"I Could Care Less..."

Mac

Of course it depends on the context in which the "bad" English is used. In speech I don't mind - an accurate representation of the speech used by someone with a particular dialect etc only adds to the books authenticity. Also books that are written in the narration style. Struggling to think of some examples now (of course :doh: ) but "Paddy Clark Ha Ha" and "The curious Incident of the dog in the nightime" use this device (I think - perhaps someone else can confirm)

I'd also like to add - I hope any of my previous posts on this thread hasn't offended. It certainly wasn't meant to. As I originally said - I love the way English is spoken so many different ways depending on where you come from - I really do find it fascinating.

My son does the LOL thing. I'm trying to get him out of the habit, but he's 11 and so has started wanting to be different and not doing what his dad does!

Whenever I say to the kids I teach "Oh, I lolled out loud!" they just look at me as though I'm mental. This, in turn, makes me rofl on the floor laughing... :giggle2:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of the above! Actually, annoyed is too strong a word, but I am endlessly fascinated in the different versions of English spoken. "Gotten" sounds wrong to me, as does "Dove" as in "to dive". I would use "Dived".  One of my pet peeves is the missing word "of" after the word couple that some people use. As in "Have you got a couple (of) minutes?"

Ill gotten gains is the only connection I can think of where gotten seems to be used correctly.

I'm with you Ian, if it fits with the dialect at the time then it is ok with me.

I wouldn't be surprised if slang is being used in some teen novels, especially now lol has made the dictionary - http://www.examiner.com/article/new-dictionary-words-make-webster-lol-la-la-land-with-a-five-second-rule

Maybe you need to start saying it yourself Ian, make it uncool! :giggle2:

Oh Yes!!

• 2 weeks later...

Gotten is perfectly correct in American English. It was a part of British English at the time of colonisation of America but we evolved away from it while America didn't. So to say 'Got' is correct and gotten isn't just isn't right.

I always say 'gotten' and to me it's correct because that's what I was taught in school. What is funny to me is that you say you Brits have evolved away from it. And yet we were taught British English in school over here. I can't be that old, as to have learnt British English during the times of colonisation of America!!  ... can I? :hide:   :lol:

(And that was just an observation, I've been very curious about this 'got' vs 'gotten' thing ever since I joined the forum because to me 'gotten' was always the correct form and yet while I've been on here, most people say 'got'. It's really made me question my own English skills and whether I might actually remember wrong!)