to walk past Waterstone's, well in fact I didn't walk past, I walked in, and bought..

Wool - Hugh Howey (this has been on my wish list for ages)

The Death and Life of Charlie St Cloud - Ben Sherwood

The 5th Wave - Rick Yancey (thought it would appeal to my teenage son)

I had to go to Basingstoke today to buy a new MacBook charger and had to walk past Waterstone's, well in fact I didn't walk past, I walked in, and bought..

Wool - Hugh Howey (this has been on my wish list for ages)

The Death and Life of Charlie St Cloud - Ben Sherwood

The 5th Wave - Rick Yancey (thought it would appeal to my teenage son)

I enjoyed Wool, and was glad to see it come out on paper!  I already had read the first 5 on Kindle. They are quite enjoyable!

Had a quiet day at work today so I managed to get most of the way through Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk.

Have you noticed that the pages count down backwards (or at least my copy did)?

Have you noticed that the pages count down backwards (or at least my copy did)?

Yes, it was one of the first things I noticed because I always have a look to see how long a book is when I start reading it. It's quite bizarre so far.

I enjoyed Wool, and was glad to see it come out on paper!  I already had read the first 5 on Kindle. They are quite enjoyable!

I'm looking forward to getting to it soon.. I just need more time to read!!! :)

I'm looking forward to getting to it soon.. I just need more time to read!!! :)

I know, I don't know where the time goes.  :)

I just finished All That Is by James Salter.  Not his best, but Salter's 'not best' is head and shoulders above many others. :)

I think I'll start Cicero by Anthony Everitt.

Edited by pontalba

Bleak house is very good, do you like it kidsmum?

I really enjoyed it itsmeagain but i must admit it felt like a marathon read  :smile:

Yes, it was one of the first things I noticed because I always have a look to see how long a book is when I start reading it. It's quite bizarre so far.

I do that as well so then i'll know when i've reached the halfway mark  :D

Almost at a 1000 pages! Hallelujah! Only like 300 pages left. This series will be the death of me. :(

Well done you, your in the home stretch now  :e010:

I finished Bleak House last night, i enjoyed it very much but definitely need a shorter book for my next read so i've made a start on A Murder Of Quality  John Le Carre  :smile: 

I've just reached the half way mark on 'Angela's Ashes' by Frank McCourt and so far, it's the best book I have read this year.

Edited by karen.d

I've finished a couple of books in the last couple of days - The Westerby Inheritance by M. C. Beaton, which was entertaining but rather fluffy, and Death an Wentwater Court by Carola Dunn which was a cracking little read.

Only about 50% through The Crimson Petal and the White. :thud: I have exams in two weeks so that is taking over. Also, it doesn't help that I had a mammoth 3 hour nap this afternoon when I could have been studying (or reading). :doh:

I have just finished 'Angela's Ashes' by Frank McCourt and although I thought the book finishes too abruptly, it's a very good read.

Now I'm about to start reading 'Jingo' by Terry Pratchett. I found this  for 50 cents in the charity shop I volunteer in and decided to give it a go. I haven't read anything else by Pratchett, so I'm hoping that by reading a random 'Discworld' novel, I won't be too confused. Do you have to read the 'Discworld' series in order?

Finished Single In The City by Michele Gorman this morning (bought three of her books over the last few weeks as she was a featured author on here, and wanted to try out her books after having a bit of discussion with her), and I enjoyed it.  Definitely in the romcom genre, but with the fish out of water story of an ex-pat in London, and thankfully, doesn't have a happily ever after ending, but a realistic, albeit optimistic one.  Have two more to read soon :)

Started The Various Flavours of Coffee and about 25% of the way through, and loving it so far.

Edited by chesilbeach

Now I'm about to start reading 'Jingo' by Terry Pratchett. I found this  for 50 cents in the charity shop I volunteer in and decided to give it a go. I haven't read anything else by Pratchett, so I'm hoping that by reading a random 'Discworld' novel, I won't be too confused. Do you have to read the 'Discworld' series in order?

No, you don't :). Only The Light Fantastic is a direct sequel of The Colour of Magic. Jingo you should be able to read no problem :).