"I Could Care Less..."

Mac

Then again, I am often accused of being a Grammar Nazi.

Me too a bit.

I don't like it when language has errors, such as the "could care less" and "I could of done" mentioned in this topic. I prefer it when there are no errors in language used. Especially in books this bothers me. I mean, if it's in a forum post people can make mistakes. But a book is checked by a hopefully proper editor and all that (if not self published, at least. If an ebook is self-published and contains a lot of errors I'd abandon it). I try to not make too many errors in my language use, English is my second language but even in typing English I don't make more mistakes than many British or American people, in my opinion. Sometimes when my boyfriend makes a post or something, I correct it. His education was not good (btw, he's British and I'm not), so he can't really help it. I know the way he usually misspells certain words, it doesn't bother me too much with him, it's kind of cute though if I can help it I'll tell him the correct spelling XD.

I have an eidetic memory so if language is misused or such it really bothers me. As a child, I often spotted language errors in Dutch children's books.

Another thing, when people use both British and American English in one (blog)post/presentation/book/website, it annoys me (ie. sometimes they say 'colour' and sometimes 'color').

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As opposed to anything on a page, I am possessed with the deepest desire to ram something unpleasant, somewhere unpleasant  :) when I am addressed as ‘Bud’ or ‘Buddy’. I know, I know, wholly irrational. Mad as a box of frogs!

Anyone hoping to make an impression of any kind in casual conversation comes unstuck if the conversation is led or finished with the word ‘Bud’ or ‘Buddy’.

I am now going to search out a darkened room so I can rest my head. :)

Edited by Drislane

I also can't stand "I could OF done that," instead of "I could HAVE done that," - incredibly ignorant use of language which is becoming more and more common. Most unfortunate.

My 14 year old daughter is in a Grammar school, and when her History teacher told her off for this during a parent's evening, she said she had no idea it was wrong. Surely her ENGLISH teacher should have pointed this out, before her History teacher had to?!  :o

All of the above! Actually, annoyed is too strong a word, but I am endlessly fascinated in the different versions of English spoken. "Gotten" sounds wrong to me, as does "Dove" as in "to dive". I would use "Dived".  One of my pet peeves is the missing word "of" after the word couple that some people use. As in "Have you got a couple (of) minutes?"

The 'could care less' thing annoys me no end but I don't thing I've ever seen it in a book. It seems a common phrase amongst American blogs, forum posts etc from what I have read. I always wondered if I had been taught the phrase 'couldn't care less' incorrectly even though it made far more sense to me.

i always thought I'd been taught the phrase incorrectly particularly when i read it in a book (can't remember for the life of me which one!) and spent days in a debate with my Mum.

I've tried 3 times to find the correct way to reply to this so it doesn't make me sound like I'm trying to start trouble.

I'll try to make it short and say that several of your posts come across as being offensive to Americans . Some have also trash-talked the Australian accent .

Very disappointing  . 

NOT NICE ,folks .   :(

I think the actual phrase is, "I could care less, but I'd have to try very hard." Makes more sense, but people shorten it, which completely changes the meaning.

Also "gotten" is an old British word.

Edited by Ruth

Then again, I am often accused of being a Grammar Nazi. I willingly hold my had up to that one. Typos are one thing (and completely acceptable as an occasional mistake), but constant and consistent misuse of spelling, grammar, syntax, and, well, just the language that is supposedly our mother tongue, is rife and it irks me no end!

Don't get me going! Agree with you entirely. All those habits really irritate me - especially the use of words like 'gotten', and 'could of', and the upward inflection at the end of sentences. Ugh!

In speech I also get really irritated by the common mispronunciation of 'aitch', as in 'haitch'. The name of the letter H does not start with an 'h'!

Edited by willoyd

Gotten is perfectly correct in American English. It was a part of British English at the time of colonisation of America but we evolved away from it while America didn't. So to say 'Got' is correct and gotten isn't just isn't right.

'H'aitch is rife here in south Wales. That's just how we pronounce it.

