Elizabeth Fremantle "Queens Gambit"

Booknutt

Have just finished reading this great first novel of Elizabeth Fremantle, and an enjoyable job she's made of it, too.  

It follows the fortunes of Katherine Parr (the last Queen of Henry VIII), and her servant girl Dot, whose experiences figure largely in the book too. In fact she has the "last word" after Katherine's death.

I liked the "upstairs/downstairs" mixture of this story.

The underbelly of life in the beautiful palaces of any King is rarely mentioned  in most historical novels. Dot's experiences as she come new to the life of a lowly but beloved servant to another new Queen of England are just as interesting as those of her mistress, surrounded by the usual splendour and intrigue of Court life. .

Has anyone else read this yet? What did you think of it?   .

. .

Just a thought on that, Ponta - what about trying an online store? You could get one sent over from here, and it doesn't cost much more, in fact it's usually about the same and often cheaper if you choose good condition pre-owned..  A local bookstore could order for you to be sent from here too - but might be a bit more expensive. .

I sometimes  use that online store which reminds us of strong warrior women starting with A----- ;) and have got several books from the States which weren't available here. The lists of alternative sellers provided usually has a few useful sources . The journey time may be a couple of weeks maybe -, but better than waiting till August.    

and if all else fails - it'll be something pleasant to look forward to enjoying during the Summer :smile:   

Actually, I'd ordered it from A____n.  Those feisty ladies... :D 

And, there was indeed a copy from the UK, however it would have been about 10USD more than a new copy in August.

However.  Your post prompted me to check out ABEBooks...they had a copy, and it turns out less expensive, so it is ordered.

Thanks!

• 8 months later...

"Queen's Gambit" is soon to be out in paperback - I've already got this first novel of Eliz Fremantle on pre-order, to start off another "new author" collection. I very much enjoyed it as a hardback from the Library.

Her next is due in the Summer,I believe, but anyone else read this one?

Happy New Year to All.

• 2 years later...

Now then, fellow Fremantle fans ... Hello?? ...I know you're there, somewhere!

Anyone have thoughts on "Sisters of Treason" the next in the family?

My heart went out to Mary Grey - handicapped and undersized, she was treated like a lapdog by Mary Tudor, and derided by her fellow "ladies". Not a good way to treat the one of the remaining two sisters of Jane Grey, is it?

Happy New Year of reading to you all. Ready to chat here, anytime!