Lydia

Hi everyone, 

I know I've been away from this lovely place for awhile now. I don't have much friends on here, well I don't think I have any friends on here, yet. lol, so I'm sure I haven't been missed. :) I would love to make new friends though.. :) 

I love the Young Adult genre and I'm really eager to read something that will BLOW MY MIND! lol. I have a lot of series at home and have loaned books from the library,and they are good reads but nothing has really made me gasp. I want a book where I have no idea what's going to happen. Relationships or romantic interests I don't see coming. I want a book that's not predictable, I'm left longing for more and questions that will haunt me for days.

If you have any ideas please feel free to reply, don't be shy I'm open to different books. :) It doesn't have to be limited to the YA genre. 

Or if you have a favorite author who supplies stories that will BLOW MY MIND! please post away..

Hope you all are having a fine day my sweets. 

Hi Lydia and welcome back!

It's not a YA book, but I immediately thought of "Odd Thomas" by Dean Koontz. That had an ending that I at least didn't see coming!

I'm sure you'll get loads of good suggestions here

Hi Lydia and welcome back!

It's not a YA book, but I immediately thought of "Odd Thomas" by Dean Koontz. That had an ending that I at least didn't see coming!

I'm sure you'll get loads of good suggestions here

Thank you, I'll look it up. I'm open to all suggestions. You just never know this might be my new fav :)

One of the YA books that still sticks with me a couple of years on and I thought was a fantastic story was Stolen by Lucy Christopher and certainly left me thinking about the truth for a while afterwards.

Thank you, that author looks familiar. :) I have to check this out. Wow food for thought is definitely what I'm looking for, thank you. :) 

The only YA books I have read have been dystopian ones, I don't know if these interest you, but they would certainly fulfil your requirements of romance, unexpected relationships and not knowing what is going to happen. I would recommend then Veronica Roth and Lauren Oliver.

The only YA books I have read have been dystopian ones, I don't know if these interest you, but they would certainly fulfil your requirements of romance, unexpected relationships and not knowing what is going to happen. I would recommend then Veronica Roth and Lauren Oliver.

oh okay, thanks I'll look them up. :) Veronica Roth sounds familiar. 

Fire & Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones. According to wiki it's 'modern fantasy' but if you're not a fantasy fan, don't let that scare you :) It's a great novel!

Black Swan Green by David Mitchell is also great...

I'm sure there are loads of other recommendations but those come to mind off the top of my head.

I love the fantasy! Thank you, I'll add it to by book wish list. :) Someone else has also reconmended Black Swan a while ago, I think It might be sign to check out. Thank you for you suggestions. This year it's going to be an interesting book reading adventure.

I love the fantasy! Thank you, I'll add it to by book wish list. :) Someone else has also reconmended Black Swan a while ago, I think It might be sign to check out. Thank you for you suggestions. This year it's going to be an interesting book reading adventure.

I know a few others on here who've loved Black Swan Green so that's a further nudge, if you need one :)  I hope you enjoy all the books that have been recommended to you on this thread, happy reading!  :readingtwo:

Edit: re-reading this thread, it's made me think that I should probably say that BSG might not exactly blow your mind, it's not groundbreaking in itself but it's still a very wonderful read about a young kid. Fire & Hemlock might be more of the kind of book where you don't know what's coming.

Edited by frankie

I know a few others on here who've loved Black Swan Green so that's a further nudge, if you need one :)  I hope you enjoy all the books that have been recommended to you on this thread, happy reading!  :readingtwo:

Edit: re-reading this thread, it's made me think that I should probably say that BSG might not exactly blow your mind, it's not groundbreaking in itself but it's still a very wonderful read about a young kid. Fire & Hemlock might be more of the kind of book where you don't know what's coming.

