What do you avoid?

OK, we have had our problem with threads and our predictability thread and lot's of others that touch the subject of disliking books. This is your place to say "what books/authors/genres/etc do you consciously steer clear of when browsing for new books?

I skip over crime because, even though I have never read any adult crime, I assume it to be predictable. Is this something I am missing out on? Also I always move on when I see sci/fi, even though there is sci/fi I have enjoyed a lot on tv or in film. Why?

I steer clear of John Grisham's because I have read three of his books and am bored with the same style even though I enjoyed all the books.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I avoid Virginia Andrews and anyone who is reputed to be anything like her, as having read several of her books as a teenager, I now no longer need to read any more of her tripe, because it's all identical (even though she's dead and it's now written by a ghost writer - quite fitting, really!).

I avoid ... stepping in dog poo.

However, when I'm browsing in a book store, I don't even wander into non-fiction or biographies unless looking for a specific book.

In the fiction sections, I head straight for the fantasy/sci fi, then over to the mysteries, then I'll drift through the novels, romance and young adult areas. I've listened to a few audio books, but wouldn't buy one unless going on a long trip - which I should've done today since I drove from Los Angeles to San Francisco today and am typing on my little laptop in a motel room.

I avoit chicklit as I find it trivial shallow stupid stuff. Women's lit is okay, but I'm not overly keen on the genre.

I avoid most high fantasy involving magic and too much made-up crap. There was only one Tolkien. The others are shoddy.

Avoid books with pink front covers as I am very self conscious and don't want to be mistaken as a girly girly.

Avoid horror like the plague as I don't see the point, avoid crime books - I like crima dramas though. Have bought myself an Agatha Christie to get into... Piorot. (however it is spelt)

Also avoid sci-fi because meh, never really interested in it.

Will avoid Ernest Hemmingway in the future, how he has been labelled a literary genius I don't know. I am reading (and will finish if it kills me, which it probably will...) because he can't write for toffees. Also seems like a complete arsehole.

Avoid all books with insipid womensy covers. I don't care if it is a good book, why trivialise it by putting a handbag on it? No thank you.

However, when I'm browsing in a book store, I don't even wander into non-fiction or biographies unless looking for a specific book.

Me neither - it has to be a biog/autobiog of someone I'm really, really interested in for me to pick it up.

I avoid any book with extreme violence, cruelty to animals and human depravity in any shape or form. Also, I have to be really honest and say that I don't feel comfortable with homosexuality and avoid any book (or movie) with it as the principal theme. I apologise if this offends anyone, but I am merely stating my view as asked and not moralising in the least.

Generally, any book where the author's name is at least twice the size of the title! :) So John Grisham is definitely out then.

I don't look at crime, thrillers or horror. It's just that there are so many books that I do want to read, I don't really want to make time for books I have no interest in. I hope that doesn't sound snobbish, because it isn't meant to be!

But if someone recommended anything, I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand.

I don't read a lot of sci-fi/fantasy either, even though - like Emma also said - I enjoy it on TV and film.

Weird.

I avoid Catherine Cookson books, I just don't find them that interesting x

My staple diet in my teens, but I haven't read one of hers for about 25 years!

Generally, any book where the author's name is at least twice the size of the title! :roll: So John Grisham is definitely out then.

I saw a book today which I thought was Stephen King, but when I got closer it said Foreword by Stephen King in humungous letters in pink (I think) right across the middle of the cover, and the author's name (who I can't even remember) in smaller letters at the top! :)

Geoffrey Archer books on principal

What principle?

I avoid Sci-Fi - it just doesn't appeal, and anything like Mills and Boon novels. When my children were young I read only chick-lit, but now I avoid that too!

Me neither - it has to be a biog/autobiog of someone I'm really, really interested in for me to pick it up.

Ditto! I forgot about auto/biographies - these are most definitely the genre I avoid. The only ones I like are graphic novel-style ones!

The dominant trend for auto/biographies is one that really annoys me - especially with so many being ghostwritten! And I would never read any of the so-called 'misery-lit' books that are so popular right now... And people think some of my favourite books are depressing! :roll:

I saw a book today which I thought was Stephen King, but when I got closer it said Foreword by Stephen King in humungous letters in pink (I think) right across the middle of the cover, and the author's name (who I can't even remember) in smaller letters at the top! :)

That's exactly what I'm talking about! :lol: How blimmin' cheeky is that?

(Nothing against Stephen King, btw: it's just how silly the ginormous 'LOOK! HERE'S A FAMOUS WRITER!!' typeface looks. And can be used to manipulate readers, as Bagpuss demonstrates)

I avoid anything with a romantic cover picture. Also sci fi, though I read an Isaac Asimov book years ago that was very good. Something about robots turning on the human masters? I suppose they are all about that sort of thing?

I love biographies.

I think Geoffrey Archer has some excellent story lines, but just a pity someone didn't actually write the books. A bit like Tom Cruise movies, good but a pity someone else wasn't in them..