• Announcements

• Hayley

Something Wicked This Way Comes...   10/09/2019

The Autumn Supporter Giveaway!       Welcome to the very first of the seasonal BCF supporter giveaways! This month also marks one year since I took on the forum, so I want to say an extra huge thank you to all of you for keeping this place going. I have a little bit more to say about that later but, for now, let's get to the giveaway!     The Autumn Giveaway winner will be getting two Penguin Little Black Classics, The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe and To Be Read At Dusk by Charles Dickens. Both of these little books contain three atmospheric short stories, perfect for autumnal evenings. The winner will also get Mary Shelley tea (a lavender and vanilla black tea) from Rosie Lea Tea's Literary Tea Collection (https://www.rosieleatea.co.uk/collections/literary-tea-collection) and a chocolate skull, to really get that spooky atmosphere .   and...   A special treat for a special month. The winner will choose one of the following recent paperback releases from the independent bookshop Big Green Bookshop:       The Wych Elm by Tana French A House of Ghosts by W.C. Ryan Melmoth by Sarah Perry The Familiars by Stacey Halls  The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White   The winner will be chosen via the usual random selection process in one week. Patreon supporters are entered automatically. If you aren't a patreon supporter but you'd like to join in with this giveaway, you can support here: https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum.   I really hope you're all going to like this introduction to the seasonal giveaways. It's been a lot of fun to put together. Other chocolate skulls may have been harmed during the selection process…     
Booknutt

Elizabeth Fremantle "Queens Gambit"

Have just finished reading this great first novel of Elizabeth Fremantle, and an enjoyable job she's made of it, too.  

It follows the fortunes of Katherine Parr (the last Queen of Henry VIII), and her servant girl Dot, whose experiences figure largely in the book too. In fact she has the "last word" after Katherine's death.

I liked the "upstairs/downstairs" mixture of this story.

The underbelly of life in the beautiful palaces of any King is rarely mentioned  in most historical novels. Dot's experiences as she come new to the life of a lowly but beloved servant to another new Queen of England are just as interesting as those of her mistress, surrounded by the usual splendour and intrigue of Court life. .

Has anyone else read this yet? What did you think of it?   .

. .

No, but it looks interesting.  I'd like to read more about anyone that managed to survive Henry!!  :)

And yes, the upstairs/downstairs bit sounds great.

Thanks. :)

Always a pleasure to share the excitement of a new author, Nabokovian.

Come back and let me know what you think after you've read it, won't you? :smile:

I will, for sure. :)

AIE:  Doesn't come out over here till August 6th. 

Edited by pontalba

Just a thought on that, Ponta - what about trying an online store? You could get one sent over from here, and it doesn't cost much more, in fact it's usually about the same and often cheaper if you choose good condition pre-owned..  A local bookstore could order for you to be sent from here too - but might be a bit more expensive. .

I sometimes  use that online store which reminds us of strong warrior women starting with A----- ;) and have got several books from the States which weren't available here. The lists of alternative sellers provided usually has a few useful sources . The journey time may be a couple of weeks maybe -, but better than waiting till August.    

and if all else fails - it'll be something pleasant to look forward to enjoying during the Summer :smile:   

Actually, I'd ordered it from A____n.  Those feisty ladies... :D 

And, there was indeed a copy from the UK, however it would have been about 10USD more than a new copy in August.

However.  Your post prompted me to check out ABEBooks...they had a copy, and it turns out less expensive, so it is ordered.

Thanks!

"Queen's Gambit" is soon to be out in paperback - I've already got this first novel of Eliz Fremantle on pre-order, to start off another "new author" collection. I very much enjoyed it as a hardback from the Library.

Her next is due in the Summer,I believe, but anyone else read this one?

Happy New Year to All.

Now then, fellow Fremantle fans ... Hello?? ...I know you're there, somewhere!

Anyone have thoughts on "Sisters of Treason" the next in the family?

My heart went out to Mary Grey - handicapped and undersized, she was treated like a lapdog by Mary Tudor, and derided by her fellow "ladies". Not a good way to treat the one of the remaining two sisters of Jane Grey, is it?

Happy New Year of reading to you all. Ready to chat here, anytime!