Thank you! I'm open to read about anything that's interesting. :) wow cool thank you. I'll definitly have to check out my local library to see if they have these books or it's going to be a very expensive year. :)... hehe

Edited by Lydia

I was wondering, since I was thinking about buying or loaning books. What's the best way to go about it? What's the best website to buy books for reasonable prices, or is everyone using ereaders? I don't know it's a hard choice, I want the best deal but I love physical books. What do you guys think?

As a writer of YA fantasy (and other genres), and as this is my first ever post on this site, I understand I am not allowed to mention any of my books until I've made 30 posts (I believe). Having said that, I recommend that you read anything by Philip Reeve if you haven't done so already. Not only does he possess a remarkable imagination but he is one of the finest prose writers around.

I was wondering, since I was thinking about buying or loaning books. What's the best way to go about it? What's the best website to buy books for reasonable prices, or is everyone using ereaders? I don't know it's a hard choice, I want the best deal but I love physical books. What do you guys think?

Buying's always great because then you have your own little library and can choose more carefully when to read which book, according to your precise mood, but like you said, it can become pricey (unless you are willing to go to secondhand bookshops and spend hours there to look for particular titles... which is a wonderful way to pass time, by the way :D Hehe!).  I would recommend Book Depository, they deliver just about anywhere (there are some exceptions, though, unfortunately), I find their prices lower than in an average bookshop and they have a great range of titles.

But I would also recommend borrowing books from the library! It's free of charge, and you can find some really great titles there just by chance. If your local library has stands of books that have been just recently released, I'd recommend you check those, there might be some great books there. You  could go and look at the 'returned today' bookshelf and find something interesting there.

I'd say quite a few people on here have ereaders and they seem to enjoy them and find them really handy... And there are the people who speak for the 'tree books'... I think there are pros and cons to both :)

Edit: Oh! And since you love fantasy, I would definitely recommend Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next -series!! A lot of people on here have read the books and loved them a lot :smile2: It's not YA but otherwise I think you might really enjoy the books. Here's the thread on Fforde and his books, on the forum.

Edited by frankie

As a writer of YA fantasy (and other genres), and as this is my first ever post on this site, I understand I am not allowed to mention any of my books until I've made 30 posts (I believe). Having said that, I recommend that you read anything by Philip Reeve if you haven't done so already. Not only does he possess a remarkable imagination but he is one of the finest prose writers around.

Actually, it's not a 30-post rule - it's an "Ask the person who runs the site first" rule. Anyone who posts about their own material without permission gets that post removed...

Thank you , I will check them out. :) Thank you for posting your first post in here.  I hope you saw the lastest message about posting you own material on here. :)

Buying's always great because then you have your own little library and can choose more carefully when to read which book, according to your precise mood, but like you said, it can become pricey (unless you are willing to go to secondhand bookshops and spend hours there to look for particular titles... which is a wonderful way to pass time, by the way :D Hehe!).  I would recommend Book Depository, they deliver just about anywhere (there are some exceptions, though, unfortunately), I find their prices lower than in an average bookshop and they have a great range of titles.

But I would also recommend borrowing books from the library! It's free of charge, and you can find some really great titles there just by chance. If your local library has stands of books that have been just recently released, I'd recommend you check those, there might be some great books there. You  could go and look at the 'returned today' bookshelf and find something interesting there.

I'd say quite a few people on here have ereaders and they seem to enjoy them and find them really handy... And there are the people who speak for the 'tree books'... I think there are pros and cons to both :)

Edit: Oh! And since you love fantasy, I would definitely recommend Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next -series!! A lot of people on here have read the books and loved them a lot :smile2: It's not YA but otherwise I think you might really enjoy the books. Here's the thread on Fforde and his books, on the forum.

WOW!!!!! thank you for all your information. That was awesome! I don't know where the secondhand book stores are where I live, so I might to go check them out. I live in a very very small town, in a small city, in a smaller country. lol.. But that would be good excuse to go into the city and check out the secondhand stores out. :)

Oh thank you, I'll see if they deliver in my country.. :)

Yeah I love my little library here in town, I need to check out their new releases. I just have to make sure I read them in time, I think theres a week loan on new books. :) But we have a YA section of the bookstore, but I'm not too sure which books are great because some of the covers are a bit cheesy looking. LOL But I'll ask the librarian next time.

