What do you avoid?

I avoid animal stories, because dead set the animal always gets it, remember Cujo (but he was very ill, rabies and all), but you know what I mean x

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I avoid animal stories, because dead set the animal always gets it.
Sadly true; I think by and large writers have a perverse streak in them as far as animal stories are concerned. They think that they are striking a chord with their readers by killing off the poor creatures. I recall reading an otherwise great story called Bel Ria by Sheila Burnford back in 1981; the ending really traumatised me for a long time and I am an animal lover.

What i avoid:

Romance

Self-help books (dont even get me started on these!)

anything written by jane austen (purely cos my mum watches pride and prejudice at least once a month and if i ever read about mr darcy id want to burn the page)

and anything with poirot in, just cos on tv he seems like a ..i cant use the words i want here.

and bond, james bond.

anything written by jane austen (purely cos my mum watches pride and prejudice at least once a month and if i ever read about mr darcy id want to burn the page)

That's a shame. Perhaps you could try Northanger Abbey instead - it's quite humourous and a very clever satire on Gothic novels. It's my absolute favourite of hers that I've read so far (much as I loved P&P, it didn't match up to NA in my opinion!).

That's a shame. Perhaps you could try Northanger Abbey instead - it's quite humourous and a very clever satire on Gothic novels. It's my absolute favourite of hers that I've read so far (much as I loved P&P, it didn't match up to NA in my opinion!).

It's a definite favourite of mine also - I don't think people are generally as familiar with it as some of her other novels.

I can NOT ABIDE chick-lit, Mills & Boon, easy reads like Danielle Steele. What is the point? Read to expand your mind and increase your imagination and creativity, otherwise you may as well be a couch potato and watch drivvle like 'X' Factor etc. It may be harsh, but it's my opinion and, o'h it makes my blood BOIL !!!!!!!:D

Kirstykat, I know what you're saying, but IMO there's nothing wrong with reading something simple or reading just for pure enjoyment. It doesn't always have to be about expanding your mind or your vocabulary.

Personally I love reading books that provide a challenge or teach me something new but at the same time I absolutely advocate that people read what they enjoy - only that way can people grow to love reading.

When I was younger I was on a bit of a reading loop with Enid Blyton (whose books I absolutely adored). My mum was concerned that I wouldn't develop my reading and tried to find other books for me to read. It didn't work and I progressed in my own time. I think for me though I had developed a love for reading that grew at its own rate until I eventually studied literature at degree level - to think my mum worried once!

One of the most fulfilling aspects of my job is listening to people, especially children, rave about something they've read and enjoyed.

I agree with Mia and Michelle...sometimes I like to read something just for fun, as a diversion or an escape from stress. I don't always have to learn. For me, reading must first and foremost entertain me, and I am often entertained by intelligent, well-written books. I read a lot of non-fiction and classics when I'm in the mood. But I can also read silly stuff, just like I can sit through a 10 hour marathon of America's Next Top Model.:D If you don't enjoy yourself once in awhile, what's the point?

Well said Echo! I also like to read challenging books and like to learn something new - those who have been on here since the beginning of this forum know of my love for the classics, historical fiction and up to trying something new. But like a lot of other people on here I like to escape into a world of my own, read for the sake of pure pleasure and to destress.

I certainly do not think that this type of reading should be scorned - it has it's place in society and that those who do look down on this are the ones with a problem. If this attitude is adopted with the younger generation then it is hardly surprising that youngsters lose the will! Reading should be enjoyed for the pleasure of the written word and thoughts / ideas of the author. What is more important is that people keep reading as it will still expand their horizons no matter what the genre

I completely agree with the last few posts. I like reading a lot of classics, but I need to intersperse them with 'light' reads to give myself a break. Something like Bill Bryson, Roald Dahl or JK Rowling (or any other kids book) does the trick for me.

I'm with the posts above, too. I do love the classics and the so-called important books. It is good to be challenged. BUT there are times when you just want to trun of your brain, so to speak, and enjoy a fluffy fun escape from reality. It's the same with movies. Sometimes it's nice to watch Good Night and Good Luck (which I love!) but sometimes you just want to laugh with Elle from Legally Blonde, right? It's this diversity that makes literature (and movies) so much fun.

you just want to laugh with Elle from Legally Blonde, right?

"You got into Harvard?"

"Yeah! What like its hard?"

I love those movies :D

Back on topic,

I read for enjoyment, if I wanted to read for learning I would go get a Master's Degree. I read for fun and enjoyment. To me books are for fun and enjoyment.

• 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I avoid chick-lit and those real-life abuse stories. I have also been avoiding Jane Austin after reading Pride and Prejudice which I hated, although I will probably try one of hers again at a later stage. And I'm avoiding the 50 Shades of Grey series like the plague.