What do you avoid?

Also Jodi Picoult, and I realise I am in the minority there. I have read many of her books and find them all to be basically the same, sickly sweet feel good story that bores me. Always open minded though, I will still give her a try if someone recommends one of hers, but if anyone recommends Barbara Cartland, I will actively avoid them :)

I'm with you on Picoult. I had to read two of her books for my library group, and thought exactly what you've said! If we get a third one selected, I'll try it, but won't guarantee I won't give up on it!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I avoid romances, especially Mills & Boon.

Historical novels - I try reading them every so often but I don't think I've ever finished one

Novels written in the present tense

Another thing that I don't necessarily avoid, but I've noticed that the more quotes there are inside the cover praising the novel, the less likely I am to get past the first few chapters.

• 4 months later...

I avoid most Young Adult books, especially if they're supernatural ones.  All of the covers look the same when you walk down the aisles in the bookstore!  I know there are good ones but it's so hard to find them...

I also avoid all of the BDSM erotica books that have come out in droves since the release of 50 Shades of Grey.