Tom Sharpe

Acesare*

A couple of years ago I was living with my boyfriend and his extensive library and asked him to choose a book for me. This was a huge gamble for him as he know just how small my sphere of interest is, but he recomended 'Blott on the Landscape' by Tom Sharpe and I haven't looked back!

Tom Sharpe is able to write the type of book that makes you laugh out loud, and has, on many occasions, cause me to receive a number of dodgy looks on the bus before now! He starts with a fairly normal situation with perhaps a few 'eccentric' characters and a series of coincidences, misunderstandings and over reactions lead to situations that have left me gob-smaked!

If you are so far not acquainted, I can recommend any of his stuff, but should advise that, as most were written in the 70s, some of the language may seem rather non-PC now, espcially 'The Great Escape' set in a very divided South Africa.

Jo xx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

My older brother read his books, so there were always plenty lying around the house. Around the age of 13 I read quite a few of them - Wilt, Blott on the Landscape, Riotous Assembly... the rest of the names escape me. I hardly remember anything about them (except the inflated condoms for some strange reason!), but I remember they were pretty funny. I just stopped reading them (I'm not sure why), and haven't picked one up for years.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I read 'The Throwback' on holiday one year and just about wet myself with laughter. It's very, very rare that a book makes me laugh out loud, but this one did several times (the only other example is Milligan's 'Hitler: My Part In His Downfall'). I love Sharpe's style: witty, intelligent and perceptive. His writing reminds me of the kind of letter one writes to a bank manager that one no longer wishes to be involved with; polite but nonetheless scathing. :)

• 1 year later...

The Wilt series is an obvious starting point for Sharpe.

My personal favourite, though, is Vintage Stuff. Absolutely, side-splittingly, hilarious.

If you like Tom Sharpe and haven't read it, you're really missing a trick.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...