Yeah I'm a student, so money I get from the government is split ten ways in all directions.

Thank you again, I'll add it to my book wish/look out for list.

Actually, it's not a 30-post rule - it's an "Ask the person who runs the site first" rule. Anyone who posts about their own material without permission gets that post removed...

Thank you for that. I didn't know that.. :)

I'm also interested in short fiction, it's something I've recently started reading. I wonder if theres a short fiction websites for particular genres. Do any of you read short fiction, If so what authors to you follow?

Short ficition is such a funny thing, I read "The Enternal Kiss" it had all short stories from a range of different authors, and it was great. It was fantasy/YA about vampires. It was really cool because each story was different and had a different pespective on vampires.

I was wondering if there were fantasy or YA books like that out there. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eternal_Kiss:_13_Vampire_Tales_of_Blood_and_Desire heres a link about the book! If you've read it let me know. :)

I don't know where the secondhand book stores are where I live, so I might to go check them out. I live in a very very small town, in a small city, in a smaller country. lol.. But that would be good excuse to go into the city and check out the secondhand stores out. :)

It's as good excuse as it can get :D You could also check out charityshops, some of them have book sections and who knows what kinds of gems you might find there. And the money goes to charity which is always a plus.

Yeah I love my little library here in town, I need to check out their new releases. I just have to make sure I read them in time, I think theres a week loan on new books. :) But we have a YA section of the bookstore, but I'm not too sure which books are great because some of the covers are a bit cheesy looking. LOL But I'll ask the librarian next time.

Yeah the new books can be a bit tricky because one needs to read them immediately. Do you have an online account for your library, where you can re-new your loans for another month? Sometimes I'm able to re-new the loan on a new book and can therefore have it for a bit longer.

Unfortunately I don't read short stories that much, I like 'meatier' and longer stories, but there's a section on the forum for short stories, you have probably already noticed it. Maybe there's something there to suit your fancy :)

It's as good excuse as it can get :D You could also check out charityshops, some of them have book sections and who knows what kinds of gems you might find there. And the money goes to charity which is always a plus.

Yeah the new books can be a bit tricky because one needs to read them immediately. Do you have an online account for your library, where you can re-new your loans for another month? Sometimes I'm able to re-new the loan on a new book and can therefore have it for a bit longer.

Unfortunately I don't read short stories that much, I like 'meatier' and longer stories, but there's a section on the forum for short stories, you have probably already noticed it. Maybe there's something there to suit your fancy :)

Oh right, yes I'll check that out. :) When I have time, winter is upon me and having a free day for an outting is few to many. :) But that's a great suggestion, thank you Frankie.

Oh yes I have an online account for the library but it cost to loan out the new releases, :( me a poor student have to save my penny for a rainy day, so I'll work up to the new releases section.

Oh right, that's cool. I'll have a look, I actually didn't know about that forum so thank you. Yes I do like 'Meaty' books too. :)

:)

Oh yes I have an online account for the library but it cost to loan out the new releases, :( me a poor student have to save my penny for a rainy day, so I'll work up to the new releases section.

Ah yes, it's no fun when reserving a book costs money. It might not sound like much, but as a fellow student I know how it is. But don't worry, soon you'll have so many books that you don't know what to read next because there's too many choices, and you won't have time to even think abou reserving new books :)

Happy reading! :)

Ah yes, it's no fun when reserving a book costs money. It might not sound like much, but as a fellow student I know how it is. But don't worry, soon you'll have so many books that you don't know what to read next because there's too many choices, and you won't have time to even think abou reserving new books :)

Happy reading! :)

Hehe yeah, I'm reading a really great book at the moment. I'm too scared to read at night. :) Yes, us poor students.