Regionality and dialect just makes language more interesting. It would be a boring world if we all spoke the same.

Languages evolve and change - otherwise we'd all still be speaking Old English. It's just what happens, and like it or not, popular usage decides how. That's democracy in action :P

I've tried 3 times to find the correct way to reply to this so it doesn't make me sound like I'm trying to start trouble.

I'll try to make it short and say that several of your posts come across as being offensive to Americans . Some have also trash-talked the Australian accent .

Very disappointing  . 

NOT NICE ,folks

Do as I do, ignore the offending posts. There are good and bad on every forum, but much more good than bad on this forum.

I don't think we should be too hard on people, most mistakes are unconscious ones. Not everyone has the advantage of a good education and quite often it's just the way they've always heard things said.  And I'd be the last one to criticise, I'm sure I frequently make grammatical errors (ending sentences in prepositions etc) and my spelling is often questionable.

Yes, but you speak nice. :smile:

Edited by muggle not

Very disappointing  . 

What muggle said in his just previous post is true Julie. 

But I will admit to the fact it annoyed me as well.  I've ignored it so far.

Trash talk is not nice, no matter where it comes from.  It only shows the ignorance of the speaker.

Very disappointing  . 

Do as I do, ignore the offending posts. There are good and bad on every forum, but much more good than bad on this forum.

What muggle said in his just previous post is true Julie. 

But I will admit to the fact it annoyed me as well.  I've ignored it so far.

Trash talk is not nice, no matter where it comes from.  It only shows the ignorance of the speaker.

Can I just apologise to you three if anything I've said in my posts was offensive to you, it was never my intention to trash talk anyone. From your replies it's obvious that you have better manners than all the rest of us put together :friends0:

I would also like to apologise unreservedly to you and others if my post above caused offense in any way. There was certainly no intention on my part to do so. Besides, with an Irish accent I am firmly in the glasshouse on this one! :)

I didn't mean to offend anyone either. I had heard the phrase a couple of times on Seinfeld (which is why I referred to an American sitcom) but certainly didn't mean to insinuate or generalise about Americans as a whole. Apologies if it was taken in that way; it wasn't intended.

What really gets up my nose is how some people use like as every second word, so like they like speak like this like you know like... AHH!!!! I could just about pull my hair out! :)

I find it annoying when people say lol instead of actually laughing when face to face. Are some people really that lazy?

Edited by Devi

Of course it depends on the context in which the "bad" English is used. In speech I don't mind - an accurate representation of the speech used by someone with a particular dialect etc only adds to the books authenticity. Also books that are written in the narration style. Struggling to think of some examples now (of course :doh: ) but "Paddy Clark Ha Ha" and "The curious Incident of the dog in the nightime" use this device (I think - perhaps someone else can confirm)

I'd also like to add - I hope any of my previous posts on this thread hasn't offended. It certainly wasn't meant to. As I originally said - I love the way English is spoken so many different ways depending on where you come from - I really do find it fascinating.

My son does the LOL thing. I'm trying to get him out of the habit, but he's 11 and so has started wanting to be different and not doing what his dad does!

I'm with you Ian, if it fits with the dialect at the time then it is ok with me.

I wouldn't be surprised if slang is being used in some teen novels, especially now lol has made the dictionary - http://www.examiner.com/article/new-dictionary-words-make-webster-lol-la-la-land-with-a-five-second-rule

Maybe you need to start saying it yourself Ian, make it uncool! :giggle2:

Very disappointing  . 

Hey there. Just so you know, in no way, shape or form, was this topic meant as a dig at Americans. So sorry if it came across as otherwise. I'm from the North of England, so my own grasp of language is poor at the best of times!  ;)

Hi folks

Just a quick note to say apologies accepted . Thank you for your understanding .  :)

. I've always thought I was lucky to have found this book group ,since there are so many different countries represented here. It's been interesting to talk to people from other places I'll probably never get to visit . I think in order to keep it a pleasant place ,we all have to be respectful of each other .

That's the only point I wanted to make . 

On with the show ..................