Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

Weave

Title of book: Oryx and Crake

Author of book: Margaret Atwood

ISBN-10: 1844080285

ISBN-13: 978-1844080281

The Blurb:

'Pigs might not fly but they are strangely altered, so, for that matter, are wolves, and raccoons. A man, once named Jimmy, lives in a tree, wrapped in old bedsheets, now calls himself Snowman. The voice of Oryx, the woman he loved, teasingly haunts him. And the green-eyed Children of Crake are, for some reason, his responsibility'.

My thoughts on Oryx and Crake:

Yet another Margaret Atwood book to add to my collection everyone, and before I continue, let me just say, I LOVE THIS BOOK (it really does deserve the capitals):)

Lets begin...

'Oryx and Crake' tells the story of Jimmy, who is now known as Snowman, a name he has given himself. Snowman is only survivor of a virus, a virus created by Snowman's friend, Crake (his real name is Glenn).

After the virus, Snowman now lives in a tree, (Snowman survived the virus because unknown to him, Crake had been giving him the vaccination for the virus) and is responsible for Crake's children, species which Crake created, they are the perfect being, they have been created without the basic human need to quarrel, etc, they mate and they exist.

'Oryx and Crake' explores many ideas that are currently being discussed now, genetically modified animals, in Oryx and Crake, they are called 'Pigoons', Pigs whose DNA has been spliced with human genetic information and they were engineered to grow multiple organs for transplants, but now, they roam the land, packs of Pigoons which Snowman avoids.

In 'Oryx and Crake', Margaret Atwood highlights Snowman's isolation well, he may have the Children of Crake but Snowman is a different specie to them, they look at him with interest and feed him fish on a weekly basis, they only interact with him when they want to hear stories of Oryx and Crake. Snowman is a brilliant character but a jaded one, he tries to do the best that he can, while at the same time living with the voice of his former lover, Oryx, who torments him on a daily basis. Oryx was also the former teacher of Crake's children.

'Oryx and Crake' explores a world which has now changed, it highlights Snowman's isolation, frustration, confusion brilliantly but at the same time endears Snowman to the reader, you will feel genuinely sorry for Snowman. The book makes you think and I could not help thinking at the end of the book that humans are their own worse enemy.

Rating: 10/10

31GE4G15X2L.jpg

Great review Paula. I read this book last year and I also loved it. I think it is my favourite Margaret Atwood book.:roll:

Thanks for your reply Renniemist, and I am so glad you enjoyed 'Oryx and Crake' :)