Star Trek: Into Darkness

Raven

Are you doing a full rewatch of TOS, pontalba?  I noticed you said you'd been watching a fair bit recently and it's whet my appetite a bit.  I have all three of the remastered seasons on Blu-ray, but I've only ever watched 'selected' episodes from them, and I'm thinking now might be a good time to dive in and watch the whole series again (which I haven't done in years).  I might even watch them with the new special effects, although that feels kind of sacrilegious to me :o  :giggle2:

That is my plan.  My husband had only seen very few items of Star Trek.  Then we got married.....heh

We've now seen both of JJ's version, the new ones.

Plus we've watched selected eps of TOS...but our plan now is to watch in chronological order TOS.  Then watch TOS's films in order.  We've watched three already, but out of order.  He is an engineer, and having it lined up in chronological order is the way to go.  I agree.  It's been decades since I saw the original, in entirety, and I really look forward to it.

After that we are considering ST:TNG. /phew/

We've had to agree on what to call each incarnation...the new ones we call JJ's version/Star Trek.

Haven't invested in Blu-Ray because we must have several hundred DVD's around here....not repurchasing them!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question. 

My husband, in one of the episodes he saw long ago, saw a Romulan Ambassador. Not a commander, but an ambassador. 

He has googled, and neither of us can come up with anything, except a woman ambassador, but husband remembers a male in the role.

The question is, does anyone remember such a person?

Plus we've watched selected eps of TOS...but our plan now is to watch in chronological order TOS.  Then watch TOS's films in order.  We've watched three already, but out of order.  He is an engineer, and having it lined up in chronological order is the way to go.  I agree.  It's been decades since I saw the original, in entirety, and I really look forward to it.

Aha, but will you watch them in broadcast order or production order? :giggle2:  ;)

I might actually watch season 3 first.  I watch that year so rarely (unsurprisingly!) :smile:

I have a question. 

My husband, in one of the episodes he saw long ago, saw a Romulan Ambassador. Not a commander, but an ambassador. 

He has googled, and neither of us can come up with anything, except a woman ambassador, but husband remembers a male in the role.

The question is, does anyone remember such a person?

There are Romulan Ambassadors in both The Final Frontier and The Undiscovered Country, but I don't remember one in the original series.

Aha, but will you watch them in broadcast order or production order? :giggle2:  ;)

I might actually watch season 3 first.  I watch that year so rarely (unsurprisingly!) :smile:

Good question!  I actually have the old VHS tapes that Columbia put out years ago, but finally caved and bought the DVDs. I know they are not in broadcast order, but how much trouble would it be to sort it out.  I could get the list from Wiki I suppose, and check off as we go. hmmmmm Glad you brought that up.

Hah, the much maligned 3rd season.  :P

There are Romulan Ambassadors in both The Final Frontier and The Undiscovered Country, but I don't remember one in the original series.

He thought it was in TOS, but I don't think it could have been.  I thought he might mean the episode where Mark Lenard played the Rom Commander, whose ship was destroyed...but no, I showed him Lenard's picture, and no dice. He is quite sure it was a male ambassador.  Well.  Just have to watch and see!  ;)

And thanks. :)

I don't remember there being many Ambassadors in original Trek, the odd one hanging around the bridge insisting Kirk do something he doesn't want to, or in Journey to Babel is about it.  There were a couple in TNG, as I recall.  I did have a flick through my copy of the Star Trek Encyclopaedia last night, but I couldn't find anything either.

Edited by Raven

Wasn't Spock's father the Vulvan Ambassador? Is it possible your hubby misremembered?

Yup, Sarek was the Vulcan Ambassador, but I asked him the same thing.  He says no. 

Time will tell.  I did show husband a picture. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just been to see this for the second time and I have to confess I enjoyed it more the second time around. 

I still think it falls over at a key moment of the film, but on the second viewing it was slightly easier to stomach.  The other worrying part is the plot holes were a lot harder to ignore this time around, so I don't know how well it will stand up on repeat viewings in the future. 

If I could just switch my brain off and enjoy the ride it would be fine, but surely that's not the point of Star Trek?

.................................. but surely that's not the point of Star Trek?

Ahhh, hah!  Yes,  I believe that is exactly the bone of contention regarding the new Enterprise. Haha, pun intended.  :D

The entire point of the original series (especially, IMO) is that Man is Better, Man (the generic Man) has learned things, that diversity is wonderful, that there are others more powerful than we humans are, and a plethora of amazing facts.  It isn't the technology, although that is certainly a conduit.....it's that Man has matured, evolved, as it were. 

Believe me, I enjoyed JJ's version, and he did fit some so-called "lessons" into the mix, but it ain't the original vision.  I do have hopes that with the launch of the 5 year mission at the end of this second film there will be improvement in that area.  /fingers crossed!/

Ahhh, hah!  .  I do have hopes that with the launch of the 5 year mission at the end of this second film there will be improvement in that area.  /fingers crossed!/

Is that a 5 year mission to do 5 more films though....... ;)

Is that a 5 year mission to do 5 more films though....... ;)

Actually, it makes me speculate on the outside chance of  a new series.  Probably not, but one may hopefully speculate....... :ontome:

Edited by pontalba

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday we went to the cinema and saw the film. I quite liked it! Admittedly I haven't seen a whole lot of Star Trek, just Star Trek: Enterprise (all seasons), some episodes of Star Trek: The Original Series and a few episodes of two of the other series (I think it was The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine, they were on TV a couple of years ago when I was in the UK. I don't remember too much of it). So I can't really compare the film much with original vision or what not, but I enjoyed it. Some things were predictable but a lot of other things weren't, to me, so I enjoyed myself :). Also, the 3D was pretty well done in my opinion, better than the 3D of most films I've seen in the cinema (in 3D).