Bad day at work?

I don’t know if anyone read recently of the Irish banking authorities and their bright idea to mint 10,000 €10 euro coins in celebration of Joyce’s Ulysses. As one might expect, a quotation from the work was featured on the face of the coin. All well and good apart from the fact that a stray ‘that’ strolled along and placed itself very much in the middle of the ‘photograph’.

What is now quite clearly an incorrect quotation has been minted 10,000 times and launched by the Central Bank of Ireland with much fanfare!

Someone was asked to check the wording! Not the CEO either I would guess! And how was your day at work? :)

"Ineluctable modality of the visible: at least that if no more, thought through my eyes. Signatures of all things that I am here to read.”

The actual quote, which appears in the 3rd chapter, reads:

“Ineluctable modality of the visible: at least that if no more, thought through my eyes. Signatures of all things I am here to read."

A mere check-through of 24 words. Someone definately had that sinking feeling! :)

• 2 weeks later...