Crime Novel suggestions

After being obsessed with the crime series 'Broadchurch', I'm now getting serious withdrawal symptoms :cry: . So could anyone suggest a modern crime/detective series of novels or writers, that are similar to 'Broadchurch'? Thanks!

Edited by karen.d

Have you read any crime authors before?

The only crime authors I have read are Kate Atkinson's Jackson Brodie series (which I love) and one or two books by Agatha Christie, but they weren't my cup of tea. I want to read something more modern and the sort of 'whodunnit' that 'Broadchurch' was.

Edited by karen.d

Laurie R. King writes a couple of series, one featuring a Kate Martinelli, a San Francisco detective.  I've read them, I believe 6 or 7 so far and have enjoyed them.  She also writes that Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes stories, but the Martinelli is set in modern times.  She has some stand alones as well.  I particularly enjoyed her stand alone, Folly.

Edited by pontalba

I've not seen Broadchurch, but I always highly recommend Stuart MacBride as a crime novelist. His Logan McRae series is set in Aberdeen and is fantastic! :)

You could do worse than Gone, Baby, Gone by Dennis Lehane, I reckon.  It's part of a series but it stands okay on its own.

Boston private investigators Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro are hired to find four-year-old Amanda Cready.

Despite extensive news coverage and dogged investigation into her abduction, the police have uncovered nothing. And as the Indian summer fades, Amanda McCready stays gone - vanished so completely that she seems never to have existed.

Confronted with a police force seething with lethal secrets, Kenzie and Gennaro soon discover that those who go looking for the missing may not come back alive. 

I thought Broadchurch was definitely trying to emulate the Scandi crime shows, like The Killing and The Bridge, so it might be worth taking a look at the likes of Henning Mankell, Jo Nesbo etc :smile:

Laurie R. King writes a couple of series, one featuring a Kate Martinelli, a San Francisco detective.  I've read them, I believe 6 or 7 so far and have enjoyed them.  She also writes that Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes stories, but the Martinelli is set in modern times.  She has some stand alones as well.  I particularly enjoyed her stand alone, Folly.

I've not seen Broadchurch, but I always highly recommend Stuart MacBride as a crime novelist. His Logan McRae series is set in Aberdeen and is fantastic! :)

You could do worse than Gone, Baby, Gone by Dennis Lehane, I reckon.  It's part of a series but it stands okay on its own.

I thought Broadchurch was definitely trying to emulate the Scandi crime shows, like The Killing and The Bridge, so it might be worth taking a look at the likes of Henning Mankell, Jo Nesbo etc :smile:

Great suggestions everyone! I will definitely try 'Gone Baby, Gone' and all of the authors you have all mentioned. I'm more interested in reading something from a detective's point of view, rather an investigation revolving around technology. I love the idea of trying to work 'whodunnit' , along with the detective in a book.

Elizabeth George writes so well about modern UK,  from an American author her  crime novels are remarkably good.

I've looked Elizabeth George up on Amazon and the 'Inspector Lynley' series looks good. I'm rapidly getting a good selection on my Amazon wishlist!