Zombie Apocalypse created by Stephen Jones

Michelle

Despite reading and watching a lot of horror, I’ve always avoided Zombies, as they were the one thing which really made me, well, scared. Having gotten into The Walking Dead recently, I seem to have overcome that fear, and now seem to be making up for lost time!

Zombie Apocalypse was one of my recent purchases, along with World War Z, which I haven’t yet read. Both of these books seem to be made up of various accounts of events, using transcripts etc, but I have a feeling they are rather different in their approach. Obviously I can’t say for sure until I read it, but I get the impression that World War Z is meant to be more serious, whereas Zombie Apocalypse has a rather dark humour running through. I’ve seen reviews comparing them, but they really need to be assessed in their own strengths.

Zombie Apocalypse is a ‘mosaic’ book, made of various accounts, taking us from before the zombies, to it’s outcome. There are news reports, diary entries, police reports etc, but it’s been bought up to date with twitter conversations, emails and blog entries. Although it follows a rough timeline, the stories don’t connect – it does read like a collection which has been pulled together.

These accounts have different authors, and that does show. It also means that the different styles will be liked or disliked by various readers. I for one found the blog entries caused me the most amusement (people really will blog about anything!) and the diary entries from a 13 year old girl were my overall favourites. I also enjoyed the setting, which is mainly London – it’s always good for us UK readers to see something set where we know.

Reviews appear mixed for this one, and I guess I can see why. Personally speaking, I found it highly enjoyable, and loved the unusual style. It’s not to be taken seriously, and you’re bound to have sections which you prefer over others. There’s a lot to recommend it though, and I shall be looking out for the second book, Zombie Apocalypse Fightback.

I bought World War Z and will get to it before the movie. If you want a fun, zombie-related read, try Zombie Fallout by Mark Tufo. Review is on my Reading Log. It's certainly not a book to be taken seriously, but it is a lot of fun! :D

• 3 months later...

Ah I love zombies. Classical zombies I mean. They are so slow, and miserable. You may always outrun them unless caught by surprise. ;) Do not fear them :) I always enjoy how they are presented - big crowds, very persistent, always enraged, highly resistent to chainguns and they always die first before the primary evil in the movie/book is revealed (kind of sad lol).

I watched recently

movie. I wouldn't say it's a masterpiece but if you have some time to waste you may check and see the zombies from a different angle.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw Zombie Apocalypse in the library today, and had a flick through it. I could see it was a series of transcripts, letters, articles, etc, so I didn't borrow it because I thought it would be too much like World War Z. I might have a closer look at it the next time I'm in the library though...still undecided.

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers for this - Zombie Apocalypse now has a place on my Amazon wish list. I read World War Z on my honeymoon a couple of weeks ago and was blown away by how much I enjoyed it. Even though I've always been a fan of zombie films (two I've watched very recently and would recommend are Warm Bodies and Cockneys vs. Zombies), I'm only just discovering the world of zombie fiction. Any other recommendations would be appreciated!

I don't know why [as zombies are so ridiculous really] but they ARE scary. Think it's because it's humans changed into something sub Human maybe, and not fast , sexy, or furry [vampires and wolves!] However, can't seem to get myself to either watch these films or read the books, think it may be a scare too many for me. My daughter urged me to read a zombie Jane Austin pastiche, and yes it was quite funny [but I only read a few pages.]

• 2 weeks later...